Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

If I could only keep one synth Omnisphere would be it. Partly because of all the good third party libraries but also an amazing sounding synth.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:08 am
Leo1999 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:56 am I forgot where I read it, but someone might know, will Omnisphere 3 be released in March or April 2023?
In the past there have been zero leaks on upcoming Spectrasonics releases, and I don't see that changing. I strongly suspect whatever you read was someone talking nonsense.

I'd be surprised if we saw an Omnisphere 3 in the next few years, but who knows.
Not unlikely considering Omnisphere 2 (2015) was released 7 years after Omnisphere 1 (2008). Omnisphere 3 is due (was in 2022), but nothing can be predicted with Spectrasonics of course. Would watch out for April month end.

ATS wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:09 am If I could only keep one synth Omnisphere would be it. Partly because of all the good third party libraries but also an amazing sounding synth.
Yes especially after 2.x where they added the hardware VA oscs and the filter routing, some amazing sounds made just by using the VA's!
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am Not unlikely considering Omnisphere 2 (2015) was released 7 years after Omnisphere 1 (2008). Omnisphere 3 is due (was in 2022), but nothing can be predicted with Spectrasonics of course. Would watch out for April month end.
That's probably what the original source was working on. IMO basic maths / trends don't apply to Spectrasonics, they are a total law unto themselves. I still think there won't be an Omni 3 either at all or not for many years - there's just no need.

I reckon we'll see new Extensions within the next 12 months or so. Stylus RMX replacement is planned for 2061, which is sadly just 2 years after the apocalypse in 2059.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I like a lot of things about Omnisphere, but the wonky UI definitely isn't one of them. I'm spoiled by the drag/drop/popup control modulation assignment systems that PhasePlant and Vital have implemented. Also don't need effects to look like hardware rack gear.

If Omnisphere updated this to operate more like modern soft synths, I would probably be tempted to reinstall it.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:04 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am Not unlikely considering Omnisphere 2 (2015) was released 7 years after Omnisphere 1 (2008). Omnisphere 3 is due (was in 2022), but nothing can be predicted with Spectrasonics of course. Would watch out for April month end.
That's probably what the original source was working on. IMO basic maths / trends don't apply to Spectrasonics, they are a total law unto themselves. I still think there won't be an Omni 3 either at all or not for many years - there's just no need.

I reckon we'll see new Extensions within the next 12 months or so. Stylus RMX replacement is planned for 2061, which is sadly just 2 years after the apocalypse in 2059.
I would love to see a Stylus RMX replacement before Omnisphere 3 and curious about new Sonic Extensions of course.

Finally sold my copy after several months of trying. Relief, as that was collecting a lot of virtual dust through disuse. Lots of hard drive space freed up, too!

The person that sold theirs for $200 or whatever here on KVR didn't help any, but I got my full asking price in the end.

I'd love to see Omni 3 and RMX 2 be the same product. Some 3rd party devs have already made drum stuff for Omnisphere. Actually, I'd love for whatever is next from Spectrasonics in the rhythm department to not use loops. Or maybe a better combination of loops and samples. Ditch recycle format for sure though.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm I'd love to see Omni 3 and RMX 2 be the same product. Some 3rd party devs have already made drum stuff for Omnisphere. Actually, I'd love for whatever is next from Spectrasonics in the rhythm department to not use loops. Or maybe a better combination of loops and samples. Ditch recycle format for sure though.
I definitely want them separate. I want Stylus 2 (for want of a better word) to have samples, generators AND loops. I want to swap kit parts in loops. I want AI. I want a sonic map. I want a pattern generator and editor. I want it intuitive. I want EVERYTHING.

Except realistic multsampled acoustic drums kits, they’re a different animal and there’s several great options out there. EDIT - but I’ve always felt the ultimate beats machine is yet to be released.

I still use the Stylus loops a lot, usually heavily modified. I just like using a loop as a starting point, it’s a really good way of working and you get totally different results doing it that way.

But I don’t want all that in Omni. Think of the tabs. It would be tabaggedon.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:04 pm
Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm I'd love to see Omni 3 and RMX 2 be the same product. Some 3rd party devs have already made drum stuff for Omnisphere. Actually, I'd love for whatever is next from Spectrasonics in the rhythm department to not use loops. Or maybe a better combination of loops and samples. Ditch recycle format for sure though.
I definitely want them separate. I want Stylus 2 (for want of a better word) to have samples, generators AND loops. I want to swap kit parts in loops. I want AI. I want a sonic map. I want a pattern generator and editor. I want it intuitive. I want EVERYTHING.

Except realistic multsampled acoustic drums kits, they’re a different animal and there’s several great options out there. EDIT - but I’ve always felt the ultimate beats machine is yet to be released.

I still use the Stylus loops a lot, usually heavily modified. I just like using a loop as a starting point, it’s a really good way of working and you get totally different results doing it that way.

tabaggedon is now officially the 2023 kvr word of the year :clap:

congratulations :)

I'm with you. I want everything, too! Any groove with any sound(s). EZD meets Geist meets Atlas.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:53 pm Finally sold my copy after several months of trying. Relief, as that was collecting a lot of virtual dust through disuse. Lots of hard drive space freed up, too!

The person that sold theirs for $200 or whatever here on KVR didn't help any, but I got my full asking price in the end.
May I asked for how much you sold it??
I have the same problem here with virtual dust... 8)

Trancit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:53 pm Finally sold my copy after several months of trying. Relief, as that was collecting a lot of virtual dust through disuse. Lots of hard drive space freed up, too!

May I asked for how much you sold it??
I have the same problem here with virtual dust... 8)
Sure, I always list what I sell things for to help others trying to sell. I sold it for $365, which is still a great price considering fees. Just not a steal.

Spectrasonics was fantastic to work with.

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:07 pm
tabaggedon is now officially the 2023 kvr word of the year :clap:

congratulations :)
You can run them down the side, just like Cyclone 74 did with icons, such a great idea. rotationaltabaggedon.

Omnisphere is one of those very rare desert island type of synths. Cannot name many of them.

Return to “Instruments”