Two Songs Without Words

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/t ... hout-words

Fairly straightforward music for the sound of a piano (actually Modartt's Pianoteq 5), composed with no regard for real piano technique. See the SC notes for more detail, but in truth these pieces are not especially difficult to hear.

I hope you enjoy these songs. Comments are welcome, of course.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips

Really like the first one. Cool jazzy chords and nice little licks.
The second one has some nice harmonic changes.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Nice compositions!
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

no words needed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The first one is more familiar harmonic territory to me and more sensual so I prefer that. The beginning is kind of latter-day Scriabin.
I must say though that most things such as in #2 or the other piano thing are kind of alien, or can't be easily related to many things if at all. So that's doing something, there is no predicting the next change, a steady stream of "WHAT?" Very different.

very nice, an almost lazy jazz feel to them, for me :)

My only complaint is during the first song the higher register is a touch too dry and sounds like it isn't coming from the same piano.
I enjoyed both pieces, very well done.

This was a very pleasant late-night listen. I though both parts managed to incorporate unexpected melodic and harmonic changes, whilst remaining relaxed and pleasing to the ear. I could imagine this being played in the piano-bar of an upmarket hotel in any European capital city east of Prague in the latter part of the 20th century.

Good work :)

My thanks & appreciation to all respondents. Some remarks/replies :

@jancivil -
The first one is more familiar harmonic territory to me and more sensual so I prefer that. The beginning is kind of latter-day Scriabin.
I can live with that. :) Funny thing, I was pretty sure no-one would care much for the first piece. I like it too, but sometimes I hear it lean a bit too close to the banal.
I must say though that most things such as in #2 or the other piano thing are kind of alien, or can't be easily related to many things if at all. So that's doing something, there is no predicting the next change, a steady stream of "WHAT?" Very different.
The harmony of the first piece retains a sense of directed root movement. That's less so for the second song and the Dialogs, which are essentially linear, i.e. the harmonic movement is often the result of the melodic direction, with "melody" understood rather broadly there. The Dialogs follow a harmonic plan, but root movement is not a close consideration.

@seismic1 -
I could imagine this being played in the piano-bar of an upmarket hotel in any European capital city east of Prague in the latter part of the 20th century.
You and Jan have me pegged. I'm a sucker for Schoenberg's early atonal things, especially Erwartung and the Six Little Pieces For Piano. I also admire Stefan Wolpe's piano works, I sequenced a batch of his work "back in the day". Ditto Scriabin.

Again, my thanks to everyone who listened. Time is too short, I am grateful that you all took some to check out my music. Gratias multas ago vobis.

Best regards,

dp

Return to “Music Cafe”