Horizons (Cinematic Sci-Fi Electronic Orchestral Music)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:28 am

Just a little thing I did, hybrid electronic orchestral style like I usually do. Hope you like it :)

https://soundcloud.com/secret_soundworks/horizons

KVRian
1192 posts since 28 May, 2007

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm

I like the soundscape.
I am not a big fan of electronic orchestral sounds,
but these work very well.
What are you using ?

(( D ))

KVRist

Topic Starter

83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 am

drumity wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 pm
I like the soundscape.
I am not a big fan of electronic orchestral sounds,
but these work very well.
What are you using ?

(( D ))
Thank you, glad you like it!

For synths it's almost all DUNE 3 (only one sound toward the end is from RAPID, but its not upfront in the mix). For both synths it's my custom patches I made.

User avatar
KVRAF
5584 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 am

It builds nicely with an appealing mix of sounds. Nice work. :tu:

KVRist

Topic Starter

83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am

Frantz wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 am
It builds nicely with an appealing mix of sounds. Nice work. :tu:
Thank you! :)


User avatar
KVRian
722 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Listened 3 times now (even played along)...also listened to some of your other tracks on SC...

I enjoyed them all and think you have seriously great potential. There are lots of good moments in there melodically and they are generally quite well constructed in terms of overall development and combinations of timbres etc...

But, for me they still lack a certain something if they are going to really shine 100%...

1) More nuanced use of the textural elements...more subtle 'rise and fall', particularly at the end of phrases.

2) More fine tuning of the melodies - just subtle tweaks here and there to make them even more well shaped and memorable.

3) There are occasional mismatches between melodic parts, rippling synth arps and accompanying chords. In the harmonic context of the pieces you have created there are 'moments' that could simply work significantly better in this area.

4) A little bit more variation in terms of the underlying harmonic rhythm (again at the ends of musical sentences / phrases)...so many chords just held for the same amount of beats throughout a section is potentially a little ponderous after a while.

5) More focus on the overall 'groove' of the music...yes, you have the drum loops to drive it forward, but are all the other parts working rhythmically as well as they could together?

I think that maybe there is an element now with all these similar hybrid / cinematic pieces of working well within you comfort zone (we all do it) and you might benefit from adding a new element to the formula?

That was a lot of feedback...NOT trying to tear this stuff apart at all...did enjoy the pieces, including this one, but just think that they could be so much more effective considering the clear ability that you possess...just needs a bit more attention to detail for me.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRist

Topic Starter

83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:39 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Listened 3 times now (even played along)...also listened to some of your other tracks on SC...

I enjoyed them all and think you have seriously great potential. There are lots of good moments in there melodically and they are generally quite well constructed in terms of overall development and combinations of timbres etc...

But, for me they still lack a certain something if they are going to really shine 100%...

1) More nuanced use of the textural elements...more subtle 'rise and fall', particularly at the end of phrases.

2) More fine tuning of the melodies - just subtle tweaks here and there to make them even more well shaped and memorable.

3) There are occasional mismatches between melodic parts, rippling synth arps and accompanying chords. In the harmonic context of the pieces you have created there are 'moments' that could simply work significantly better in this area.

4) A little bit more variation in terms of the underlying harmonic rhythm (again at the ends of musical sentences / phrases)...so many chords just held for the same amount of beats throughout a section is potentially a little ponderous after a while.

5) More focus on the overall 'groove' of the music...yes, you have the drum loops to drive it forward, but are all the other parts working rhythmically as well as they could together?

I think that maybe there is an element now with all these similar hybrid / cinematic pieces of working well within you comfort zone (we all do it) and you might benefit from adding a new element to the formula?

That was a lot of feedback...NOT trying to tear this stuff apart at all...did enjoy the pieces, including this one, but just think that they could be so much more effective considering the clear ability that you possess...just needs a bit more attention to detail for me.
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
I agree on all points, I definitely think I could improve, especially in structure, voicing and variation. My biggest problem a lot of the times is that I keep changing the structure too much where it feels like it's several tracks in one and not enough cohesion. I think it's better in my last piece Horizons where it feels more cohesive, but I generally struggle to reach that balance where I introduce new ideas, but also can connect back and evolve the initial themes (so something like an ABA structure)

I do tend to get stuck in the comfort zone, use a lot of my patches over, try the same or very similar ideas (starting a track with the same element, etc. ) which can lead to the tracks sounding very similar.

Percussion and rhythmic variation is also something I need to work at, and to get that balance of just enough variation to keep it interesting throughout.

I'm glad you enjoyed the tracks and thanks again for taking the time to give your feedback, I will take all of it into consideration for sure, it's very helpful!

KVRist

Topic Starter

83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:46 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:07 am
Cool. Enjoyed listening.
Thanks!!

User avatar
addled muppet weed
74956 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm

nice driving rhythms, epic brass!
definite quest ahead!

for spaaaaarta!!!!

User avatar
addled muppet weed
74956 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm

nice work :tu:

KVRist

Topic Starter

83 posts since 13 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 am

vurt wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm
nice work :tu:
Thanks!

Return to “Music Cafe”