Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@Bones: Good that you could find the problem! It is really hard to hunt audio related problems!

Windows updates is the major problems for everything unstable! I wish there is one point when I don't update anything! It might be a good idea to have two machines. One that offline mostly and another one connected to the net (and updated all the time).

You can hardly resale a Studio One license, these days. I tried selling 6 Pro for $100 and no bites.

I randomly posted "WTS Ableton Live Suite - $350" on Reddit, and the license was sold and transferred within 10 minutes - literally.

There seem to be a lot of people, just on KVR, with Studio One 5/6 Licenses who are trying to offload them, and the demand is definitely not meeting the supply. I ended up just deleting the PreSonus account in my culling (along with others like IK Multimedia, etc.), as I've gotten to a point where I am not longer really into entertaining alternatives - at least not for DAWs.

IMO, PreSonus probably should do a bit more to engage these types of users and see why they are not sticking with their product. Personally, I got the upgrade simply to review it and see if the exaggerations about its goodness on this and other forums was warranted. Also, I figured I could gift it to my brother anyway, but he doesn't want it, Lol. It's likely a great choice for him: avoiding adding an unnecessary secondary DAW.

For me, the Stability was huge. Studio One crashes more than any other DAW I've used. Beyond that, the way the UI works is not my cup of tea. The Tabbed Plug-in Editor that makes you pin things to have more than one open. The browser is ass.
The way features are cordoned off between different modules that even have their own project types (Samplitude Pro X figured out how to execute this without these "limitations" over a decade ago) is frustrating, especially form a UX standpoint (because floating 4+ different plug-ins is simply not comparable to a docked visualizer module, etc.). The lack of External Audio Editor Support - if Studio One has DP's Wave Editor, this would not be a problem.

Beyond that, I already had Cubase, which is far better at some of the things that Studio One markets over competitors (Theory Tools, for example) and has better hardware support.

While the UI is [generally] good, I grew a bit too frustrated with the general UX and how everything was slapped together. Not my cup of tea.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

soulata wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:01 am
benmcc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 pm Waste of money buying a new interface when you could just tweak this. Unless you really want to buy an RME of course. Their drivers are supposed to be excellent and give very low latency.

studio one options.jpg
I tweaked this, 12ms sounds about right but -
honestly - midi recording should work perfectly from the start. How can I be ever really sure it's not messing with my timing?

I'm a pro, I want things where I played them. Not almost there.
Almost there is the best you will ever get. There is no such thing at 0 latency MIDI Recording. You can get down to imperceptible levels of latency, but you cannot eliminate it.

Physics always wins.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

You can add MIDI and audio offset in Studio One for perfect record timing, every time.

Gregor shows you how:
https://youtu.be/lOI1Thjc1Ts
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I think Studio One is fantastic. As good as they come what 'conventional' linear DAWs is concerned. Even then I'm finding it hard to justify not using Logic. Maybe when Logic 11 comes out I will finally be able to let v10 wilt away in my digital graveyard.

Unless someone buys Studio One 6 Pro off me in the meanwhile while I can still be persuaded.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Trensharo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:13 am You can hardly resale a Studio One license, these days. I tried selling 6 Pro for $100 and no bites.

I randomly posted "WTS Ableton Live Suite - $350" on Reddit, and the license was sold and transferred within 10 minutes - literally.

There seem to be a lot of people, just on KVR, with Studio One 5/6 Licenses who are trying to offload them, and the demand is definitely not meeting the supply. I ended up just deleting the PreSonus account in my culling (along with others like IK Multimedia, etc.), as I've gotten to a point where I am not longer really into entertaining alternatives - at least not for DAWs.

IMO, PreSonus probably should do a bit more to engage these types of users and see why they are not sticking with their product. Personally, I got the upgrade simply to review it and see if the exaggerations about its goodness on this and other forums was warranted. Also, I figured I could gift it to my brother anyway, but he doesn't want it, Lol. It's likely a great choice for him: avoiding adding an unnecessary secondary DAW.

For me, the Stability was huge. Studio One crashes more than any other DAW I've used. Beyond that, the way the UI works is not my cup of tea. The Tabbed Plug-in Editor that makes you pin things to have more than one open. The browser is ass.
The way features are cordoned off between different modules that even have their own project types (Samplitude Pro X figured out how to execute this without these "limitations" over a decade ago) is frustrating, especially form a UX standpoint (because floating 4+ different plug-ins is simply not comparable to a docked visualizer module, etc.). The lack of External Audio Editor Support - if Studio One has DP's Wave Editor, this would not be a problem.

Beyond that, I already had Cubase, which is far better at some of the things that Studio One markets over competitors (Theory Tools, for example) and has better hardware support.

While the UI is [generally] good, I grew a bit too frustrated with the general UX and how everything was slapped together. Not my cup of tea.
You could not get $100 for the full version of Studio One even though that is cheaper than the version 6 upgrade price? And you ended up not selling it and deleted your Presonus account? Too late now, but you could have made someone happy and offered it for free. Anyway, shame to see you go because your posts were always an interesting read.

CPU Spikes, Crashes. This was around when 5 was released and also was a problem with V4. Mac and AU. Also the GUI started to become tiring for my eyes with lots of additions but not refined.
V6 looks much better in that regard with the help of customization. Still same bad choice of color palette though.
Tried Cubase and Logic (which I used prior to Studio One) and both had none of the problems, so mostly stayed on Logic since then. Currently in my experience Cubase is the most stable on my system. Logic has been problematic since 10.7 but 10.7.5 is mostly OK.
Maybe Studio One is better now and also I read that it is better to use VST with it instead of AU.

I haven't Left Studio one but be aware of this problem ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqNs_9 ... MonosBeats

andypryce wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 am CPU Spikes, Crashes. This was around when 5 was released and also was a problem with V4. Mac and AU. Also the GUI started to become tiring for my eyes with lots of additions but not refined.
V6 looks much better in that regard with the help of customization. Still same bad choice of color palette though.
Tried Cubase and Logic (which I used prior to Studio One) and both had none of the problems, so mostly stayed on Logic since then. Currently in my experience Cubase is the most stable on my system. Logic has been problematic since 10.7 but 10.7.5 is mostly OK.
Maybe Studio One is better now and also I read that it is better to use VST with it instead of AU.
That has been my experience, as well (Windows OS). I didn't experience any crashes - not even one - for the entire Lifecycle of Cubase Pro 11, and I haven't experienced any in Pro 12 [yet]. I may have gotten a few in 10.5, but that's getting "long ago" enough that it's hard to remember (plus I tested and trialed a lot of DAWs back then).

Cubase has also been the most flawless when it comes to dealing with plug-ins and ASIO drivers. I actually stopped using Cubase as a control when troubleshooting other software because it has a tendency to tolerate plug-ins and ASIO drivers that are problematic in other software (a sort of placebo effect). It all seems to work fine in Cubase, which can mask issues and make it seem like the other DAWs are the issue when the problem is actually the plug-in or ASIO driver.

But why expose myself to those potential issues if Cubase is going to "just work" with almost anything I throw at it?

EnGee wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:12 amWindows updates is the major problems for everything unstable! I wish there is one point when I don't update anything!
I have problems so rarely that I ahv epretty much forgotten how to even look for them. 20 years ago I was a gun at fixing all sorts of things but I have gotten so used to everything just working that I'm useless when it doesn't.
It might be a good idea to have two machines. One that offline mostly and another one connected to the net (and updated all the time).
Way too much hassle.
Trensharo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:13 amYou can hardly resale a Studio One license, these days. I tried selling 6 Pro for $100 and no bites.
I'd suggest that's likely because the kind of buyer Presonus target probably buy their software from an actual music shop, not on line.
IMO, PreSonus probably should do a bit more to engage these types of users and see why they are not sticking with their product.
What makes you think Presonus cares? Maybe they don't want those users and are happy to see them go?
For me, the Stability was huge. Studio One crashes more than any other DAW I've used.
For me that would be Cubase, by a long way, but still not enough to stop me using it. Also way, way less than Adobe applications crash and I use those to earn a living every day.
The browser is ass.
How so? It seems the same as every other browser to me. It certainly does the job very well.
The way features are cordoned off between different modules that even have their own project types (Samplitude Pro X figured out how to execute this without these "limitations" over a decade ago) is frustrating, especially form a UX standpoint (because floating 4+ different plug-ins is simply not comparable to a docked visualizer module, etc.).
I have no idea what you're talking about.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I always buy software direct from the developer.

D-Fusion wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 am I haven't Left Studio one but be aware of this problem ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqNs_9 ... MonosBeats

Watching this guy make music is like watching a monkey on a typewriter.

Too painful. I gave up after three minutes, when he tried to add a second part.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I skipped through a lot but still had to endure way too much just to get to the punchline at the end: Doing stupid stuff in Studio One makes Studio One act stupid.

It was really so boring start! Why didn't he just say what's the problem and then give an example?!
Anyway, Presonus should fix their shit. It's too much unstability! It doesn't give confidence to encounter a bug after a bug after a bug!!

I like Ableton Live with their betas. So many users there, and final version gets released after many betas and anyone who has Live afak can sign with them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”