Imported kick drums in Drumcomputer still sound thin

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, ten days since I opened the support ticket and I haven't seen the slightest sign of an response. No reaction here, no E-Mail, nothing on my account at sugar-bytes.de

They obviously don't care. Leaves a taste of: product sold, job done :clap:
I don't care anymore either. This was the first product I bought from them, and this will be my last.

Job done, SugarBytes :clap:

Think they just fixed it.....

v1.2.1 sample playback improved

40watt wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:41 pm Think they just fixed it.....

Thanks for the hint, haven't heard about an update yet.
A quick test let's me think there's improvement indeed.

It seems they don't talk too much lol, but they are listening. And that's the more important part.
So, thank you SugarBytes for working on this! :hug:

Merry Christmas to all of you :party:

Suger Bytes makes amazing, original musical software, but have the worst update system of any developer!

They don't tell you when things are updated, they don't have a date next to the updates so you don't know when things were updated...I cant even find any release notes so you know what the update is?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

scroll down to the bottom .....there is a changelog
https://sugar-bytes.de/drumcomputer

Arovane wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:19 pm scroll down to the bottom .....there is a changelog
https://sugar-bytes.de/drumcomputer
Thanks- I was looking the 'my downloads' part of my account.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeh I stumbled upon it last night by complete accident, and if you're after a detailed explanation of whats happened in the change log, then look no further than my previous post, thats it....!

40watt wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:41 pm Think they just fixed it.....

Thanks for the update on the update! And thanks to Sugar Bytes!

Yeh, they certainly don’t bang a drum about their new updates :wink:

Happy Xmas Sugar Bytes!

Would be great if someone from SugarBytes would also participate in these threads since it's a fairly new product.. that's what i like about plugin-alliance.com they got a very close community where you get response from the ceo himself...
btw: it would be nice to have the option to import a sample as it is. plain with no tweaking. so it sounds exactly the same. then start using the tools within drumcomp.
Currently i use it mainly as top layer generator with some automation which is greatly solved in drumcomp.

Um...
1.2.4 here
Found this thread cuz Im lost.
Nothing I do will make a sample just play normal.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:19 am Um...
1.2.4 here
Found this thread cuz Im lost.
Nothing I do will make a sample just play normal.
Attached is the preset I use when I want start from scratch by pulling in external samples to create a kit. It incorporates the tips I mention earlier in the thread, with the exception that it uses the "natural" instead of the "hold" envelope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you!
I will check it out!
ImageImageImageImage

bboxdw wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:13 pm
The above experiments suggest that DrumComputer's sample module may be truncating the very beginning of some or all samples.
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I've come to the same conclusion and this is still an issue in v1.2.5.

I've created a simple punchy kick in Kick2, rendered it (inside Kick2) and loaded into Drumcomputer sampler, zeroed all the knobs, effects, enabled Hold etc, then rendered with DC and examined the .wav file in Audacity.

DC appears to trim the first 30-40 samples (around 0.7ms @ 48khz) from the imported sample. Because the attack is very much defined in those first few samples, this makes the samples that have a fast attack sound muted/compressed.

Anyways, adding 1ms of silence at the start of the sample with an editor like Audacity seems to make the problem go away and the imported samples sound good.

I found this technique tedious so what I do is just mute the kick in Drumcomputer and map the MIDI out to Kick2.

Would be nice if I didn't have to jump through the hoops and do all this within Drumcomputer.

This made me think, maybe I was struggling to create satisfying kicks in DC because this trimming happens somewhere in the DSP pipeline where it doesn't affect just the Sampler but Resonator/Wavetable as well?

Terlisimo wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:34 am DC appears to trim the first 30-40 samples (around 0.7ms @ 48khz) from the imported sample...
what I do is just mute the kick in Drumcomputer and map the MIDI out to Kick2...
This made me think, maybe I was struggling to create satisfying kicks in DC because this trimming happens somewhere in the DSP pipeline where it doesn't affect just the Sampler but Resonator/Wavetable as well?
Although it currently works well enough for my needs, and in cases where I need something different I also just use MIDI out, an option allowing the user to completely turn off any sort of trimming seems like a reasonable feature request. There's probably a good reason for any such processing that is still done even after recent updates, but it never hurts to ask.

Edit: Also, if your music requires a super-sharp transient "pop" at the beginning of your kick drum, you might enjoy this interview with BT, where he suggests starting kick samples at a non-zero-crossing point, or "off axis": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgihNyyckq8 .

Return to “Sugar Bytes”