[Orchestral] Choices

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRer
4 posts since 14 Jan, 2018

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 am

Hello Music Café,

It's been a while, so i'd be grateful for some feedback for this little orchestral piece, im working on for too long now ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dokemampfer/choices

Written in FL Studio with EW Hollywood samples.

Every comment is appriciated, since i know there is way to go for authentic orchestral music and i want to move in the right direction. Thanks to Frantz and Vurt for their feedback to my last post.

Cheers,
Doke

KVRist
80 posts since 7 Aug, 2011

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 am

I like it, wish the mix was heavier and dirtier (HZ style) but that's just my taste, nothing wrong with your clean approach
the short part before the climax (starting about 2:08) felt a little unnatural to me, slow low octave strings would satisfy me much more there, something like fake ending before it hits
all in all I enjoyed it

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am

ssl4000 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 am
I like it, wish the mix was heavier and dirtier (HZ style) but that's just my taste, nothing wrong with your clean approach
the short part before the climax (starting about 2:08) felt a little unnatural to me, slow low octave strings would satisfy me much more there, something like fake ending before it hits
all in all I enjoyed it
Thank you very much for your opinion and your suggestion. I also love the HZ style, but i yet i did not manage to add his rough sound without losing the "music". So pls give me some more learning cycles for this ;)
Regarding the low strings: I could imagine adding an intermezzo with lower strings and some harmonic modulation. I'd let you know if i managed to add such.

KVRian
722 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Enjoyed it - particularly the effective melodic content in there.

For me it has great potential but hasn't all quite come together 100%?

For me areas for improvement musically include:
1) A more nuanced, subtle approach towards use of texture....more ongoing rise and fall...especially at the end of musical phrases.
2) More variation in the underlying harmonic pace - often crucial for effective the ebb and flow of musical phrases.

Orchestral sound palette also need more attention to detail...

1) More use of keyswitches to move between different articulations.
2) Additional use of CC to add subtle rise and fall / ongoing movement to sounds.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:36 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:12 pm
2) Additional use of CC to add subtle rise and fall / ongoing movement to sounds.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your advice, i'm glad you enjoyed it.
Your comments are worthful and interesting, because I thought I already use a lot of CC (1 & 11) and articulations, especially in the lead voices; but obviously i do this in a way so that it's not really audible. I will try experimenting with articulating/modulate also the accompaniment layers and maybe reduce the overall number of voices (e.g. currently it's 12 voices + percussion @ 1:36, not sure if too much or too less).

Thanks again for your opinion :)

KVRist
245 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:56 am

Doke wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:36 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:12 pm
Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your advice, i'm glad you enjoyed it.
Your comments are worthful and interesting, because I thought I already use a lot of CC (1 & 11) and articulations, especially in the lead voices; but obviously i do this in a way so that it's not really audible. I will try experimenting with articulating/modulate also the accompaniment layers and maybe reduce the overall number of voices (e.g. currently it's 12 voices + percussion @ 1:36, not sure if too much or too less).

Thanks again for your opinion :)
It does get a bit "muddy" at the end, but I like the idea. However, some more variation to the theme (ie. a secondary/third theme) might be a good idea.

As for articulation, dynamics etc. I always draw the curves manually for each note. Often, I make use of several ups/downs for every note, so it gets more variation.

Another tip would be to increase the dynamics (higher dynamics/expression curves) in some places to make it louder, but be careful not to overuse it.

12 voices is a lot, I think you should cut it down. Have 2 sets of violins, a viola, cello, bass, a flute and horns. Thats 7-8 voices.

KVRer
1 posts since 15 Feb, 2021

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:41 am

It was a pleasure to listen to your creation, from beginning to end. You must be delighted with the result.

Return to “Music Cafe”