Your favorite Voxengo plugins

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Dombaeb
KVRist
309 posts since 7 Dec, 2018 from Saint-Petersburg

Post Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:35 pm

I, like everyone else, have been using SPAN for a long time, but only recently I discovered that Voxengo has plugins for almost all occasions. The plugins are stable, comfortable, and sound good (at least the ones I've tried). I like this effective simplicity, it's easy to work with, really.

I'm wondering if I should take the full bundle or some of the individual plugins would be enough for me. Therefore, I will ask: what Voxengo plugins do you like the most? And why?

Thank you for the answers, it will help me a lot.

TIMT
KVRian
777 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:04 am

Warmifier,Shinechilla,PHA-979 are all essentials for me.i use some of the discontinued 32bit stuff as well like the first version of Marquis comp,which i personally prefer over the "improved"one
I

El°HYM
KVRian
513 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 am

Been using the #free ones for years & just recently added a few new ones:

- CRTIV Reverb2
- CRTIV Shumovick
- CRTIV Tape Bus

Might look next into the VariSaturator, Powershaper & Warmifier.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Monkberry
KVRist
219 posts since 31 Dec, 2012

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 am

Span is an invaluable tool. I use Elephant on occasion but it has been replaced a while ago by DMG Limitless for master bus duty.

alibling
KVRist
224 posts since 21 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 am

EBus Lim, OVC 128 and Warmifier get used regular here. Elephant is on my "to buy" list.

crickey13
KVRist
57 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 am

Voxengo Warmifier. I use it all the time because of how subtle it is, more subtle than the desk setting on my SDRR. SDRR will distort subtly if you put it on something like a pad, whereas Warmifier is only going to change the characteristics of the sound without distorting it audibly. It's hard to describe, you have to demo it to see what I mean. Suffice to say, it's very, very subtle, but that's why it's so useful, as it works on a lot of stuff. I use it on my sends to dial in an extra dose of grunge without audibly distorting anything.

I really like Stereo Touch and probably gonna get Powershaper and VariSaturator at some point down the road. CRTIV Tape Bus is cool, but it sounds best on drums and sucks too much of the low end from entire mixes, haven't used it too extensively though.

DuX
KVRAF
3770 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:39 am

SPAN [free] is amongst the first plugins I install everywhere. It's just so great free or Pro version.
Elephant is still my go to limiter because I just love its DC filter, dithering, transparent and precise true peak limiting, plus all the metering modes. It's a perfect limiter. Especially since I use it just to make sure there are no overs. I could use it in clipping mode even, since my mixes alone are loud enough. Speaking of loud, Polysquasher works extremely great for mastering before Elephant. Very transparent and gentle compressor. Won't screw up your mix that easily. ;) Same as Elephant.
Additionally, CurveEQ is also in my mastering chain, but for mixing I usually go for HarmoniEQ. If you like transparent EQing, GlissEQ is great for that.

Other Aleksey's gems are IMHO: Warmifier, Boogex [free], and both channel strips: Drumformer and Voxformer. For track and bus compression I usually use Marquis Compressor, but Deft Compressor is no slouch, either, depending on the circumstance.

Great that someone started a thread about Voxengo plugins! ;) They deserve more exposure. I love them. Almost all plugins have great oversampling, 8 freely configurable channels [!], and I love that you can choose your own colours. I like the dark colour scheme, but adjust it to my DAW's colours. They give a nice finishing touch to my already nicely recorded analogue tracks. Great, and proven, stable plugins. No stupid gimmicks.

Honourable mention: OVC-128. Very interesting approach to a perfect digital clipper. Shame I don't need one, but who knows... same goes for EBusLim.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

chk071
KVRAF
25454 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 am

I only use SPAN, so... it's SPAN. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Dombaeb
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:44 am

Thank you so much, guys!

Looks like it really makes sense to get the whole bundle. All plugins that I demoed sound and feel great. I get about the same feeling from PSP but Voxengo works better for me because of the unified design, much less distraction :) My impression so far these plugins are stable tools.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
4357 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 am

SPAN, MSED, Stereo Touch, Overtone/Marcel GEQ, Oldskool Verb.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket || SoundCloud

dionenoid
KVRian
791 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 am

OVC128 and LF Max Punch get a lot of use here. Also own Powershaper and Shinechilla, not the best but sometimes useful. The free Tube Amp is pretty good too.
Demoed a bunch of other stuff but nothing that stood out for me, so decided against getting the whole bundle.
More BPM please

s28
KVRist
425 posts since 9 Aug, 2017

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:33 am

I don't own any but really like what I've demoed.

Deft compressor, Marquis, Prime EQ are all really nice. Wish Prime EQ had mid side but even without it is great. I might pick some up in the future.

Havok
KVRist
200 posts since 22 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:12 am

Love Polysquasher on the master

https://www.voxengo.com/product/psquasher/

crickey13
KVRist
57 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 am

Dombaeb wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:44 am
Thank you so much, guys!

Looks like it really makes sense to get the whole bundle. All plugins that I demoed sound and feel great. I get about the same feeling from PSP but Voxengo works better for me because of the unified design, much less distraction :) My impression so far these plugins are stable tools.
Before you pull the trigger on the Voxengo plugin pack, I suggest that you first check out a number of different offerings from other independent developers such as Klanghelm, TAL, TDR, Toneboosters, Melda and so on. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Voxengo software, it's great, but all plugins have their own focus and besides, buying different kinds of plugins from different developers often turns out to be the cheaper option. If money is not the issue and you like the sound, feature sets and the feel of Voxengo plugins, then go for it.

Dombaeb
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 am

crickey13 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 am
Before you pull the trigger on the Voxengo plugin pack, I suggest that you first check out a number of different offerings from other independent developers such as Klanghelm, TAL, TDR, Toneboosters, Melda and so on. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Voxengo software, it's great, but all plugins have their own focus and besides, buying different kinds of plugins from different developers often turns out to be the cheaper option. If money is not the issue and you like the sound, feature sets and the feel of Voxengo plugins, then go for it.
Sure, I already discovered Melda and I'm going to purchase the free pack as well. It is more on a creative side. Melda plugins very deep, I like to use them why I'm in the sound-design mood :shock:

Melda and Voxengo were always in front of my nose, but I realized their beauty only now. In fact, many plugins look like pretty toys in comparison with them (or maybe I'm on honeymoon now) :hihi:

Return to “Effects”