Funk vs Funky - Apollo (WIP)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
248 posts since 8 Dec, 2013 from Groningen

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 am

Hi there,
Been a while since if been active on this forum/in music in general. But recently i had some inspiration and made a track with it.
Its pretty different from what I usually make and I would very much like some feedback on what I have so far.
Arrangement this track has been quite the struggle, but I'm curious how this track comes across to the general listener.

For this track I've sampled everything and everybody and then sum. It's a uptempo funky tune, I hope you like it:)

https://soundcloud.com/maarten-pool/fun ... GS0bgrQre7

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm

So, about 60 people seen this, but nobody thinks anything of it?!

KVRian
966 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 pm

It's alright, enjoyed the listen, but....

The 'talking over a funk beat' has been done so many times, I suppose...from James Brown onwards...maybe they just listened and couldn't think of much to say!?

Also - some of those brass loops just don't quite match up harmonically / melodically with each other or the bass line...

Yeah, you could argue that it's deliberately discordant, but for me it doesn't quite work 100%.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRian
1495 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm

Interesting, enjoyed parts of it.
The kick is a bit too thick for me though.

KVRist
480 posts since 7 Apr, 2007 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:14 pm

I like it. Right up my alley. I do think some of the brass elements might need a little tuning on certain notes to fit to the key. But it's a nice groove with some great breakdowns and movement. Might benefit from another melodic line or two here and there.

I'd also counter what Chameleon Music said in regards to the voice. I can see you're going for a certain style and genre where the vocal element serves an alternate purpose. I don't think it really matters if it's been done before, as everything's been done before.for me it gave the track some additional identity and narrative. Nicely done 👍

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:32 am

Thnx for the responses! :)
For the vocal, that was really a means for me to 'glue' some ideas together. I was struggeling with the arrangement all of the project, and this way I was able to switch quite abruptly for stage to stage.

For the matter of melodies. I'm working with small bits of samples. all the notes/tones you're hearing are cut from a particulair sample. switching melodies or adding a different octave or anything are pretty much impossible for me. I unfortunately don't have that great ears when it comes recognizing a false melody or something. and when i start pitching samples, I know it'll turn to sh@#% ;)

But it's still a WIP so I try to incorporate the feedback given here! thnx!

Return to “Music Cafe”