Attempt at some Melodic Techno

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Wrigs21
KVRer
17 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 am

Hi guys

So like many I’ve picked up Ableton during lockdown and started having a play. Steep old learning curve but hoping to get some feedback on all/any fronts so can pick up mistakes I’m making early days.

https://soundcloud.com/user-268039771/loosing-it

The first one the eagle eyed amongst you may point out, is that yes in my haste I clearly can’t spell! Amended but stays in the link :)

I’ve called it melodic techno, not sure it’s quite where it fits but I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Wrigs21
KVRer
17 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 am

Any thoughts on improvements guys?

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19722 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:56 am

Hey Steve,

Since it seems nobody wants to listen to some new guy's stuff, I'm give some feedback as long as you promise not to rip my head off for being honest.

1. It is WAY TOO SOFT. You really need to bring the overall volume up for starters.

2. The drums are horrible. Did you put any kind of EQ, compressor or anything on the kick? It sounds like you just took a sample and played it and that's it.

3. If I took a spectral analyzer to this I'm sure there'd be no top end. Everything, from what my ear can hear, sounds like it's all in the lower mids. Nothing stands out. It's just one glob.

In short, it's pretty bad. I'm not even going to comment on the music. I'm going to guess this is your first track ever. My advice is to go watch some Youtube videos on mixing. Go to this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarrenHuartRecording

The guy really knows his stuff. There is a lot to learn. Take your time. Absorb as much as you can.

Good luck!

Wrigs21
KVRer
17 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:46 am

Ha ha no I’ll take the battering :) I stuck it on to get feedback so you can grumble when it’s given.

The drums weren’t a sample but yes admittedly only been learning it for a few months so this is one of the first I’ve put together. Clearly the mixing and mastering need work. So I’ve used an EQ on the kick plus a saturator plus a second EQ to allow a little more of the main element to push through. Is it the kick thats the issue or the drum composition? (Or perhaps all of it)

You mention you won’t get into the Music but only way to improve is to get the feedback so feel free to add into the mix given your the only one thats taken the time to feedback to a newbie. Will take a look at the video suggested.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19722 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 am

Wrigs21 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:46 am
Ha ha no I’ll take the battering :) I stuck it on to get feedback so you can grumble when it’s given.

The drums weren’t a sample but yes admittedly only been learning it for a few months so this is one of the first I’ve put together. Clearly the mixing and mastering need work. So I’ve used an EQ on the kick plus a saturator plus a second EQ to allow a little more of the main element to push through. Is it the kick thats the issue or the drum composition? (Or perhaps all of it)

You mention you won’t get into the Music but only way to improve is to get the feedback so feel free to add into the mix given your the only one thats taken the time to feedback to a newbie. Will take a look at the video suggested.
Musically, ironically, it's the best part of the track. It isn't terrible. In fact, parts are interesting. But the production is so dull (that's the word I'm looking for) that it's just so hard to get into the music. It all seems to be buried in mud. What do you have on your mix buss? Anything at all?

If you send me the individual parts, I can remix it for you and then you can hear how it should sound at least a little better produced, not that I'm a professional. If you like, go to my Wagtunes Corner thread and listen to the last song "Once In My Lifetime" and you'll hear the difference production wise. Granted, it's a disco tune and may not be your personal taste, but hopefully, the production will give you some ideas.

I remember what it was like starting out so, for whatever reason, I want to help you get past some of the learning curve.

So if you want to put the individual tracks (drums, bass, whatever) on Dropbox and PM me a download link, I'll go grab them and do a quick remix and you can hear the difference. I will also include a text file with everything I did.

It's time for me to start giving back for everything that's been done for me at this forum. Because trust me, my stuff was God awful at one time.

Wrigs21
KVRer
17 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:44 am

You would be quite correct in that there’s nothing on the mix buss. Yes do notice the difference as you say. Thank you for the kind offer. This does however require me however working out how to send individual elements of a track first of course :) Will give it a look.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19722 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:54 am

Wrigs21 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:44 am
You would be quite correct in that there’s nothing on the mix buss. Yes do notice the difference as you say. Thank you for the kind offer. This does however require me however working out how to send individual elements of a track first of course :) Will give it a look.
When you export your song, there should be an option to export individual tracks. Do this one at a time. Make sure all FX are turned off before exporting a track. I want everything bone dry so I can start from scratch.

Dropbox is free. Make a folder, upload everything to that folder and then create a share to the folder and send me the link. I'll be able to download the tracks and work on them. Of course if you zip all the tracks up, it's just one file to upload.

Spring Goose
KVRian
977 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:23 am

Steve, i love it. Decent bassline and the arp is similar to Westbam - Wizards of the sonic which is one of my favourite tracks. Wagtunes has already spoken to you about the mix. TBH tho i think that it's trance not techno. Wizards of the sonic is trance. You can find Wizards of the sonic on You Tube so you can see what i mean about your arp.

Wrigs21
KVRer
17 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

Ah know the Red Jerry remix. Thank you. Yeah I wasn’t quite sure what to class it as. Going to spend some time checking out how to mix/master as clearly need to work on these elements. Appreciate taking the time out to comment

Spring Goose
KVRian
977 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:34 am

No problem

User avatar
Bansaw
KVRian
1202 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm

In terms of mixing, the kick is hotter (louder) than the other elements so it sounds unbalanced. I know you might be going for a kick-driven track, but the kick is too hot imho.
With tracks like these you need some ear candy in there otherwise it gets boring fast. E.g. some one-shot acid plucks with a delay on. Automate the filter on some elements. Check out plugins e.g. GrossBeat and Izotopes StutterEdit to add some interest to the arrangement. It needs some variety in there.
Overall its not bad though; definitely some potential. Its not my kind of music, but a certain crowd might like it.

Spring Goose
KVRian
977 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm
GrossBeat
Do you use this? Do you know how it compares to Shaperbox?

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
3122 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm

I like it, the mixing wasn't too bad on my surround speakers. It's better techno than I can muster.
I cant do genre's, and dont know much about them as I don't listen to music as recreation. My
brain will automatically record any sound and store it for reference, so being inspired by music
can be problematic for me.

Anyway, great effort I thought, lots of useful advice here from guys who know that stuff :tu:

Spring Goose
KVRian
977 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 pm

pekbro wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm
My
brain will automatically record any sound and store it for reference, so being inspired by music
can be problematic for me.
I might have the same or similar problem i think. I'm very careful what i listen to, because i might not want something influencing me.

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
3122 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 pm
pekbro wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm
My
brain will automatically record any sound and store it for reference, so being inspired by music
can be problematic for me.
I might have the same or similar problem i think. I'm very careful what i listen to, because i might not want something influencing me.
Well it has it's advantages, I don't have to quantize or use a tuner and I typically
only need 1 take on a performance. :shrug:

Return to “Music Cafe”