New to songwriting. Looking for honest feedback

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Cliffy1001
KVRer
4 posts since 19 Aug, 2020

Post Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:26 am

Hi folks

Ive played drums in bands for years and wrote the odd loop or guitar riff here and there but since lockdown, I've really got into writing, and more importantly, finishing tracks. I can't sing so I'm trying to find a vocalist but not having much success. I've had a little interest but when I send my stuff to them they seem to disappear :lol:

While I like what I'm doing, and seem to be improving or learning new things with every track I finish, it has made me wonder how do they really sound to people who aren't involved in it and is it really any good?

All feedback is welcome. The stuff I'm doing is synthwave-esque, even tho I knew next to nothing about synthwave when I started writing stuff

here's a link to my latest finished track and I've another couple on Soundcloud if you're interested. The one I'm posting does need vocals so I've left room for those when I find someone

https://soundcloud.com/ssaintss/skin-graft

Many thanks folks :)

DanielPersson
KVRist
65 posts since 27 Jan, 2016

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:59 am

This is really good!

Even if I think this track is really good, I also think it's missing something, like vocals perhaps, as you mentioned.
Or maybe just another element.

I do think the kick and bassline needs some mixing.
I sounds like the kick is lacking some bottom and are in need of some "punch", and the bassline-sub seems to be "all over the place".

But, all in all I would keep listening to this track without any "Impovements" :)

wagtunes
Suspended
19942 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 am

Yeah, it has some problem areas (kick really needs some love) but I liked it. It kept me interested all the way through. I don't think it really needs vocals. The synth motif is good enough. It just needs some punch in a few places. Mix just kinds of lays there. It isn't horrible. It's just not inspiring. Otherwise, no complaints here. I enjoyed it.

Cliffy1001
KVRer
4 posts since 19 Aug, 2020

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:55 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit I'm a bit lost when it comes to mixing. If I was to get vocals on it I think I'd give it to a producer friend of mine to mix and give it a more polished sound. I'm happy that it's got a positive response towards the composition elements tho. It makes me feel a bit more confident with what I'm doing

Cheers 😁

Return to “Music Cafe”