Changin from win10 to win 7

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
2023 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:13 am

Hiy my friends.

I have win 10 installed on an older laptop.
I want to change this to win 7 again, without formating the whole HD and installing it fresh.

How could this be done?

Anybody who knows how to do this.

Cheers
classic

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 am

Did you upgrade the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10? If you didn't, there's no way to go back without a new/fresh install.

Note, if you really intend to do that, that Windows 7 is not supported anymore. Which means that you don't get any more Windpws updates, less and less software will support the OS, there won't be any drivers for new devices you buy etc. I consider this a very bad idea, but, it's your choice, of course.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
2182 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 am

Windows 7 is solid audio OS and it's still highly supported by software and hardware vendors, it's becoming more iconic OS than XP and better supported than something like El Capitan, not mentioning Snow Leopard which was released in same time, if it's your audio machine, than use it like that, boot Linux Mint for internet and you are golden.

KVRAF
1985 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:39 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 am
Windows 7 is solid audio OS and it's still highly supported by software and hardware vendors, it's becoming more iconic OS than XP and better supported than something like El Capitan, not mentioning Snow Leopard which was released in same time, if it's your audio machine, than use it like that, boot Linux Mint for internet and you are golden.
Surprisly my Windows7 still gets updated!!

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:45 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 am
Windows 7 is solid audio OS and it's still highly supported by software and hardware vendors, it's becoming more iconic OS than XP and better supported than something like El Capitan, not mentioning Snow Leopard which was released in same time, if it's your audio machine, than use it like that, boot Linux Mint for internet and you are golden.
Neither Studio One nor Cubase support Windows 7. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
2182 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:38 am

Yeah, if my DAW wouldn’t support it, I wouldn’t too, but Bitwig and all my plugins are Win 7/8.1 supported.

Is there a thread or list with Windows 10 only DAW’s and plugins, didn’t stumbled upon much of those, in my view they take very small percentage, maybe I’m wrong...

User avatar
KVRian
826 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:15 am

Anecdote: I just helped my dad install some tax-prep software and basically, everything we encountered insisted an upgrade to win 10.
Prior to this, a bunch of other little things broken along the way. These things could be ignored, largely, albeit annoying. Ultimately though, EOL reared it's head and there was no choice but to upgrade.

What's funny though is how aggressive Win gets to force you along. Hah. I remember the early days of Push Technology (TM) and it was kinda cute then ... Now it's like a monster that will eat your computer if you don't comply.

KVRAF
3390 posts since 21 Mar, 2020 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 am

I'm on Win7 and it serves me fine. I'm happy with the software I have and besides, from what I've seen of my wife's computer, Win10 is a load of c**p! Gimmicky bloatware!!! Exciting ideas that require more ROM and RAM but don't do anything useful.
Sad about tomorrow
Sorry, but it's not my fault

KVRian
681 posts since 22 Apr, 2004 from Switzerland

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Erisian wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 am
I'm on Win7 and it serves me fine. I'm happy with the software I have and besides, from what I've seen of my wife's computer, Win10 is a load of c**p! Gimmicky bloatware!!! Exciting ideas that require more ROM and RAM but don't do anything useful.
Which can all be disabled or removed if you spent some time. Windows 10 is becoming more streamlined over time and you get more options to remove stuff you don't need.

User avatar
KVRAF
1958 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:52 pm

classic wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:13 am
Hiy my friends.

I have win 10 installed on an older laptop.
I want to change this to win 7 again, without formating the whole HD and installing it fresh.

How could this be done?

Anybody who knows how to do this.

Cheers
classic
You will have to install Win7 fresh, unfortunately. Even if you upgraded to Win10, you probably won't have the option to go back to Win7 because it's been too long.

Once you're back on Win7, keep in mind any Waves 12 plug-ins you may have won't install. Same for Melodyne 5.x and several other plug-ins that don't support Windows 7 any longer. Fairly soon, your web browser and anti-virus (if you have any on the DAW) won't be supported, either.

It might be worth looking at why you want to move from Win10 back to Win7; maybe those issues could be addressed and fixed.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators. (I'm looking for collaborators even if you don't hear something you like. I guess I just won't be hearing from you. :wink:)

KVRAF
8042 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 pm

I think it's better to buy a cheap used win7 computer ready to go, and let win 10
think it's still the emperor well clothed :wink:

User avatar
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am

I use windows 10 myself, and i can say that Win 10 and Win 7 both are great systems. No one can deny that Win 10 has much more advanced tools and structure than other systems, tools that i use all the time and without mentioning that the driver support is 1000% times better.

But of course, more stuff means more PC power needed, you can't install Win 10 on a cheapo computer from 2005 or a mid-range laptop. Win 10 is designed to work with instructions and cores from newer CPUs, also with newer GPUs, think that Win 7 has no problem with, reason for which many use it, of course is a thing of what each person wants.

And yes, Microsoft with their updates has screwed up Win 10 many times, but at least for i have no other choice, all my software is legal and 50% of it works only with Win 10, software that my dad who uses Win 7 can't use and will change to Win 10 soon

KVRAF
28088 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 pm

nucleox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am
And yes, Microsoft with their updates has screwed up Win 10 many times
I know this may sound like I'm advocating the devil again, but, did you actually have a Windows 10 update screw up your computer one time? I have 2 Windows machines, and I "administrate" another 2, and I never had a bigger issue on the updates. I'm frequenting a couple of Windows forums, and, in 99% of cases, security software is the culprit, if one of the big Windows 10 updates screws up. The issue with those is that they get more and more features, which mess deep with your system, and they can prevent Windows from updating, if they're not configured, or coded properly.

Really, I can't count the times someone said that he couldn't install a Windows update, and then, when he uninstalled and removed his great security software, all of a sudden, there wasn't an issue anymore. Or blue screens which suddenly disappeared.

It's always the same with Windows. People install a shit load of software on it, even extremely intrusive ones, and then complain that Windows is a piece of shit, because it's always messed up. Nowadays, the typical recommendation you get in Windows forums is to only use Windows firewall, and Defender software. That alone will save you a lot of trouble you get with obscure third party software.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm

chk071 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 pm
nucleox wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am
And yes, Microsoft with their updates has screwed up Win 10 many times
I know this may sound like I'm advocating the devil again, but, did you actually have a Windows 10 update screw up your computer one time? I have 2 Windows machines, and I "administrate" another 2, and I never had a bigger issue on the updates. I'm frequenting a couple of Windows forums, and, in 99% of cases, security software is the culprit, if one of the big Windows 10 updates screws up. The issue with those is that they get more and more features, which mess deep with your system, and they can prevent Windows from updating, if they're not configured, or coded properly.

Really, I can't count the times someone said that he couldn't install a Windows update, and then, when he uninstalled and removed his great security software, all of a sudden, there wasn't an issue anymore. Or blue screens which suddenly disappeared.

It's always the same with Windows. People install a shit load of software on it, even extremely intrusive ones, and then complain that Windows is a piece of shit, because it's always messed up. Nowadays, the typical recommendation you get in Windows forums is to only use Windows firewall, and Defender software. That alone will save you a lot of trouble you get with obscure third party software.
Nope, since the last damaged update, there's been like 8 updates and everything has been working better than ever, my pc speeded up like 60%. That's true, what you are saying is the everyday life for Win 10 users but at least for me, I'm a technician and work with PCs for studios and well, i can fix and get my systems back on feet totally fine, and I've helped a lot of people to do the same.

Almost all the times, what makes the updates fail, is that the system is installed incorrectly and has things misconfigured and of course, that kills every software, so if you haven't experienced any bigger issue is because you know how to install windows and get it configured properly.

Exactly, they crash the car with a wall and complain to the manufacturer that the car is bad. yeaaaaaaaaa Microsoft Defender has been my best friend since i have Win 10

KVRer
25 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:13 pm

WIndows 7 is getting creakier and harder to defend all the time.

And yet Windows 10 has shit features like “Can Not Actually Turn off realtime scanning, you can just pause it for a while” and “Can not turn updates off indefinitely, or prevent updates from bricking your machine”.

Actual fact: Both are trash. Get a mac.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”