[Medieval/Folk Electro] - Freya's Dance.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
135 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am

Hi again KVR
Here is yet an attempt to consolidate our medieval electro style. Hopefully the default mastering is better this time. However, we have an engineer to fix it further and can replace our file at soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154/freyas-dance

Cheers
Gothi and Peter
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 Bodyssey, Deepmind 6, MC909, Microkorg, MPC One, MU100R/VL70 w. BC1, Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Polivoks, Prophecy, WSA-1, Mac Air w. Reason 11 Suite + Nektar P4.

KVRAF
20343 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:00 pm

I see nobody's commented so far so I thought I'd give you a little boost.

Musically, I enjoyed it. Very different. Mix seems fine to me but I'm not overly picky. Good job!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:29 am

Thanks, man. Appreciated. We got more feedback around here with the first tune, so I guess it depends on how busy people are.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 Bodyssey, Deepmind 6, MC909, Microkorg, MPC One, MU100R/VL70 w. BC1, Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Polivoks, Prophecy, WSA-1, Mac Air w. Reason 11 Suite + Nektar P4.

KVRian
984 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:44 am

Very different.
Agree with Wags in that I enjoyed it, but I found it a little bit too generic and predictable...That folky vibe is great especially when fused with a bit of electronica, but when you've listened to a ton of bands like Ozric Tentacles, Eat Static, Nodens Ictus etc you need an edge of something just a little bit different when Cm Bb Ab Cm Bb Ab are repeated over and over again? For me it either needed some more musical development or to be edited down shorter.

Production-wise it's all much more clear, tight and balanced compared with your last track on here. I did find some of the parts very widely spread in terms of the stereo...almost out of touch with the rest of the music at times?

Note: the flute-like sound at around 40 secs is seriously out of tune! Admittedly, I'm more sensitive to this issue than many, but it does have a noticeable intonation issue!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am

Thanks for feedback, mate. We are surely relieved to read that the mastering is more balanced. And yes, we hard spread and hard pan some instruments because there are a lot of things going on with regard to instrumentation, harmony, polyphony and effects, so to seperate the many elements, we occopy the whole scene. We also try to reach a more medieval like rhythm arrangement by using spread wardrums/toms. There is only a rather subliminal BD in the center, but no snare or 4-to-the-floor. So these are choices by which we hope to signify our sound. We like it this way.

Thanks again.

KVRian
1186 posts since 23 Jun, 2007 from Findlay OH USA

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:56 am

Better and better. Mark's comments are spot-on, especially re: that flute intonation at the indicated point, and it is a bit long for the material. Balances are good through my monitors, and overall your production is improving a lot. Keep moving forward. :)

Best regards,

dp

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks, man :hug:

KVRAF
3344 posts since 21 Mar, 2020 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 am

This is really beautiful. I'm a big fan of folk and I am a big fan of electronica and you have combined them to great effect. When the guitar gets harmonized, it even starts to sound like Mike Oldfield. Nice work! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Sad about tomorrow
Sorry, but it's not my fault

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 pm

Erisian wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 am
This is really beautiful. I'm a big fan of folk and I am a big fan of electronica and you have combined them to great effect. When the guitar gets harmonized, it even starts to sound like Mike Oldfield. Nice work! :tu: :tu: :tu:
It really warms our heart to hear you have the same spots as us and we hit it. Even more so on your guitar remarks for particularly Mike Oldfield’s Ommadawn is very dear to us as an eternal source of inspiration. :hug:

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:04 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:44 am

Production-wise it's all much more clear, tight and balanced compared with your last track on here. I did find some of the parts very widely spread in terms of the stereo...almost out of touch with the rest of the music at times?

Note: the flute-like sound at around 40 secs is seriously out of tune! Admittedly, I'm more sensitive to this issue than many, but it does have a noticeable intonation issue!
Hi there. This is just to ensure that people's feedback has an impact and is very appreciated. We kept the arrangement as is but we dropped the mistuned flute in the first verse (@&%+# samplepack!) and replaced it with another in the chorus. Further, we narrowed the width a bit and placed the bagpipes closer to the center to avoid too much spreading. Finally, we think we managed to make an even clearer mix. The violins were kind of "canned" and noisy. Thanks again for valuable feedback. We shall have more coming.

Kind Regards :hug:
ToH
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

addled muppet weed
76917 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:38 am

nice work.
i get what mark is saying regards his ozrics comment, but i don't fully agree.
yes, they do go a little bit furthur, as they say, but not all has to imo.

suns of arqa also do a sort of world folk tronica type thing, sullys reel is similar to this, in that it is heavy folk with tinges of tronica rather than the other way around.
take the oroonies (not the cheapsuit oroonies) and they are more pagan folk with less electronic.
there's room for all!

guess what im saying is, while i love the 3 bands (all related!) that mark mentions, i can also enjoy this as it is.

(although, i admit, norse mythology, i was expecting something more techno :hihi: dunno why, probably techno viking from the meme)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:21 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:38 am
(although, i admit, norse mythology, i was expecting something more techno :hihi: dunno why, probably techno viking from the meme)
He, he! If you mean music that has a lot of rhythm, some chords maybe, but usually lacks melody, we easily get bored, though there are cool viking ambient out there. Our training in classical music makes us long for melodies, polyphony and harmonies soon, so one leg shall be planted in the solid ground of folk. However, among it shall be tunes that rely heavily on techno too. "Valkyrie" is build around an acid line from our noisy Polivoks synth:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=560346&p=8031974#p8031974

Thanks for the interest and feedback, mate :tu:

ToH
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:04 am
ChameleonMusic wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:44 am

Hi there. This is just to ensure that people's feedback has an impact and is very appreciated. We kept the arrangement as is but we dropped the mistuned flute in the first verse (@&%+# samplepack!) and replaced it with another in the chorus. Further, we narrowed the width a bit and placed the bagpipes closer to the center to avoid too much spreading. Finally, we think we managed to make an even clearer mix. The violins were kind of "canned" and noisy. Thanks again for valuable feedback. We shall have more coming.

Kind Regards :hug:
ToH
Yeah, does definitely sound better in terms of the stereo spread! 😊
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

KVRian

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm

vurt wrote:
nice work.

suns of arqa also do a sort of world folk tronica type thing, sullys reel is similar to this, in that it is heavy folk with tinges of tronica rather than the other way around.
take the oroonies (not the cheapsuit oroonies) and they are more pagan folk with less electronic.
there's room for all!

guess what im saying is, while i love the 3 bands (all related!) that mark mentions, i can also enjoy this as it is.

Ozrics go a helluva lot further sometimes... Sat in a field listening to them... Think it was a field... It was all a bit 'hazy' if you get my drift! 🙄

You're 100% right though... There is a definite place for the more hypnotic, minimalist approach without a doubt...but to do that really effectively is always a tough call.

addled muppet weed
76917 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:17 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm
vurt wrote:
nice work.

there's room for all!

Ozrics go a helluva lot further sometimes... Sat in a field listening to them... Think it was a field... It was all a bit 'hazy' if you get my drift! 🙄

You're 100% right though... There is a definite place for the more hypnotic, minimalist approach without a doubt...but to do that really effectively is always a tough call.
have sat in many a field while ed worked his magick on the guitar :hail:

well, to pull anything off effectively isn't easy, it's all the more sweet for it if you do! :hihi:

nodens ictus was nice to read though, rarely hear them mentioned :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”