Retro - Synthwave ...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
35 posts since 30 Oct, 2015

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:21 am

Hey there,

I am about finished with this little synthwave project ...

https://soundcloud.com/virtualex_germany/retro

I started this during the end-of-year holidays - looking back in time :-).

If you hear anything that sounds problematic, it would be kind to let me know ...

thx and have a great Sunday!

Virtualex

KVRian
971 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:23 am

Great listen...shades of 1970s Tangerine Dream at times for me...enjoyed it.

Production-wise, it's all well done overall, but a couple of things started to bug me a little bit on the 2nd listen...

1) You have a lot of big, rich, powerful sounds in there together and that is difficult to handle, mix-wise...
For me everything was a little bit too blended together at times so that the whole thing lacked an edge of clarity...

Maybe too much overlap in terms of frequencies?
Might just be the use of reverb, which I thought was a little heavy-handed across so many parts...could've been dialled down on some sounds for my tastes....giving the mix more 'front to back' depth?
Could also be the 'width' of some parts...more variation needed?

2) Low end - seemed just a little bit dominant overall down there at times...sometimes a touch 'muddy' in the low / mids...at other moments a little bit 'boomy' down in the subs?

All small points!!!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

KVRAF
7564 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:25 pm

like the composition, smooth leads, but they get a little buried in the
over limited big pads that sound a bit strained to me, esp in the low end.
just as mark noted. they even start out like gang busters.
i'm also picking up the boomy from the sub freq's
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRian
1498 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Liked the lush production, some very nice elements in there. Liked the 80s drums in particular.
For me in terms of the mix, its very mid-rangey and lots of elements mush together.
Would be good to hear some separation between the elements, L&R and width and depth. Turning any mid-range hogs down like pads now and again.
Overall enjoyed it though :tu:

KVRer
15 posts since 18 Mar, 2021

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:28 am

Nice, I liked it. You are using simple harmonics chords, but it works. Keep up the good work ;)

KVRist
174 posts since 16 Oct, 2009 from Italy

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:20 pm

This could easily fit in a TD album :D absolutely great work, really engaging and immersive, in fact I had to play it back a second time to catch all the details. There is a lot of stuff going on, yes, but more expert ears have already stated this so I won't comment on the technical side. The ONLY thing that I didn't like is that "bouncy" sound with the ping-pong delay, maybe a different note would have been less 'dissonant' . Everything else is great.
I am musically schizophrenic

Return to “Music Cafe”