Medieval inspired melodic electro

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRer
11 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Hi
We are Tribe of Hǫfuð (Hofund), a Scandinavian electro duo. We are inspired by Nordic mythology and religion and the few things we know about our ancestor's songs and music. They made music long before it was written down, so every reconstruction is a best guess from known traditions and the instruments we know they used. We make use of accoustic guitar, analog and physical modeling synthesizers, which we record into Reason and finalize there with further help from software synths and effects. We are not that good at mastering yet. Besides, the genre is marginal, and we do not expect it to fall into mainstream taste, so plz do not be too harsh to us. However, if you like spirit of the past combined with the electronic sound of the present, there should be something in it for you. There will be more tunes coming this year.

https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154/valkyrie

KVRAF
7434 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:10 am

this was pretty cool, mix is good, however the song starts to drag on with little change.
perhaps introduce some new melodies as it goes and not repeat others too much?
cool, regardless.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRist
41 posts since 31 Aug, 2020

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:17 am

I really like the music but maybe you should push the bass a bit. When I pushed played I thought I had left a highpass filter somewhere lol

KVRian
1162 posts since 23 Jun, 2007 from Findlay OH USA

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:03 am

I have to agree with Layzer. Your production values are fine, but the piece could really use some more musical variety.

Best regards,

dp

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:32 am

Thanks. Yeah, We see what you mean. We also thought the violins were introduced too early and repeated too much in the end, guitar ditto. We could use a theme more. As to the bass: We have problems, because on some systems and headphones, there is too much, but others too little. How the heck we reach a balance is a problem. We do not want to loose our few plays and single "like" so far, so we have figure out a way to replace the file without deleting the frame.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:24 am

Ok. We chose to buy a mastering of the track, so bass should be louder now. However, it seems that we cannot do something about the arrangement, lest we delete the track and re-upload. If we release it on Bandcamp, we will rearrange and add. This must be as is for now, but we shall keep the critigue in mind for future tunes, so thanks very much for feedback :tu:

KVRAF

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:00 pm

the low/mid/high balance is still too high end focused.
here is a freq spec analysis of your track. anyone with
a properly calibrated listening environment will hear too much
high and not enough low and mids. the balance should look more like
the thick yellow line..... IMO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by layzer on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Thanks. We need to read about mastering.We have two pair of monitors, three pair of headphones and no pro environment. It is hard to judge how it will sound on other systems. I wish spectrum analysis could be a guide but lowering the highs does something to the clarity in some headphones. However, in one pair of headphones, we hear lack of bass and mids too, whereas we have bass enough in our monitors and the other pairs of headphones.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Hereby an official big thanks for feedback and especially Layser for mastering a snippet of the tune and provide a reference file and spectrum chart. What a generous service you get around here. Further, we could replace the file by subscribing to a pro soundcloud account. We have posted a new version with restored bass and some rearrangements in the end to vary the interaction between themes more. So advice taken and implemented. However, we are working on even better versions that will replace the former quitely as we get better at mastering. Replacement is a cool feature. Don't know about Soundcloud's own mastering robot...is it okay to say that it seemingly sucks or am I stepping on someone's toes?

Thanks for all feedback. Generous service, as said.
KInd Regards

KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:53 pm

you are welcome, but to be completely honest, i still find the
harsh frequencies at around 5khz over emphasized.
and that has to to to personal preference as we went over
in PMs. and most people would not even notice it, though.
keep it up :D

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm

Well, we will be working on it. It is an ongoing quest now we can replace, but you got us started. Sooner or later we will get to these naughty freqs :hihi: :hug:

KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:12 am

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm
Sooner or later we will get to these naughty freqs :hihi: :hug:
i'm sure you will, i just wish Frantz, Cham, HTCNext2, seismic and wags would chime in for more feedback on the balance. :help:

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:06 am

Right now, we have passed the file to @monkeyxx from Gearslutz (maybe he has an account at KVR too?), who voluntered to try to take it further. Maybe he will deal with the those freqs. We are eagerly awaiting the result, though he should take the time he needs. So nice with helpful people around in areas where you are lost.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 am

Hi Layzer
While we wait for monekyxx to do his bet, we have replaced the file once again. You said around 5kz, and that made some sense. We tried damping some highs at 2,5-5,5 khz, and we think it helped somewhat. As said, the file(s) will be replaced as we progress, so there is plenty of room for experimenting.

KVRian
722 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Enjoyed it - nice sound combos and melodic touches that create a pretty decent hybrid electro / folk atmosphere.

But, for me, it desperately needs to go somewhere musically...not enough content really for nearly 5 minutes.

Not gonna comment much on the production as I'm not sure which version I'm listening to now! :)

One quick point though - if there were issues with balance, lack of bass, upper frequency harshness etc then that is NOT a mastering issue at all! Such areas should be addressed and sorted during mixing, with the mastering process just adding a final bit of solidity and polish. VERY difficult for even the best mastering engineer to solve any serious mix issues!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Return to “Music Cafe”