Waldorf PPG Wave 3 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pmI'm not sure I understand the diferences between the LE version and the 'full' version. What do you mean by a limtied attack? Does that mean you can only set the attack speed of a sound to a certain degree? that seems a bit odd so that can' tbe right.

There are 3 Waldorf PPG Wave product versions you can choose from:

- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full (part of Edition 2 bundle)

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE (part of Edition 2 LE bundle)

Waldorf Edition 2 LE for €19.90 consists of 3 individual plugins:

- Waldorf Attack LE (Drum Synth)

- Waldorf 2-Pole (Filter Effect)

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE

Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE has the following limitations compared to the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full:

- 1 MIDI channel (Full: 8 )
- 8 Voice polyphony (Full: 64)
- 1 Stereo Output (Full: 2)
- No possible upgrade to PPG Wave 3.V in Waldorf webshop (Full: Upgrade possible)

Source: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/waldorf-edi ... -editionle
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure if I need more than 1 MIDI channel. Is that something I ought be concerned about? I just assign a vst to the track in my DAW and go.

8 note polyphony seems fine, how many didi the original instrument have? I don't think I have anything I use at more than that anyway. Mainly because it's heavy on the CPU. Besides I find unison lines with loads of voices get a bit out of hand.

Again, how many stereo outputs does one need?

I've seen the LE version for a few bucks on knobcloud (that name will never stop making me snigger).

The freebie emulation has decent sounds but the interface isn't intuitive. There's no tutorial I can find.

I have the PPG demo, the interface isn't much better. It's ridiclously small.
ecasasmusic2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:24 pm The main limitation of Waldorf PPG 3 is the small dated GUI. The preset browser is from the stone age and everything is small and not very atractive for tweaking. It's a plugin from ten years ago, with no significant updates. I have it, and the sounds are OK but nothing special IMHO, compared with the sounds you can get with any wavetable synth from today. I understand the nostalgic factor for people who wants that specific sound, but I never would pay the full price for this.
I have Hive which does wavetables. I've never really made use of them before. Know nothing about them really. I want the PPG because I liked the sounds it got when used by Tangerine Dream. If this LE version has those presets (if any are) then great. If there's something that can do those sounds better then I'd like to know.
Unless you want to go "full-on" PPG for a tune (and if you're trying to emulate Tangerine Dream, you might want to go full-on PPG), you won't really notice any of the "limitations"...except for the very small GUI. I have the PPG 2 LE version and it was fine for me for years. I only went to the PPG Wave 3.V version because it was $19.99...or free, I don't remember.

The preset system does suck, and the original presets aren't named -- they're only numbered (you can rename them though). This could make matching something with what someone else used rather difficult. But from everything I've read, it does come with the original presets. That said, I doubt Tangerine Dream used the default presets, especially considering they helped develop some of PPG's products. :wink: They almost certainly had the tools to create their own waves. That said, there are also dozens of other sounds for it floating around, if you want them.

The PPG Wave 3.V can (supposedly) emulate the output of the original hardware's 2.3 and 2.2 versions. (The 2.3 version had 12-bit waves; the 2.2 version had 8-bit waves.) It's also multi-timbral. But the same presets loaded in it don't necessarily sound the same as they do in PPG Wave 2.xV, even if you change the "PPG Wave Mode" in 3.V to "match" the 2.2V VST.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Herman seib is still the closest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRh-mGQR44&t=25s
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I was able to get the LE version super cheap, which is fine. But there is a complete lack iof explanation. To say nothing of the appallingly convoluted purchase process.
I have no idea how you save patches or sounds.
I don't know what 'compr' does - 'compressor'? it doesn't sound like one at all.
What is 'akku'? Is that even a word?
The GUI is awful. There is no easy way to cycle through presets. You have to drag the mouse cursor to change through the wavetables, but it's so sensitive you can skip them very easily. There is no drop down menu or single click to change, for example. The screen (which is tiny) is light blue text on dark background. I can't see any interface change options. The whole thing was designed with no thought for the visually impaired or anyone that doesn't want to squint like a fiend.
Pressing the button marked 'Keyb.' (which I take to mean Keyboard) does nothing at all.
I'm unclear how the LFO affects anything. I see no way to link it to anything.
You can copy and paste, I don't know what or where I'd paste it.
I see no way to build complex patches, using multiple sounds, apparently you can but this is also not clear.

I get that this is an 'LE' version. But that really is no excuse. If you want to sell a 150 euro version which is fully featured, then good luck to you. If you want to sell a smaller version that's till useful, then again, great. This isn't that from what I can see. I am happy to be corrected. It sounds nice enoughm but in terms of utility, give me a break.

chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:08 pm There is a manual. https://support.waldorfmusic.com/files/ ... ual_EN.pdf
Thanks.

I am utterly confused as to how you select programs and banks. How do i get multiple sounds at once?

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pmHow do i get multiple sounds at once?
That's not possible with LE version. We talked about that earlier. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pmI am utterly confused as to how you select programs and banks.
What host/DAW are you using? There could/should be a browser for changing VST banks *.fxb and programs in the plugin window.

I never understood the thing either TBH. It's a confusing synth.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:41 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pmHow do i get multiple sounds at once?
That's not possible with LE version. We talked about that earlier. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pmI am utterly confused as to how you select programs and banks.
What host/DAW are you using? There could/should be a browser for changing VST banks *.fxb and programs in the plugin window.
1. No one has mentioned this at all, and if it's not possible, why does the manual talk (confusingly) about Multi Mode? What's the point of it then?
2. I'm using Reaper, but that wasn't my issue. What I was referring to is the lack of means to store sounds you create. The only way to do it is to create a sound and save it in the DAW which is hardly productive.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm1. No one has mentioned this at all
I wrote about the 4 LE and Full differences. Please don't let me waste time. :(
Etienne1973 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 pmWaldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE has the following limitations compared to the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full:

- No possible upgrade to PPG Wave 3.V in Waldorf webshop (Full: Upgrade possible)
1 MIDI channel means no multimode. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pmwhy does the manual talk (confusingly) about Multi Mode?
Because it's the manual of the full version. No special LE manual available. But just keep in mind the 4 differences. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm 2. I'm using Reaper, but that wasn't my issue. What I was referring to is the lack of means to store sounds you create. The only way to do it is to create a sound and save it in the DAW which is hardly productive.
I agree.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:38 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm1. No one has mentioned this at all
I wrote about the 4 LE and Full differences. Please don't let me waste time. :(
Etienne1973 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 pmWaldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE has the following limitations compared to the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full:

1 MIDI channel means no multimode. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pmwhy does the manual talk (confusingly) about Multi Mode?
Because it's the manual of the full version. No special LE manual available. But just keep in mind the 4 differences. :wink:
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm 2. I'm using Reaper, but that wasn't my issue. What I was referring to is the lack of means to store sounds you create. The only way to do it is to create a sound and save it in the DAW which is hardly productive.
I agree.
I have no idea how midi channels are necessary for multimode. Surely every track in a song is assigned to a single midi channel anyway.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm I was able to get the LE version super cheap, which is fine. But there is a complete lack iof explanation. To say nothing of the appallingly convoluted purchase process.
I don't know what 'compr' does - 'compressor'? it doesn't sound like one at all.
The GUI is awful. There is no easy way to cycle through presets. You have to drag the mouse cursor to change through the wavetables, but it's so sensitive you can skip them very easily. There is no drop down menu or single click to change, for example. The screen (which is tiny) is light blue text on dark background. I can't see any interface change options. The whole thing was designed with no thought for the visually impaired or anyone that doesn't want to squint like a fiend.
Pressing the button marked 'Keyb.' (which I take to mean Keyboard) does nothing at all.
I see no way to build complex patches, using multiple sounds, apparently you can but this is also not clear.

I get that this is an 'LE' version. But that really is no excuse. If you want to sell a 150 euro version which is fully featured, then good luck to you. If you want to sell a smaller version that's till useful, then again, great. This isn't that from what I can see. I am happy to be corrected. It sounds nice enough but in terms of utility, give me a break.
Ah, another satisfied customer! ;)

From the manual:
"If you press the CMPR button, it lights up in red, indicating that Compare is active,
and the sound changes back to its original settings. Pressing CMPR again, brings
back the edited version.
 If you hold down [Shift] while you press the CMPR button, the Sound will immediately set back to its original settings and the edited version is abandoned.
 When Compare is active, you can get the same effect by simply changing the
Sound Program. Use one of these two methods if you are not satisfied with your
edited Sound.
 If you click on AKKU, then the selected sound is set back to its default settings.
 If you hold down ALT while pressing the AKKU button, a random sound is created
(similar to the original PPG, which did this, when its internal battery was empty).
You really should try out this function, as new interesting Sounds can be created
this way. Hint: ProTools uses the CTRL + Click commands to randomize a sound."

To be fair, we warned you about the GUI. And getting "multiple sounds at once" wouldn't help you much since the synth only has 4 outputs at the most. Being able to load 8 instruments in the full version is almost useless because it's difficult to adjust the levels and effects with the small GUI and tiny text. Cramming those 8 instruments out through 4 outputs isn't much of a solution. You might as well just load separate instances in your DAW.

The LFO and modulation options are in the manual, starting around page 50. The options aren't that extensive because this is based upon the original PPG. Waldorf added a few more options that the original didn't have, but they didn't go crazy with making this a full-featured synth. It's more about the sounds it creates than how much you can modulate them.

And keep in mind that Waldorf doesn't really care much. They've had a history of not updating their synths and not responding to support requests. You'll get used to the quirks and limitations of this synth, and hopefully you'll find out how to start making some cool sounds with it. There are a lot of PPG presets and wavetable files scattered on the Interwebz if you want to look for them. They'll help you learn more about what this can do.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I think it's fairly obvious they don't care. If i ever get the full version it will certainly be through a license transfer.

As it stands I only paid £7 for this so I'm not bothered, and the sounds are worth the grief of bad design for the price.

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 pm Still hope that ADP (or someone else) does Nave for 29.99 € at some time. :)
Its $59.99 at the moment

https://audioplugin.deals/nave-vst-au-aax-by-waldorf/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

planetearth wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:30 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm I was able to get the LE version super cheap, which is fine. But there is a complete lack iof explanation. To say nothing of the appallingly convoluted purchase process.

I get that this is an 'LE' version. But that really is no excuse. If you want to sell a 150 euro version which is fully featured, then good luck to you. If you want to sell a smaller version that's till useful, then again, great. This isn't that from what I can see. I am happy to be corrected. It sounds nice enough but in terms of utility, give me a break.
Ah, another satisfied customer! ;)

From the manual:
"If you press the CMPR button, it lights up in red, indicating that Compare is active,
and the sound changes back to its original settings. Pressing CMPR again, brings
back the edited version.
 If you hold down [Shift] while you press the CMPR button, the Sound will immediately set back to its original settings and the edited version is abandoned.
 When Compare is active, you can get the same effect by simply changing the
Sound Program. Use one of these two methods if you are not satisfied with your
edited Sound.
 If you click on AKKU, then the selected sound is set back to its default settings.
 If you hold down ALT while pressing the AKKU button, a random sound is created
(similar to the original PPG, which did this, when its internal battery was empty).
You really should try out this function, as new interesting Sounds can be created
this way. Hint: ProTools uses the CTRL + Click commands to randomize a sound."

To be fair, we warned you about the GUI. And getting "multiple sounds at once" wouldn't help you much since the synth only has 4 outputs at the most. Being able to load 8 instruments in the full version is almost useless because it's difficult to adjust the levels and effects with the small GUI and tiny text. Cramming those 8 instruments out through 4 outputs isn't much of a solution. You might as well just load separate instances in your DAW.

The LFO and modulation options are in the manual, starting around page 50. The options aren't that extensive because this is based upon the original PPG. Waldorf added a few more options that the original didn't have, but they didn't go crazy with making this a full-featured synth. It's more about the sounds it creates than how much you can modulate them.

And keep in mind that Waldorf doesn't really care much. They've had a history of not updating their synths and not responding to support requests. You'll get used to the quirks and limitations of this synth, and hopefully you'll find out how to start making some cool sounds with it. There are a lot of PPG presets and wavetable files scattered on the Interwebz if you want to look for them. They'll help you learn more about what this can do.

Steve
They've been responding to my support emails lately. Not sure if that's just my experience.

Definitely worth reading the manual.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”