Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Digivolt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm Still on V4 but I have an issue, is there a way to route your FX sends back into a bus ? or is the true option to never use FX sends and just use Busses ?

Basically want to apply some filter FX but because I have individual tracks going into FX sends, it would mean I'd have to have inserts doing carbon copies of the filter on every FX send I have in order to get a uniform effect unless I could just route the FX into 1 single bus along with the other busses
You can route FX sends to buses but you can’t create feedback loops.

I use both FX sends and buses all the time, each works better in different situations. Especially since you can drag an insert onto a send section and it will automatically create an FX track with it.

This is the buggiest release of all time. Constant crashes, devices losing their controller settings, constant restarts on an otherwise perfectly stable win10 machine. C'mon Presonus,smarten up.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

trusampler wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:17 pm This is the buggiest release of all time. Constant crashes, devices losing their controller settings, constant restarts on an otherwise perfectly stable win10 machine. C'mon Presonus,smarten up.
I think it’s more an example of poor timing. A few plugins I use crash in V5 and it appears to be due to those plugins’ incompatibility with the newest frameworks V5 is using. Meanwhile, a lot of plugin devs are behind on updates right now. Until they get an update, I just have to remember not to use them in V5.

Two practical solutions that worked for my sessions was only loading V4 sessions in V4, as well as noting any plugins that crash V5 in the crash log so I can temporarily block list them to make it easier to keep track of. VPS Avenger is an example.

Switched from Ableton to Studio One. Now that I have completed my first track in Studio One, I think I can honestly say that. I love Ableton but I found it increasingly difficult to get out of the "loop" mindset that comes with the Ableton scene view. And Ableton Live 10 never got to that level of stability that Live 9 had. It started to become annoying.

I had previously played around with Cubase, Logic, FL Studio, Pro Tools, and a few others, and I do use Reaper and Nuendo for purposes other than music production. But Studio One was actually the first DAW other than Ableton that managed to keep my attention long enough to complete a music track.

Studio One V5 feels solid as a rock here (Win10). Not a single crash or hick-up ever. Everything is smooth and reacts immediate. A few GUI quirks and once you get to larger sets Studio One is not as performant as I was hoping, but all nothing to start loosing sleep about.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Did they implement multiple rulers in version 5? (e.g. Bars PLUS minutes/seconds)

macmuse wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:17 pm Did they implement multiple rulers in version 5? (e.g. Bars PLUS minutes/seconds)
No, not yet

I do sometimes experience error crash dialogs with the Studio One Audio Bend tool after I select an existing bend marker to drag its position or to access the right-click menu; it also happens sometimes when I try to create a new bend marker when clicking within an audio clip. When that continues to happen, I will usually shut down and restart Studio One. I'm not sure what I am doing in Studio One that causes the state of the audio bend markers to become corrupted. I experienced the same problem with Studio One 4, so the problem in Studio One 5 could be a carryover from Studio One 4.

Another annoying behavior (that seems to be a carryover from Studio One 4.6) happens sometimes when I right click on something in Studio One, and instead of getting a pop-up menu, Studio One moves it into the background, and whatever was behind it (another application; the Windows desktop; etc.), come up as the foreground window.

As both of these issues appear to have some connection to a right mouse click, I wonder if it is not necessarily a problem with Studio One 4 or 5, but a problem with my Logitech pointing device (and/or its driver); I sometimes experience wonkiness with the mouse right click outside of Studio One (e.g. sometimes when I click the right mouse button, nothing happens, or sometimes the pop-up menu is quickly dismissed). :shrug:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

oneway wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:38 pm
Digivolt wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm Still on V4 but I have an issue, is there a way to route your FX sends back into a bus ? or is the true option to never use FX sends and just use Busses ?

Basically want to apply some filter FX but because I have individual tracks going into FX sends, it would mean I'd have to have inserts doing carbon copies of the filter on every FX send I have in order to get a uniform effect unless I could just route the FX into 1 single bus along with the other busses
You can route FX sends to buses but you can’t create feedback loops.

I use both FX sends and buses all the time, each works better in different situations. Especially since you can drag an insert onto a send section and it will automatically create an FX track with it.
I must be blind, I've never noticed (maybe because I wasn't ever looking) the "main" routing panel on the FX sends :dog:

Has anyone compared Pro and Sphere?

I would like to test a trial version of V5, or at least of V4.5.
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

Pro and Sphere are the same. The only difference is the way you pay. Actually, there is no Studio One 5 Sphere, it's Studio One 5 Pro that's included in the Sphere service and also other stuff. I would say Sphere is worth only if you will use the rest of the content, not just Studio One. If you do it just for Studio One, you'll actually spend a little bit more and you don't own the software, you rent it.
trusampler wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:17 pm This is the buggiest release of all time. Constant crashes, devices losing their controller settings, constant restarts on an otherwise perfectly stable win10 machine. C'mon Presonus,smarten up.
For me it's the most stable x.0 release ever. I actually continued a track from v4.6 and finished it without any problems.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm Pro and Sphere are the same. The only difference is the way you pay. Actually, there is no Studio One 5 Sphere, it's Studio One 5 Pro that's included in the Sphere service and also other stuff. I would say Sphere is worth only if you will use the rest of the content, not just Studio One.
What is the best price for SO Pro (upgrade/crossgrade/seasonal deals)?

When do you expect SO 6?

What do (any of) you think about the additional content of Sphere?
Last edited by commerce on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commerce wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 pm
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm Pro and Sphere are the same. The only difference is the way you pay. Actually, there is no Studio One 5 Sphere, it's Studio One 5 Pro that's included in the Sphere service and also other stuff. I would say Sphere is worth only if you will use the rest of the content, not just Studio One.

When do you expect SO 6?

What do (any of) you think about the additonal content of Sphere?
- 200 bucks (crossgrade, at least in my case)

- 2022 the earliest

- cool, in case you need/want all the stuff. If (extensive) notation is no big deal for you and you already have decent 3rd party vst and samples there is no need imo...

hlecram wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 pm
- 200 bucks (crossgrade, at least in my case)
I found this page:
https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Crossgrade

And it seems to be $300.
I have at least two of the listed DAWs.
And I will probably have also the Artist OEM soon. That would be $300 too.

How will I go to $200?
hlecram wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 pm- 2022 the earliest
Then Sphere is definitely more expensive.
hlecram wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 pm - cool, in case you need/want all the stuff. If (extensive) notation is no big deal for you and you already have decent 3rd party vst and samples there is no need imo...
I definitely do not need the notation.
And I have NI Komplete, iZotope etc.
But generally many of us often want to have also the VSTs that we do not really need...

I usually like to own the software I use and that's why I find buying it is the better choice for me, especially since I don't find sphere to offer anything of real value for me. If it was more like rent to own, and after you get to the value of studio one pro to own it, that would've been great value.

commerce wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 pm
Wait for Black Friday.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”