VST3 to VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bump

AnX wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm
polac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:30 pm
polac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 am I released a vst3 to vst2 wrapper some years ago for Jeskola Buzz, here is a download link for the wrapper, works also with other vst2 hosts:

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell.zip
Not really sure how to use that, are there any instructions on how to use.
Just copy the files to your vst2 folder.
all of them? there are quite a few, with the same names?
There are 3 files each, depending on whether you are using a 32 or 64 bit host. I put the 3 x64 files in a sub-folder in my vst2 location and works very well so far. It appears to directly access the vst3 folder and will load either vst3 effects or instruments seamlessly.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

ok, thanks for that, I will give it a try later (have to install a few vst3 synths first)

does the shell show up in the instruments list, you load that then the synth via the shell?

AnX wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 am ok, thanks for that, I will give it a try later (have to install a few vst3 synths first)

does the shell show up in the instruments list, you load that then the synth via the shell?
I just tried it in Bidule. In the vst2 list there appears 'vst3shell' under which all your vst3 fx or instruments are listed and can be loaded directly from there.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

:tu:

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:20 pm
DarkStar wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:58 pm There are more and more developers no longer supporting VST2
I am curious - which ones?
AudioThing, Mellowmuse to name a few. I know there are more but cant remember.
Is this really the case? What does this mean in practice - new products, upgrade etc. ? I don’t believe that Audiothing abandons all the existing vst2 customers. I own 10 Audiothing plugins, all are running as vst2?

Harry_HH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:20 pm
DarkStar wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:58 pm There are more and more developers no longer supporting VST2
I am curious - which ones?
AudioThing, Mellowmuse to name a few. I know there are more but cant remember.
Is this really the case? What does this mean in practice - new products, upgrade etc. ? I don’t believe that Audiothing abandons all the existing vst2 customers. I own 10 Audiothing plugins, all are running as vst2?
i have no idea tbh. I just think it means that they AudioThing) wont do vst2 versions of new plugins, but they would (should really) update previous plugins they made in vst2 format.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

kingtubby wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 am
AnX wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 am ok, thanks for that, I will give it a try later (have to install a few vst3 synths first)

I just tried it in Bidule. In the vst2 list there appears 'vst3shell' under which all your vst3 fx or instruments are listed and can be loaded directly from there.

well, tried it here, i can see and load the shell, but it doesnt detect any vst3 plugins

shame, no big deal tho.

AnX wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 pm
kingtubby wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:40 am

well, tried it here, i can see and load the shell, but it doesnt detect any vst3 plugins

shame, no big deal tho.
I'm assuming it looks in the standard vst3 location i.e
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
If that's where you have your VST3 plugins it should be ok..
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

yes, I checked that

more than likely a host issue

Harry_HH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am Is this really the case? What does this mean in practice - new products, upgrade etc. ? I don’t believe that Audiothing abandons all the existing vst2 customers. I own 10 Audiothing plugins, all are running as vst2?
There's another thread discussing the fate of the VST2 format. In short, Steinberg really wants everyone to switch to VST3, and may have legally compelled some developers to give up their VST2 licenses.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 am
Harry_HH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am Is this really the case? What does this mean in practice - new products, upgrade etc. ? I don’t believe that Audiothing abandons all the existing vst2 customers. I own 10 Audiothing plugins, all are running as vst2?
There's another thread discussing the fate of the VST2 format. In short, Steinberg really wants everyone to switch to VST3, and may have legally compelled some developers to give up their VST2 licenses.
I have taken part in that thread, as well.
Still, what does this really mean in practice, and in what time table, seems to be unclear for most of the end users (and developers).

with Native.Instruments.Kontakt.Factory.Library.2.v1.0.4
i really don't know how to use the wrapper from Polac's VST3SHELL

Version 1.2 released at 25-Oct-2021
How to install:
Copy all files to your dedicated vst2 folder. Depending on your host you have to scan for new vst plugins.

Reason does not support VST3
does anyone have clear instructions how to get this working?

do i put the files into the VST of some Native Instruments or Native Access folder?
or
do i put the files into some Reason VST folder?
either way, nothing worked for me.

thanks in advance

qb0000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:55 pm i really don't know how to use the wrapper from Polac's VST3SHELL
The expected method is that the contents of the vst3shell zip file should be placed inside the path that's your appropriate VST2 plugin folder (.x64 files in your 64-bit VST2 folder for 64-bit VST3s, the rest in your 32-bit VST2 folder if you have 32-bit VST3s), then you should rescan for plugins from your host.

That will then create a 'shell' plugin similar to those for Waves plugins, ie one .dll which contains multiple plugins.

However I do it differently, and also use the Polac Shell2VST utility, so that I can have one .dll file per plugin. See the link for that here: viewtopic.php?t=512395
If your host doesnt handle Shell type plugins well, that might be your best route too.

Im only using it for 64-bit plugins, so I create a separate folder -not in my VST path- for the x64 VST32Shell files, and then copy shell2vst64.exe into that folder as well.

So it contains

vst3shell.x64.core
vsti3shell.dll
vst3shell.dll
shell2vst64.exe

Then drag and drop the two .dll files onto shell2vst64.exe

That should create a subfolder called VST3 containing one .dll file per VST3, of about 5K in size.

You can then drag -those- .dll files out of the VST3 folder and into your VST2 path.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thanks for your quick reply :)
you write "inside the path that's your appropriate VST2 plugin folder".
this is the "host" DAW VST folder?
I will need to decipher the rest of what you wrote

Return to “Instruments”