Best lightweight plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Full Bucket synths and plugins. Very CPU efficient
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Dencheg wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 pm
Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm Off the top of my head:

- Parawave Rapid
- Sonic Academy Ana 2
- Synapse Audio Dune 3 (this is probably lighter than sylenth1)
- Melda MSoundFactory

That's the few I can attest that I can run multiple instances with no issues. I'm sure there's others
While having ANA 2 as my favorite synth, I don't think it qualifies as lightweight. I think modern wavetable synth are mostly medium-weight (by design).
Also a lot of stuff is happening on the Rapid UI, it can't be lightweight.

Lightweight are (for instance)
TAL synths
Sylenth1
Sure if we're talking pure lightweight with no frills, then of course. I personally haven't used any tal synths but I hear good things about them. Sylenth1 and dune 3 are the lightest synths that I've personally used (along with MSoundFactory, not sure what this runs on but it's crazy efficient as well). But for me, on my PC and mac, Ana 2 doesn't use that much more than sylenth1. Of course I can run many more instances of sylenth1 over Ana 2 but that didn't make Ana 2 any less cpu efficient for my needs. If we're talking purely statistical data then sure, but I'm no scientist nor am I deep testing these synths. I just simply compare how many instances I can run compared to Serum, which is known to be quite cpu taxing.

And also, I do see your point about semi-lightweight, simply because Ana 2 (like all other wavetable synths) by nature, just do much more than Sylenth1 being just a VA synth. For what Ana 2 does though, if you're not going balls to the wall crazy with modulating everything, then I personally thing it's really good on cpu. Is it the lightest? No. That's where Sylenth1 and Dune 3 shine (and I assume Tal? Again never used these). But for still being semi-lightweight, I think it fits well.
Yo.

MemoryMoon Messiah 2.1

A recent discovery I made when faced with the same question: what to have on my old laptop when travelling.

Have to add to the pool of Sylenth. Not only will it work on mostly anything, you can find hundreds if not thousands of great preset banks that will cover any genre under the sun.
Take care :wink:

Ranoka wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 pm DC offset!
https://youtu.be/vFPRxTNZPMQ
:lol:
A well-behaved signature.

I tend to just go with older stuff that still sounds as good today as it did ages ago when it was a CPU hog, but computers have caught up:

Synplant, Absynth, FM8, Massive 1.5

(edited: spelling)
Last edited by adamjay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamjay wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:22 am I tend to just go with older stuff that still sounds as good today as it did ages ago when it was a CPU hog, but computers have caught up:

ASynplant, Absynth, FM8, Massive 1.5
:idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I always forget that Massive was released back in 2007
Take care :wink:

Shame a lot of older plugins are just not available anymore. I remember Linplugs Albino 3 to be quit nice and not too heavy on the CPU, same with reFX Vanguard

Synapse Audio also makes a Synth called Hydra, it's super light on the CPU :)

Charlatan by Blaukraut Engineering
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Skandiluz wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm Off the top of my head:

- Parawave Rapid (I stand corrected. I had this running on gpu which is something not everyone will be able to do. When using CPU, it's not quite as lightweight as I originally thought)
- Sonic Academy Ana 2
- Synapse Audio Dune 3 (this is probably lighter than sylenth1)
- Melda MSoundFactory

That's the few I can attest that I can run multiple instances with no issues. I'm sure there's others
I do agree about Dune 3; Sylenth1 is light but Dune 3 is even lighter! Insane synth.
I also find that the Synthmasters and Sunrizer are incredibly CPU efficient.
"FriendZone"

paulm12 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:36 am I do agree about Dune 3; Sylenth1 is light but Dune 3 is even lighter! Insane synth.
I also find that the Synthmasters and Sunrizer are incredibly CPU efficient.
FM8 is also really light on CPU

I must be using Dune 3 wrong because it always uses more CPU than Sylenth1 with similar sounding patches. It's still really lightweight though.

Return to “Instruments”