New Linux builds, revision 10721

RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you're looking for an Intel based SBC to build an integrated VST player, then you're in luck, because there's lots of stuff. Look up 'SBC for IoT.' Here's a couple interesting ones. There's even an x86 Pi-like (form factor) device, the Rock Pi X.

Rock Pi X
PICO317
Atomic Pi
SBC-B68-eNUC

Would there be any problems using this latest build of Zebra 2 and then using the older build of Zebra HZ until the latest revision comes out? I am thinking about picking up Dark Zebra while it's one sale.

And on the subject of a SBC as a live VST player I've been curious myself. At least for FilterscapeVA and Zebra since they've been around for a while. They actually make x86 emulators for Pi's though I don't think there would be enough power. Curious about what the real minimum specs for something like Zebra 2 are.

Catharsis Cat wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:49 pm Would there be any problems using this latest build of Zebra 2 and then using the older build of Zebra HZ until the latest revision comes out? I am thinking about picking up Dark Zebra while it's one sale.
No problems as long as you load Zebra's presets in Zebra, and the ZebraHZ presets in ZebraHZ.

If you try to load the Zebra2 presets in the older version of ZebraHZ, you will get a warning that the plugin is too old.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Greetings!

I'm running Zebra2, Podolski, Presswork, and hopefully Diva, in Reaper on 64 bit Ubuntu 20.04. I use an older Intel machine, new enough to have the AVX instructions, but.. kinda old.

I updated Zebra2 and Presswerk, and decided to take the plunge and purchase Diva. I have the serial number, but I can't enter it into Diva :dog:

I can't type it in, and when I try to paste it in, I get an error saying there is nothing in the clipboard. I can pull up LibreOffice Writer and paste it there, but not into Diva. Diva doesn't show any indication of the text area being active, no matter how much I click it.

I can click the "purchase a license" area/button, and it will open the web page....

I wonder if this is related to an outstanding issue I have where clicking in a text box in Zebra, like the "voice mode" will crash Reaper. I have Bitwig 3.0.2 that I keep around for testing, and Zebra crashes there, as well.

Is there any other way to register Diva?

Thank you so much for supporting Linux!

That's an odd problem. I would try installing an earlier version of Diva to register it then upgrade to the newest version. Might work.

SmoothMountain wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:39 am I can't type it in, and when I try to paste it in, I get an error saying there is nothing in the clipboard. I can pull up LibreOffice Writer and paste it there, but not into Diva. Diva doesn't show any indication of the text area being active, no matter how much I click it.
The direct pasting doesn't work in some hosts. But you can always right-click into the text entry field, then you get a context menu with an option to paste in whatever is currently in the clipboard.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

SmoothMountain wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:39 am I can't type it in, and when I try to paste it in, I get an error saying there is nothing in the clipboard.
If it pastes happily into LibreOffice, it may be some form of "rich text" - embedded formatting, HTML, that sort of thing.

Try opening gedit or xed, paste into an empty document there, then select+copy the text again - that might be enough to fix it?

The file you need is:

~/.u-he/Diva/Support/com.u-he.Diva.user.txt

It contains two lines. The user name that you registered when you bought it is the first. The second is the serial code.

I tried right-clicking, it didn't work (I didn't think it would...).

There is an issue with my machine and u-he text fields. I don't think it's a rich text thing, I copied it from the registration email. I'll try the direct file...

I'll be building an AMD powered rocket soon, hopefully that will address my issues.

Thanks everyone!

Well... I tried the direct file, that doesn't work, either. It looks like it should, I see something similar in my other registered u-he plugin folders. I copied and pasted my name and serial number from the registration email I received from u-he.

Still grateful u-he supports Linux...

Success!

I had a typo in the name of the file.... I corrected it and - life is grand :D

Even MORE grateful that u-he supports Linux

So, I was browsing the KVR site a bit... I looked at the u-he page here: https://www.kvraudio.com/developer/u-he
And every single plugin has a "reader's choice award". And all of the sound libraries, too! Dang! I love the u-he plugins I have: Zebra2, Presswerk, Triple Cheese, Podolski and TyrellN6. I guess everyone else loves 'em, too.

Top-quality plugins from a great company that run natively in Linux.
OK, I'll stop gushing now.

lunardigs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:31 pm If you're looking for an Intel based SBC to build an integrated VST player, then you're in luck, because there's lots of stuff. Look up 'SBC for IoT.' Here's a couple interesting ones. There's even an x86 Pi-like (form factor) device, the Rock Pi X.

Rock Pi X
PICO317
Atomic Pi
SBC-B68-eNUC
I just bought a Rock Pi X and am going to give this a shot to see if I can run Diva in a small footprint.

I have been wanting to get Diva to run in a HW module on my MIDI controller as I really enjoy powering with just an iPad Pro.

Since the Rock Pi X is x86 based, it may work in theory. I’ll run headless with Reaper, and VNC in from an iPad for Diva controls.

If the proof of concept holds, I’ll try to integrate a better DAC like hifiberry.

We’ll see how it goes...

stevehollx wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 am
lunardigs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:31 pm If you're looking for an Intel based SBC to build an integrated VST player, then you're in luck, because there's lots of stuff. Look up 'SBC for IoT.' Here's a couple interesting ones. There's even an x86 Pi-like (form factor) device, the Rock Pi X.

Rock Pi X
PICO317
Atomic Pi
SBC-B68-eNUC
I just bought a Rock Pi X and am going to give this a shot to see if I can run Diva in a small footprint.

I have been wanting to get Diva to run in a HW module on my MIDI controller as I really enjoy powering with just an iPad Pro.

Since the Rock Pi X is x86 based, it may work in theory. I’ll run headless with Reaper, and VNC in from an iPad for Diva controls.

If the proof of concept holds, I’ll try to integrate a better DAC like hifiberry.

We’ll see how it goes...
Sweet!
I'm eager to hear what happens.

A few suggestions: You might try Carla ( https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla ) as your VST host. It's much lighter than Reaper and should likely do everything you want.
Also, for your VNC server, I'd suggest X11vnc, which has some special features for headless use cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11vnc
Both of these are mature and within the major repositories.

Progress! Running Diva on a Rock Pi X with Ubuntu and Carla. Pressing a softkey on Diva shows sound output, DSP load idling at 20-30% though. After hitting some keys it spikes to 100%. No audio out the board working yet, so not sure if there is clipping or if DSP load can be tuned.

TODO:
[*] Don't have sound coming out of the audio jack yet, but can visually see it is hitting the audio out in the OS.
[*] Haven't tried USB MIDI into it yet.
[*] Need to spend some time with VNC setup.
[*] Need to work on getting Carla/Diva to auto-launch on OS boot.

Return to “u-he Linux support”