String MIDI channels and Ample Guitar String Selection

Official support for: amplesound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a question on how to get Ample Guitar to play the correct string from midi input I provide from a Jamstik Studio Midi Guitar. I verified from the MIDI list view in my DAW that string 1 on the controller sends on MIDI channel 1, string 2 on Ch 2, etc. However I can't get Ample Guitar to always play a note on the string that corresponds to the MIDI channel of the string I play.

I've tried going to Settings/MIDI and clicking MIDI Guitar since I've seen other slightly related forum posts suggest that, but it hasn't helped. In fact if I click MIDI Guitar the only Ample Guitar note that respond are notes that exist on the first string. If MIDI Guitar is unclicked all the notes play just not on the correct string.

Please advise what settings are required.

Thanks for your response.

same problem.did you solved it?

I just spent the day trying different configurations to get this to work the best I could in Studio One. My use case is to make it easier for me to add notes to the piano roll in Studio One while writing songs. This is what I did:
1) Configured Studio One according to: https://jamstik.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 0044970771. This video was specifically helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5xvLny02EM.
2) In Jamstik Creator, turn OFF String Envelope Send. This is useful for VIs with vey long sustains if you want the note decay to follow the natural decay of a struck guitar string. But we're using these with guitar VIs and they have their own note decays. So we can turn that off
3) Also in Jamstik Controller, change the MIDI Configuration Settings to Single Channel (aka Compatibility Mode). Otherwise, bends won't be detected. This is due to Studio One's limitations.
4) Jamstik claims enabling Transcription mode is useful during recording to get more note accuracy at the expense of latency and loss of hammer-on/pull-off detection. I have not tried this but it could be useful if you get too many extraneous notes that need to be deleted. But I found the latency to be too long and turned it off.
5) Since Studio One doesn't yet fully implement MPE (https://jamstik.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 0058454012), all of the "per-string" functionality is lost. So, in the Amplesound's VI settings there's no need to enable MIDI guitar nor change the MIDI channels to 2 thru 7. In fact, if you do you'll run into problems. For me, the Note Off was never triggered.

The result is workable for me. Yes, Amplesound can still jump around the fingerboard sometimes, but these "capo changes" are not recorded to the piano roll. They play back just fine. Bends and vibrato is captured. Slides show up as discrete notes moving from the beginning to the end. These may need to be edited into "real slides". Hammer-sons & Pull-offs are often captured correctly. Otherwise, they show up as discrete notes and need to be edited. Fret position is lost and will need to be manually added back in. However, this still saves me time since the note pitch, note duration, and note dynamics are all captured.

Return to “Ample Sound”