Pulsecraft - The Chro 8080

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
31661 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Is this modelled on a real JP-8K, or just loosely "based on"?

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
7729 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:13 pm

sneiter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:06 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:49 pm sounds very interesting but im not buying the full version of Reaktor to be able to use it :clown:
I am thinking about making this available in Reaktor Player in the future. But it's too far ahead for now.
That would be great! Is it hard to do that though?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm Is this modelled on a real JP-8K, or just loosely "based on"?
It's modelled after my both my JP-8080 and JP-8000. compared it carefully. There are slight differences but are very hard to find. You can also control your hardware with the plugin or use the hardware as a controller. I've expanded it to fit in my workflow next to the Virus TI2.

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:13 pm
sneiter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:06 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:49 pm sounds very interesting but im not buying the full version of Reaktor to be able to use it :clown:
I am thinking about making this available in Reaktor Player in the future. But it's too far ahead for now.
That would be great! Is it hard to do that though?
Yes this is not an easy task. I can't go too much into detail on this because of regulations.

chk071
KVRAF
31661 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:31 pm

sneiter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm Is this modelled on a real JP-8K, or just loosely "based on"?
It's modelled after my both my JP-8080 and JP-8000. compared it carefully. There are slight differences but are very hard to find. You can also control your hardware with the plugin or use the hardware as a controller. I've expanded it to fit in my workflow next to the Virus TI2.
Awesome. :tu:

Just been watching some JP-8K videos a few days ago, and, I was really amazed how good that thing still sounds today. Apart from the Virus and Waldorf Q, still my absolute favorite in hardware VA's. Just super sounding.

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:36 pm

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:31 pm
sneiter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:09 pm Is this modelled on a real JP-8K, or just loosely "based on"?
It's modelled after my both my JP-8080 and JP-8000. compared it carefully. There are slight differences but are very hard to find. You can also control your hardware with the plugin or use the hardware as a controller. I've expanded it to fit in my workflow next to the Virus TI2.
Awesome. :tu:

Just been watching some JP-8K videos a few days ago, and, I was really amazed how good that thing still sounds today. Apart from the Virus, still my absolute favorite in hardware VA's. Just super sounding.
A lot of hitsongs have this sound since the 90's but still goes on today!

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
1197 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:46 pm

I like it :)

Good luck with further development :tu:
More BPM please

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
7729 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm

is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
1197 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
The JP-8080 combined the analog modeling sound engine of the JP-8000 with additional features such as an internal vocoder. The JP-8080 also had three times the number of patches and performances, an additional Noise waveform on Osc 2 and a distortion effect.
More BPM please

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
7729 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm

dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
The JP-8080 combined the analog modeling sound engine of the JP-8000 with additional features such as an internal vocoder. The JP-8080 also had three times the number of patches and performances, an additional Noise waveform on Osc 2 and a distortion effect.
Ok, not much of a difference but still. A vocoder is still pretty cool though :) Thanks
EnergyXT3 - LMMS | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:46 pm I like it :)

Good luck with further development :tu:
Thanks Erik!

:hihi:

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm
dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
The JP-8080 combined the analog modeling sound engine of the JP-8000 with additional features such as an internal vocoder. The JP-8080 also had three times the number of patches and performances, an additional Noise waveform on Osc 2 and a distortion effect.
Ok, not much of a difference but still. A vocoder is still pretty cool though :) Thanks
JP-8080 has 10 voices JP-8000 has 8
JP-8080 has a UNISON switch, but it is set to max unison voices and you cannot change that. However you can change the detune in the jp-8080 menu settings.
Additional Distortion FX.

The rack version is more powerful, but the keyboard version is a lot more hands on.

sneiter
KVRer
27 posts since 14 May, 2011

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm
dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
The JP-8080 combined the analog modeling sound engine of the JP-8000 with additional features such as an internal vocoder. The JP-8080 also had three times the number of patches and performances, an additional Noise waveform on Osc 2 and a distortion effect.
Ok, not much of a difference but still. A vocoder is still pretty cool though :) Thanks
The 8080 vocoder isn't really groundbreaking. It does what it does but hard to get something useful.

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
7729 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:18 pm

sneiter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:14 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 pm
dionenoid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm is there a big difference between JP8000 and JP8080? Isnt ir exactly the same? JP8000 being a keyboard while the JP8080 being a desktop version of JP8000?
The JP-8080 combined the analog modeling sound engine of the JP-8000 with additional features such as an internal vocoder. The JP-8080 also had three times the number of patches and performances, an additional Noise waveform on Osc 2 and a distortion effect.
Ok, not much of a difference but still. A vocoder is still pretty cool though :) Thanks
The 8080 vocoder isn't really groundbreaking. It does what it does but hard to get something useful.
I see. Still pretty cool tough. Not many synth have a vocoder.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
LeVzi
KVRAF
Topic Starter
4572 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 pm

What I like about this, and i'm not a synth expert when it comes to sound creation nor am I clued up too much on the old synths from the past, but to make really thick lush sounds that probably wouldnt even need layering in a track, is relatively easy. I'm still getting to grips with the controls, and tbh just messing about with various controls is always a good laugh. The many presets are good to study to see what does what.
Stop looking back, you aren't going that way

Return to “Instruments”