Comfortable headphones for long use

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
roman.i
KVRist
260 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Any recommendations for a comfortable studio headphones?
Lightweight, open back, with ear shaped cups.

Michael L
KVRAF
3219 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:36 pm

I use Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (and previously ATH-AD700). No headband, only two small springy pads touch your head. Sculpted earpads, too. I use them in the studio and field recording. Can wear them all day.
They excel in high-end detail and soundstage, rather than strong bass.
Those two are discontinued, and the "x" replacements have a more bassy response, but AT has a full line of cans with this design.
MuLab goes with The Flow...

roman.i
KVRist
260 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:20 am

Michael L wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:36 pm
I use Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (and previously ATH-AD700). No headband, only two small springy pads touch your head. Sculpted earpads, too. I use them in the studio and field recording. Can wear them all day.
They excel in high-end detail and soundstage, rather than strong bass.
Those two are discontinued, and the "x" replacements have a more bassy response, but AT has a full line of cans with this design.
What do you mean sculpted pads? I see those are regular round ear pads, not different from what I have now on my Xone XD53.
I'm searching for a headphone a similar shape to my Bose quietcomfort, oval or D shaped, with enough depth to "slide" the ear inside.

msl
KVRist
116 posts since 29 Dec, 2003

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:31 am

I personally find the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro very comfortable (after a little settling in from new): https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-880-pro.html

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”