Most annoying uneccessary technology: Pre scanning of plugins, please DON'T!!!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lol. I wish I could afford “ thousands of plugins” to test this... 😃

quikquak wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm Lol. I wish I could afford “ thousands of plugins” to test this... 😃
There's plenty of freeware available.

Haven't read everything here, But I'm with the NO scan at startup clan. Been always loving the FL fast scan (folder scan). If you want more decorative info, Just do the full scan per plugin when the user intentionally starts that plugin and save that in your database. The advantages just way outway the dis-advantages.

Unattended start-up scanning is not just troublesome, and time wasting. It's actually dangerous!!. Someone might just place a malicious DLL in the plugin folder having the correct VST entry points. And when DAW scans, it has to execute that entry point, which can silently wreak havoc.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

The best plugin manager ever is being allowed to browse for the dll to load... :love:
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

Actually the argument should be flipped around: plugin developers, don't do anything that goes in the way of initial scan. Don't load huge samples, and more importantly, don't you dare display a window or prompt of any kind. Some ILok protected plugins are the worst offenders.

umd wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:46 pm The best plugin manager ever is being allowed to browse for the dll to load... :love:
That's what I like about VeSTige in LMMS. No scanning necessary.

fese wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am Plugins can be uninstalled, moved, renamed and so on, that’s why it is necessary to scan plugin folders once in a while, and the best time for that is on program startup.
So this argues for it being a default that experience users can disable. I know when I move plugins. I don't use every plugin in every host. So, I would prefer to scan only when I move, rename, uninstall, or install a plugin that I'm going to use in a certain host.

I don't think that this is a good argument for necessity so much as it's an argument to minimize support calls.

A piece of software like a DAW needs to scan plugins ahead of time to know whether they are effects or instruments, how many channels they accept, etc., before they know where and when to display them in the user interface. You could always postpone the full scan but then some plugins would be missing.

Edouard Digital wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 pm A piece of software like a DAW needs to scan plugins ahead of time to know whether they are effects or instruments, how many channels they accept, etc., before they know where and when to display them in the user interface. You could always postpone the full scan but then some plugins would be missing.
Ahead of time != startup. How about reading some of the discussion before posting? A plugin that is in my VST folder that I will never use in DAW X does not need to be scanned by DAW X. Giving users this control as an active preference allows them to decide whether they want this behavior or not.

Again, I suspect that the primary reason is one of reducing tech support costs. For every person that understands enough of the issues to make a good decision for themselves there are a thousand dolts would would turn if off and then dial tech support the minute their new foobar synth didn't load.

Closed source DAWs are full of closed source nonsense.
It's pointless to complain about closed source nonsense.
Best is not to use it and let it die out.

Edouard Digital wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 pm A piece of software like a DAW needs to scan plugins ahead of time to know whether they are effects or instruments, how many channels they accept, etc., before they know where and when to display them in the user interface. You could always postpone the full scan but then some plugins would be missing.
To get a hosting plugin to work at all, I had to remove all my plugins except those I wanted to use, let it scan and then move the others back in. Instead of simply drag and drop the plugin…
I know usually better if a plugin is an fx, instrument or both. Most plugin browsers are worse than the OS browser anyway (Apple can you hear me?). No crucial need to list them in advance. After it had been used the first time it can be listed, you could also let it scan by demand. Anyway Bitwig seems to do it right, just do the same… (it does scan actually, even while its running, but it never ever gets in the way nor slows down the startup…)

Scotty wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:02 pm Cubase does a full scan from scratch when the clocks move forward or backwards.
on Windows OS it does;
I've not seen it in >15 yrs

the annoying thing Cubase does here (after trashing prefs), is have a problem with some of them (same ones always: Guitar Rig) and tell me there's a problem and to check the plugin for something. I can't fecking check a plugin outside the host (and if I check it in another host it's not actually relevant to the problem Cubase is having). Then it resolves the issue after taking over focus of the computer and being a right PITA to tell me this bullshit.

Q9000 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 am Closed source DAWs are full of closed source nonsense.
It's pointless to complain about closed source nonsense.
Best is not to use it and let it die out.
some of us are doing music with the tools and have no time for this purist ideological stuff

jancivil wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:40 pm
Scotty wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:02 pm Cubase does a full scan from scratch when the clocks move forward or backwards.
on Windows OS it does;
I've not seen it in >15 yrs

the annoying thing Cubase does here (after trashing prefs), is have a problem with some of them (same ones always: Guitar Rig) and tell me there's a problem and to check the plugin for something. I can't fecking check a plugin outside the host (and if I check it in another host it's not actually relevant to the problem Cubase is having). Then it resolves the issue after taking over focus of the computer and being a right PITA to tell me this bullshit.
On Windows it doesn't do this anymore for two years or so...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”