One Synth Challenge #147: Any Full Bucket Music Synth Challenge (schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice to see another FB round.
For fullbucket plugins, i use this VST manager to keep everything up to date. Saves a lot of manual installation hassle.
https://github.com/sdunnemucklow/VSTManager
Hope someone finds it useful :)

Aro wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:26 am I'm thinking about participating this month, but I might be tight on time. Just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a synth that wasn't too difficult to learn, but with solid sound possibilities. Thanks!
The simplest, perhaps, will be MPS and Kern. Also consider Ragnarök - you can make decent sounds very clearly with it. If you love emulators and are friends with their architecture, then Nabla, Stigma, Mono/Fury or Tricent. Many of them have already received their own month in OSC, so you can listen to their features, if you are inspired by it! It is best to download a few and play around with them a little, maybe some of them will just like the sound or ease of configuration. Full Bucket's synths really sound different! :phones: You can also find a lot of presets on KVR for many of them, to save time on making them yourself (you said you wouldn't have much time? I spend the lion's share of the time to create presets from init!).
Hey, Aro, I liked your previous track and your ideas, but you rarely come here! Just make something small and beautiful and get your little piece of experience, feedback and good mood, especially when there is such a large selection of synths! :tu:
If you want to know, with SinMad I made a track in 9 hours (yes, it's not super cool, rather it's Wags submission :hihi: ) on the same principle - it's better to do something than nothing! Each completed track is a brick in the foundation for the next one, allowing you to move higher and higher; it's worth it, I think!
Good luck and presence of mind! :hug:

Double Tap wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am I take it that I shouldn't read too much into "You may use any ONE Full Bucket Music analog OSC friendly synthesizer."

Unless there are some Full Bucket synths that are not OSC friendly?
By the way, I was also a little confused by this wording. Do we have all Full Bucket's synths, or all but ...?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

@IV! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm a bit shy about sharing, but I know I'll only get better if I expose myself and take in the helpful criticism. OSC is a great resource for learning, and I'll try to make it more a priority this month. Lots of talented people here!

Aro wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:35 pm @IV! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm a bit shy about sharing, but I know I'll only get better if I expose myself and take in the helpful criticism. OSC is a great resource for learning, and I'll try to make it more a priority this month. Lots of talented people here!
I understand! I literally feel physically bad when I send a track, knowing that it's not as good as I would like, but at the moment I'm not able to make it better. And here even reviews are of secondary importance... First of all, you go through these experiences that you would not have been able to get if you had not sent the track, and these experiences change you greatly, making subsequent submission easier! If we consider it from a psychological point of view, it almost does not matter what the track itself will be)
P.S. My first two were terrible and deservedly were in the last places :D
P. P. S Oh yes, I'm sorry if I wrote garbage and it doesn't apply to you in any way! Damned know-it-all complex, I guess...

Hi folks,
I just joined because I've been watching/listening to the One Synth Challenge for a little while but never entered. I think this month is the time for me to enter, but I just have a few clarifying questions. I've read all the rules but I just wanted to ask:

- In terms of free effects can I use any free effects or just the ones on the list? One of my favourites is Filterstep from Audio Modern - is that ok to use or are its modulating/rhythmic effects a no?
- Also can we use MIDI arp tools like DustArp 32 (I think yes but I just want to clarify)...? :)
- I notice that we can use commercial effects this month - would that include things like Objeq Delay?

Also I note the rules state no Live recording (vocals, guitar, instruments etc) - does this include live recording of MIDI notes and automations in the DAW?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been covered 100 times before, but just want to clarify so I know exactly where I'm at before I begin :D

Bruce

[Edit: removed Filterstep link as I see the KVR link is auto-picked up. I didn't know that! :D ]
Bandcamp: brucerimell.bandcamp.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/bruce-rimell
Visual Art: www.biroz.net

brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm I just joined because I've been watching/listening to the One Synth Challenge for a little while but never entered.
Welcome !
brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm - In terms of free effects can I use any free effects or just the ones on the list? One of my favourites is Filterstep from Audio Modern - is that ok to use or are its modulating/rhythmic effects a no?
Any that fit the rules and do not make sounds "unrecognizable as being from the synth."
brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm - Also can we use MIDI arp tools like DustArp 32 (I think yes but I just want to clarify)...? :)
Most certainly, as stated by the rules: "Midi plugins are allowed."
brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm - I notice that we can use commercial effects this month - would that include things like Objeq Delay?
That would depend on how one were to use Objeq Delay. Again, it should not make sounds "unrecognizable as being from the synth."
brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm Also I note the rules state no Live recording (vocals, guitar, instruments etc) - does this include live recording of MIDI notes and automations in the DAW?
Absolutely not !

Hi, Brucerimell! :party:
Not allowed modulating effects that radically change the sound are (what types of effects are specified in the rules), this also applies to paid effects. The essence of the rule is that in the end we still hear the sound of the synthesizer - "Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth".
The effects presented in the list are, let's say, examples of what is allowed; any other effect that satisfies all the rules is also allowed.
Not sure about Filterstep, let someone more experienced answer.
MIDI Arps as well as the TranceGate Effects are usually allowed.
Live recording and MIDI automation are allowed, I do it myself all the time)

I've reloaded the page several times to make sure no one has responded yet! :x :bang: :dog:
Yes, ELEX, let's answer simultaneously!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:

Wow, a moment of being digitally invisible ? Who'd have thought that's still possible in this day and age ? :lol: :hug:

i haven't tried filterstep yet but it looks intriguing, thank you for bringing it to my attention! :D

as far as i can tell it's just an external filter controlled by a sequencer, right? i'd be surprised if that counted as modulation, at least as long as you don't let it add too much resonance.

wrt to "live" recording ... you are NOT allowed to use any audio except that generated by the synth.

Also, you are not allowed to say "make a kick" and save that as audio, and then cut and paste that audio clip to create your kick track!

You can freeze a COMPLETE track to audio in order to save cpu cycles. The keyword is "complete", not part of a track. If you need to edit the frozen track, you must "unfreeze" and edit the midi.

As others have said, modulating effects should be used in moderation and not alter the characteristic sound of the synth too much. e.g. heavy chorus/flanging/distortion - unless it's already part of the synth and that is completely fair game.

Hope this helps

dB

What I wrote below is wrong--disregard:

Also, if something was free at one point but is not free now, I believe one is not to use it in the competition. So, Objeq Delay is likely not allowed.
Last edited by Dirtgrain on Sun May 02, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:21 pm Also, if something was free at one point but is not free now, I believe one is not to use it in the competition. So, Objeq Delay is likely not allowed.
Normally, yes. Check the top of the OP, though. Commercial plugins are allowed for this month.

Edit: That said, I'm not 100% sure this shouldn't be categorized with things like pitching delays that aren't allowed at all. But I'd be very temped to use it at low mix levels to impart a little extra body to a sound if it is allowed.
Last edited by FrogsInPants on Sun May 02, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:21 pm Also, if something was free at one point but is not free now, I believe one is not to use it in the competition. So, Objeq Delay is likely not allowed.
Objeq Delay was put forward due to the fact that commercial effects are allowed this month. By the way, take that into consideration too! :wink:

Return to “Instruments”