The Mad Scientist - The Mad Scientist FREE download

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Mozex
KVRian
608 posts since 18 Mar, 2019

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:20 am

You can download the song for free on:

https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistb ... -scientist

You can watch the video on:

https://youtu.be/0UBRzcAtArw

If you like the video and song it would always be nice if you subscribe on my channel. More videos will be added in the future!
-What is that? Music?
-No its a chicken noodle.

wagtunes
KVRAF
20017 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

My Brain: Stay out of this thread if you know what's good for you
Me: When has that ever stopped me?

Anyway, I tried commenting on the other thread but you removed the track. I'll get to the comments there shortly but first let's just get down to it.

I downloaded your track and loaded it into Cubase and threw SPAN on it.

Here's what it looks like.

Up until about 2:20 you were doing good, and then that one ARP came in and it was too loud. Between about 670 and 870 you've got some loudness problems there. Either crank the volume down about 6 DB or put a multiband compressor on that ARP. It is simply too loud in comparison to the other ARPS. Do this (try to keep the frequencies to -12db like everything else) and you should be okay.

As for the music itself, when everything is loud, nothing is loud. There are no dynamics. It's all the same volume so ultimately, the excitement you're going for, is simply no there. I found the piece very boring from that perspective.

Melody wise, well, there is none. It's just, as Layzer put it, one ARP after another. It's predictable.

Have I heard worse? Of course. Much worse. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 6.

I suggest you listen to songs of this genre (the good ones) and make a note of the dynamics and the arrangement tricks that they use to keep things interesting. While I am not a huge fan of the genre I will say that I have heard some stuff that I really enjoyed a lot.

Finally, as far as Layzer's comments, we have our differences, mostly regarding free versus paid plugins. But when it comes to his music production, the guy knows his stuff. He is one of the better mixers on the forum and he knows how to arrange a song.

A while back he criticized one of my tracks saying that all he heard was the tambourine. I listened to that old track recently and he's right. The mix is God awful. I've come a long way since then and he's one of the reasons why. He showed me what to look for in a spectral analysis readout and since then my mixes are greatly improved. Sure, not everybody loves my music. Not everybody loves Layzer's music either. But if you don't get the foundation right, the chances of people liking what you do decrease.

In short, if Layzer tells me my mix is good, or anything for that matter, I can pretty much feel confident that it is. He's a straight shooter when it comes to stuff like this, as many other people here are. Truth is, if you can't take criticism, maybe sharing your music with the public is not the best thing for you to be doing.

Like I said, I've heard much worse but you've got a long way to go.

I just hope I don't regret making this honest and, IMO, fair post.

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am

Thank you for the advice
-What is that? Music?

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am

The thing is Wagtunes, that first people here said that everything was on the same volume. So I actually cranked some instruments up resulting in you saying that everything is the same volume. Everything is loud.
So yeah, I do not know what I have to think about that...
It also seems to your span thing that that one arp is TOO loud in comparising with the other instruments, I do not understand how one can be louder then another if you first say its all on the same volume. Dont get me wrong, I am actually now lowering the overall volume on the track in the Ozone thingy to make the track less loud. I am also trying to make that arp less loud (if I have the right one ofcourse)
But do you understand what I am saying? First all of my instruments are on the same volume (which people do not even seem to understand takes a long time of mixing to get it like that, they are not all on the same volume level in my daw, I actually make them be on the same volume to get the interaction between all arps to its best. But I digress. So I tried something else, put a few instruments louder.
And now it seems that one of the instruments I put louder, which was advised many times by you and others here, because it, like you now again say, seemed that all instruments were on the same volume it results in your span meter going crazy.
Wel isnt that weird? Maybe making sure that all instruments are in the same volume range was not that bad idea after all?
But what do I know right? I am just the noob here...
-What is that? Music?

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am

So yeah Wagtunes, please be not offended but I am just gonna do things my way from now on. I am gonna redo the whole track again and do it my way. The track is available for free.
So if I do not ask money and do not want to become rich or famous, am I then allowed to do things my way?
I would think so. Thank you for your advice.
I knew your span meter would go crazy :) I knew the arp was too loud. I was just waiting for a fish to bite.
To bite and say: that one instrument is too loud. After that person who said it probably said in previous posts that it all sounded on the same volume level. You can not say that now, but still you do, but then you say that the arp is louder then the rest. Yes it is. :)
So yeah... Thank you very much Wagtunes, I am sure you want to be helpfull and others too but from now on I will do things my way. And if you do not like the result then thats your right ofcourse, but I also think its my right to make my music how I want to make it. How I want it to sound, and thats what I am gonna do from now on.

I will still ofcourse listen to advice, just not to advice I get on this website. I get advice on other forums in a respectfull manner and even if I do not follow it, they do not treat me with disrespect for it. They keep listening to my songs and commenting on it. Weird huh. Not even doing everything they say and they still listen and appreciate it for what it is. Its a whole new way of living Wagtunes, you should try it for once :)
-What is that? Music?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:12 am

I'm afraid I don't know how to explain it any better than I have without going into the kind of detail that would take me 2 hours to type up. And honestly, do you want to read 2 hours of typing? Somehow I think not.

Ultimately, it comes down to arrangement. I'd post an example of what I'm talking about and then walk you through the track minute by minute but then I don't want to be accused of spamming, so I won't.

Again, check out the pros. Listen to how a track will start with little going on and then other things will kick in and then as the track progresses, instruments will come and go. Volume levels will rise and fall. Maybe at some point the kick itself drops out and all you hear is an ARP. And then gradually a bass line will join in and then the kick will come back in.

Becoming an accomplished arranger of music is something that takes years and years to get good at. Right now, your track is essentially an assembly line. It's one ARP after another. Not much really separates them other than the one ARP is noticeably louder than the others. Being louder is one thing. Being louder to the point where the instrument sticks out like a sore thumb (like my tambourine) is another. In other words, there are degrees of louder. While that one ARP isn't louder to the point where it comes in and shatters my eardrums, it's still too loud. It can be louder without being too loud.

However, even if that one ARP wasn't a problem (let's pretend it isn't because it seems you want to fixate on it and it's by far the least of your problems) the rest of your track is just too static. It doesn't go anywhere. It's the same intensity from start to finish, which makes it boring. There is not enough variation. And making one ARP louder, even if it's just a little louder, is not going to change the problem you have with varying your arrangement over time. Changing from one ARP to another, in this case, is not enough.

And of course the lack of an actual top line melody doesn't help either. But I can overlook that because there are some genres that don't have top line melodies at all. In fact, they're very minimalist. But at least they have changes in dynamics, which helps keep them interesting.

I compare your track to somebody baking a cake and throwing 10 different kinds of frosting on it, hoping that nobody will notice that the cake itself doesn't really taste all that good.

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

But how come some people like the song then?
-What is that? Music?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am

Mozex wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am
So yeah Wagtunes, please be not offended but I am just gonna do things my way from now on. I am gonna redo the whole track again and do it my way. The track is available for free.
So if I do not ask money and do not want to become rich or famous, am I then allowed to do things my way?
I would think so. Thank you for your advice.
I knew your span meter would go crazy :) I knew the arp was too loud. I was just waiting for a fish to bite.
To bite and say: that one instrument is too loud. After that person who said it probably said in previous posts that it all sounded on the same volume level. You can not say that now, but still you do, but then you say that the arp is louder then the rest. Yes it is. :)
So yeah... Thank you very much Wagtunes, I am sure you want to be helpfull and others too but from now on I will do things my way. And if you do not like the result then thats your right ofcourse, but I also think its my right to make my music how I want to make it. How I want it to sound, and thats what I am gonna do from now on.

I will still ofcourse listen to advice, just not to advice I get on this website. I get advice on other forums in a respectfull manner and even if I do not follow it, they do not treat me with disrespect for it. They keep listening to my songs and commenting on it. Weird huh. Not even doing everything they say and they still listen and appreciate it for what it is. Its a whole new way of living Wagtunes, you should try it for once :)
Yeah, I knew I'd regret sticking my nose in here.

Before I go....

1. Yes, you have the right to do whatever you want with your music. We all do. So by all means.

2. When you post your music on a public forum, expect people to listen to it and criticize it if they feel it deserves to be criticized. If you have a problem with that, then maybe you shouldn't be posting your music here.

3. I have been nothing but respectful in this thread. All my comments have been of a technical nature regarding the track you posted. If you took anything I said as a personal attack on you, well, that's on you and there's nothing I can do about it.

Finally, I am done. I took a chance commenting on your track, given that so far nobody else in this thread has (and I know how frustrating that can be) but I can see that was a mistake. Maybe there's a reason why nobody else here has commented in this thread. You take everything as a personal attack. Well, I don't need the aggravation. Life sucks enough as it is with this damn pandemic.

So...I will not be returning. Hopefully, somebody in this forum will come to this thread and comment on your music the way YOU want them to comment on it.

Have a nice life.

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am

Yeah I am the bad one again. Its getting old Wagtunes.

I have never claimed to feel attacked. I treathed you with respect too. I just explained my side of things. If you are on a forum you can expect that you know?
If you just want people to nod their heads at what you write, maybe you should not be at a forum in the first place? Its what happens on a forum dear ol' Waggy.
Would it be even possible that my music is not your taste? No its just a 6 right? I do not think so :)
People here were actually courageous enough on that other post to say: I actually like it. Yes even people on THIS forum said they liked it.
I think they give a bit more then a 6? Maybe a 7, 7.5? I am happy with that. I do not intend to become famous so really my tracks do not need to be grade A+. Not in my opinion.
They only need to be like that in others opinion. But is that really my problem. I do not think so?
The reason why nobody commented is because this tread is only for an hour or so? Maybe you should give it some time :)
Another reason why people think twice of reacting is because of who I am. They know you all just will turn against them probably, or at least have that fear, so they do not comment at all.
But as I said, on the other topics there were two positive comments too, from people who actually liked the jet engine and baby crying sound of my track. Some are born parents, others not I guess.
Maybe its time you get your head out of your ass Wagtunes and come back on earth, with both feet, like we filthy peasants are on earth.
One person here said it make him think of a certain other artist I think but I forgot the name.
Weird thing: on another forum someone said exactly the same!
So thats weird huh? It seems some people like my tracks and other do not like them. Who would have known music works like that.
I should have known from the start, but I was to busy trying to kiss the assess of all of you so I would earn some respect for what I am doing. But no respect giving, only wining and bitching. Yeah stay out of my treat Wagtunes, you and your music mean nothing to me. Go on make some more catastrofical music and do not forget to sing on it. Do not forget to sing on it man, it makes the tracks complete.
I wish you a nice life too.
-What is that? Music?

Mozex
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 am

Do you know what I have learned on this freaking forum?

- Do not be proud of your work. If you dare to be proud we destroy you!

-Someone else always knows better then you so admit you are a noob and have to listen to us, the mighty kings of music making who got no where in life. Our resting place is a forum on internet were we can tell others they are noobs and they need to listen to us because we are the mighty kings of music making (who got no where in the bussiness)

-You are a noob, we are the masters.

-Listen to us or be prepared to die.

-Do not make music like you want to make it, if we do not like it it means its shit. Just listen to us.

-Do not have a own identity, do not try to insult us. We are here to insult you, you are not here to insult us.

And more of those things. I am tired sickly of that shit. If you do not like my music, thats cool, no problem for me. Just go to other topic and do your thing there.
-What is that? Music?

Hink
Rad Grandad
32335 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 am

my inclination is to lock this at this point, mozex you removed the song, you kinda say you dont want advice so the post serves no purpose in my eyes and likely will only become an attractive nuisance.

Return to “Music Cafe”