1980s Ambient sounds, BT (UK) telephone tones/announcements, BBC Radio 4 discussions

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
KVRAF
2178 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

Made me think and look for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdWaBdwahA

Some parts of this include truely horrific DX sounds. And some of the rest is just truely horrific like the Belsen section. The bit I remember most was the Ian Paisley section around 12 minutes. I remember it being considereable tighter in the editing though.

KVRer

Topic Starter

13 posts since 2 Mar, 2021 from Southport, UK

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 am

ChamomileShark wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:16 am
Fab. Robert Robinson?

As it looks like old UK geezers corner, what was the name of the Scottish presenter, Robbie something?
Yes! Robinson is him. I was stuck on Cliff Michelmore but knew he didn't sound right. As for the Scot.... sorry, no idea. :(

And yes - The "Peace on Earth" tape is a recording from FM radio when it was broadcast on Radio1 (or Radio 2 - had Radio 1 got its own FM frequencies by then?) I kept it for the MLK "I have a dream" samples... this was at the end of the year I think? Probably inspired by the whole "Live Aid" phenomenon.

EDIT: Just listened through the whole "Peace on Earth" thing and 1. yes, horrible DX noise 2. very obviously referencing Michael Buerk's Ethopia famine broadcast and 3. not as much MLK as I remembered.
zedstarr HQ
zedstarr sounds
32.45% of statistics are made up on the spot...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”