Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

EVERY emulation needs to have a perfection mode, then an optional usage button to enable modern enhancements that simply weren't realistically possibly at the time of the hardware production, like 32 voices, built in effects, maybe a mod matrix and other cool schlitz.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am
seangm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:35 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:27 pm
mholloway wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:19 pm
jksound wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:16 pm model 84 has no arp ?
Correct. The Juno-106 (which it's an emulation of) also had no arp. Juno-60 had one, but 106 dropped it.
Well, that doesn't mean their emulation couldn't add one ;) They did add the slide-out panel with stuff the 106 didn't have...like response to velocity and aftertouch.
They could have given it more than the original 6 voice limit also but they kept it "painfully true" to the original. I like the synth but I don't see the reason to keep the limitations of the original synth in this day and age. Same with the mono Model 82 which has no option for polyphony.
The voicing limitations of a synth have an impact on how they sound, ultimately. If I were to decide to use my minimoog on a track it would because, among other things, I intend to utilize its mono nature. Similarily, the voice limitation of the 106 can have an impact on how its played and sounds. Softube seems to have intended these to be accurate emulations and so maintaining these condtraints and limitations is ok with me. In fact, I prefer it. It's great to have some emulations that are that accurate... along with others that are not, for when the desire hits.
Except that Model 84 has velocity and aftertouch support as options which most definitely affects how it plays and sounds. ANY of these things could be added as options while maintaining accuracy.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am
seangm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:35 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:27 pm
mholloway wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:19 pm
jksound wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:16 pm model 84 has no arp ?
Correct. The Juno-106 (which it's an emulation of) also had no arp. Juno-60 had one, but 106 dropped it.
Well, that doesn't mean their emulation couldn't add one ;) They did add the slide-out panel with stuff the 106 didn't have...like response to velocity and aftertouch.
They could have given it more than the original 6 voice limit also but they kept it "painfully true" to the original. I like the synth but I don't see the reason to keep the limitations of the original synth in this day and age. Same with the mono Model 82 which has no option for polyphony.
The voicing limitations of a synth have an impact on how they sound, ultimately. If I were to decide to use my minimoog on a track it would because, among other things, I intend to utilize its mono nature. Similarily, the voice limitation of the 106 can have an impact on how its played and sounds. Softube seems to have intended these to be accurate emulations and so maintaining these condtraints and limitations is ok with me. In fact, I prefer it. It's great to have some emulations that are that accurate... along with others that are not, for when the desire hits.
That's fine, but they can at least give an option to turn off the original limitations for people who don't want those restrictions (leave the default as the original limitations and have global settings to turn those off if someone wants to). They have it hardwired to be like the original with no flexibility for people who might not want to play it like the original. It constrains creativity to force people into a box like that IMHO.

A pristine looking GUI option would be cool, I hate that yellowed key, lol.

When I tested the Model 84 plug-in, I really liked that it sounded like a 40 year old Juno, complete with 4 decades of mild circuit deterioration. It gives you more of a 'vintage' sound.

However, I still tend to use the Roland ACB Junos, as they sound like they just rolled off the production line in 1984. Although I get that they may sound too clean for some users. It's nice to have options!

Do Softube emulations include something like Diva's Variance that makes every new note is a little different (basically round robins)?

J Veronica wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:33 pm A pristine looking GUI option would be cool, I hate that yellowed key, lol.
I know what you mean, but at least the keyboard can be hidden.

Consona wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:19 pm Do Softube emulations include something like Diva's Variance that makes every new note is a little different (basically round robins)?
They do, but it's hard baked.. IE nothing exposed to the end user except for a unison spread control in Model 84's case. Diva offers significantly more control.

PAK wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:59 am
Consona wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:19 pm Do Softube emulations include something like Diva's Variance that makes every new note is a little different (basically round robins)?
They do, but it's hard baked.. IE nothing exposed to the end user except for a unison spread control in Model 84's case. Diva offers significantly more control.
... But also does a significantly worse emulation of the 106. I'll take the Softube.

Well, that and I sold off Diva because I never used it anymore.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm
... But also does a significantly worse emulation of the 106. I'll take the Softube.

Diva's Juno model is based on the Juno 60, not the 106. Hive 2 is surprisingly better at emulating the Juno 106 sound (except for the chorus) thanks to its dirty filter mode.

Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:18 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm

Diva's Juno model is based on the Juno 60, not the 106.
Yes, but people seem to like to think it can emulate any subtractive synth.

J Veronica wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:33 pm A pristine looking GUI option would be cool, I hate that yellowed key, lol.

When I tested the Model 84 plug-in, I really liked that it sounded like a 40 year old Juno, complete with 4 decades of mild circuit deterioration. It gives you more of a 'vintage' sound.

However, I still tend to use the Roland ACB Junos, as they sound like they just rolled off the production line in 1984. Although I get that they may sound too clean for some users. It's nice to have options!
Softube are quiet pedantic with their emulations : no « extra options » and space waster GUI for the sake of « authenticity ». I think u-he with Repro, TAL and NI with Monark are much more though of « replikas »

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm ... But also does a significantly worse emulation of the 106.
Ok. The question was about variance. Diva doesn't emulate the 106, and isn't the best choice for this. That it might cover some is partly about flexibility, but is more about the similarities between certain Roland hardware..
people seem to like to think it can emulate any subtractive synth.
A "wide range" is not any. Subtractive synthesis is samey to a degree. Create a synth which models multiple components well, provides ways to vary oscillator waveshapes, adds semi-modular routing, and guess what? It's likely to be able to cover many different things. It's not specifically about Diva.. ;)

If you prefer prebaked emulations Diva doesn't invalidate your preference. They can incorporate specific parameter ranges and response curves. Meaning, in moving the controls, they should behave / sound more like the original hardware. So, even if Diva adds more DCO modes and a Juno chorus, there'd still be advantages in using a dedicated 106 emulation..

Diva will, however, cover the SH-101 and (more obviously) the Minimoog to a greater degree, than it does the 106. In the end use what you prefer. The only reason one might care, overall, is because it's perhaps a bit depressing that whilst emulation quality has risen, it mostly hasn't moved on signficantly from what Diva was doing over a decade ago..

Would it be worth it to get Softube Modular if I just want use the standard modules they include plus the Model 84 modules? They're having a sale now and it's $49.

Examigan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:02 pm Would it be worth it to get Softube Modular if I just want use the standard modules they include plus the Model 84 modules? They're having a sale now and it's $49.
Yes.
It's soooo good

Examigan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:02 pm They're having a sale now and it's $49.
Modular is nearly always at $49 :D

Return to “Instruments”