[Downtempo/LoFi] Nightly Pursuits

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
475 posts since 7 Apr, 2007 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Hey all,

Working on a new album and love a bit of feedback on initial mixes. Currently unmastered as I dont want that to be a factor. Track is Nightly Pursuits. Cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/fixederror/night ... CiKxgnU2ub

KVRist
36 posts since 6 Oct, 2019 from Roermond, The Netherlands

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 am

What kind of feedback do you want? I have listened to it and think the production is already very complete and good. In my ears the track is ready :-)

If you want constructive feedback from fellow artists you can use RepostExchange from SoundCloud.

KVRian
722 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:43 am

Enjoyed it - very 1990s Ambient...shades of Zero 7 and Air etc.

I think in general it is well produced - warm and solid with a well balanced freq spectrum. The overall groove is also very well constructed - all the parts gently drive forward together.

My one big issue with the mix was the 'hole' in the centre at times...nothing significant there to drag the listener in and (for me) too many clever little L/R pan effects and noises...some of which were possibly too wide...leading to that hollow centre? I love doing all those little tricks myself, but the honest truth is that they are often relatively inconsequential 'extras' for most listeners.

Linked to the above: It's all very pleasant, chilled and relaxing, but it maybe lacks a killer hook / lead synth riff / silky lead vocalist singing a catchy phrase or two - something that would also fill in that mix centre? I found myself constantly expecting the next musical phrase to bring in a more dominant lead line of some sort - vocal, muted trumpet..whatever, really.

It works well, but I thought it could've 'risen' even further?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRist

Topic Starter

475 posts since 7 Apr, 2007 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:43 am
Linked to the above: It's all very pleasant, chilled and relaxing, but it maybe lacks a killer hook / lead synth riff / silky lead vocalist singing a catchy phrase or two - something that would also fill in that mix centre? I found myself constantly expecting the next musical phrase to bring in a more dominant lead line of some sort - vocal, muted trumpet..whatever, really.

It works well, but I thought it could've 'risen' even further?
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I know what you mean and sort of agree. I didn't want anything too singularly melodic rolling through the track. It was meant to be more of a subdued, sit back and nod your head type of thing. Something you just get into but doesnt pick up too much from where it started. Having said that. I am actually intending to have a female vocalist do some stuff on it so that might help in that regard.

I had some concerns with the width of some of the fx here and there. I'm on a mono bent of late and am enjoying have things narrower and up the centre so I might tweaks some of those things a bit. If the vocal part works out it may not need to much tweaking.

KVRAF
7434 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 am

what Cham said, its a good backing track, the guitar is nice, but its just noodling.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRian
595 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:55 pm

I gave it a few listens, and I like it! Technically, I noticed no faults, but my monitors were a TV. :hihi:

If you care about my opinion of the music and will indulge me in a little nitpicking, I didn't much care for the snare sound that starts at 1:55. Also, I didn't feel the guitar that starts around 3:30 really gelled with the vibe of the track. It could grow on me, though.

Anyway, well done, and thanks for sharing!

KVRian
572 posts since 3 Jul, 2017

Post Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Nice piece of music. Some references to the sound of K&D back in the nineties, mentioned before already. The production is well done, although I am not a big fan of sampled acoustic drum kits (I tend to use more electronic hits) but not a problem here. Nice work!

KVRAF
1553 posts since 30 Jul, 2007

Post Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:33 pm

Solid track, atmosphere, and the horns that come in are a nice move. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”