One Synth Challenge #138: Surge (MrKarolus Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -138-surge

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #138! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Report Bugs Here, and If you want to get involved in the development Read this

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

A subtractive synth with 7 oscillator algorithms. 3 Osc per voice. Patches have layers/scenes, which allows extremely complicated sounds, and way way more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBUxC1NmOQ

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a small cash bonus of $30. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

$100 USD (or about 85 Euro) : Anonymous cash prize to one lucky winner! Thank you anonymous person! (Will be sent via Paypal, zelle, or another way if simple.)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

SoundGym : 6 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:24 am, edited 9 times in total.

FIRST! :P

z.prime wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pmFIRST! :P
"The first shall be last, and the last shall be first" :ud:

Surge is really a good choice. I followed their development activities ... I think it's the same name as in #122 and yet a different synth. Look what the change.log has to say about all the additions, improvements and stuff. These are crazy productive guys: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/
I wonder what happens once Vital, Matt Tytles new beast comes out and hopefully it is still donation ware. Do we really need commercial synths then anymore?

Do we know somebody, who has compiled the vst2 version, yet? If so, I'd be thrilled, but if not then I will try to do it... errrrrr, but it doesn't come with a MSVS solution :neutral: ....well, we shall see.

Taron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 pm Do we know somebody, who has compiled the vst2 version, yet? If so, I'd be thrilled, but if not then I will try to do it... errrrrr, but it doesn't come with a MSVS solution :neutral: ....well, we shall see.
I think TJShredder was talking about this in the Surge post, not sure what’s happening.
VST3 doesn’t work for me, VST3i does!?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I was just thinking about Surge the other day - a fine opportunity to explore the latest developments!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Well, I do get it to run with KV_Element, but it's not too nice to work that way, of course. Anyway, I remember having enjoyed Surge a lot, too, so this could get interesting. Wished I had the time to figure out the vst2 compile, but chances are slim. Again, we shall see! Hopefully TJ will cause something good over there. 8)

Taron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 pm Well, I do get it to run with KV_Element, but it's not too nice to work that way, of course. Anyway, I remember having enjoyed Surge a lot, too, so this could get interesting. Wished I had the time to figure out the vst2 compile, but chances are slim.
Have you tried Cakewalk by BandLab? It is a great free DAW that let you work with VST3 instruments-FXs (64-bit and 32-bit) and it is constantly developing. :wink:
Last edited by L-EctroBit on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is this the continuation of the "old" cakewalk? I think, it was one of the first DAWs I ever fell in love with back in the day...I think, I used it during my home studio days with all my old gear, way before vst was an option. I haven't even thought about it in 20+ years. Brings back very hazy memories of mine, also including Nuendo later on... tsss... anyway, I'm downloading it right now! Thanks for the tip!
I still love MuLab and know not, if I will stray from it just yet, but it may be good to shake things up every now and then. :)

Taron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 pm I still love MuLab and know not, if I will stray from it just yet, but it may be good to shake things up every now and then. :)
Just take it as an option to Mulab. Cakewalk is my primary DAW right now and I'm amazed it's free. It is about to receive a major update in the next days. I hope this helps you. :)

Oooh. I was just thinking of downloading the update, anyway. Surge is definitely one of the OSC synths that stuck with me, and this looks like a gigantic improvement on the version from OSC 122. Can’t wait to get rolling.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:33 pmDo we really need commercial synths then anymore?
No. Although, they do make GAS more interesting :phones: :wink:

I'm assuming the usual effects limitations apply to Surge Effects Bank?

Taron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 pm Do we know somebody, who has compiled the vst2 version, yet? If so, I'd be thrilled, but if not then I will try to do it... errrrrr, but it doesn't come with a MSVS solution :neutral: ....well, we shall see.
It does come with Visual Studio solution... it's all created via cmake. Build information is on github page. You can use the free VS 2019 Community to build Surge locally. For VST2 you do need to be a licensed owner of VST2 SDK, though.

I suppose I can provide Windows VST2 DLL on my GDrive.

Here we go - 64-bit VST2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SpuotH ... sp=sharing

Return to “Instruments”