Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

One of the many reasons Spectrasonics products are always worth it, meaningful free updates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-AMjFS0kVY

trackbout wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:17 pm One of the many reasons Spectrasonics products are always worth it, meaningful free updates.
If only their updates came with the ability to play like that :)

...please wait, downloading talent...

haha, lol

Omnisphere is a beautiful synth on so many levels. It does just about everything with class and style and above of all - massive functionality from the sound design viewpoint :)

Just released another bank today for it in fact.

Check it out :)

https://youtu.be/-bM0z53E9XI
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

bmanic wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm No, Avenger just has way higher quality filters/effects etc. All of their processing takes a lot more CPU cycles than Omnisphere. I suspect it has to do with the age of the plugin too.. thus everything in Omnisphere is rather light on CPU.

If you have a monster computer then Avenger is definitely the "higher quality" system of these two. However, the Omnisphere sample library is vastly superior. It's so much beyond anything else on the market that it's completely it's own thing. Omnisphere is the only software synth, in my opinion, that truly feels just like the Roland/Yamaha/Korg workstations of yesteryear. 4 oscillators, HUGE immediately usable and awesome sounding sample "rom" content. Very easy to just get things going and sounding huge with virtually zero effort.
What are you talking about? Omnisphere's filters sound light years better than the filters in Avenger. I own both synths and there is just no comparison.

You also haven't been paying attention to the huge assortment of DSP and wavetable oscillators in Omnisphere. Sure, you can use Omnisphere as a four partial sample-based "ROMpler." But you can also use it as a virtual analog and wavetable synth. It's far more flexible and powerful than you are making it out to be.

Omnisphere GUI is one of the worst, so many tabs, so much wasted space. It is my nightmare GUI-
dedication to flying

trackbout wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:17 pm One of the many reasons Spectrasonics products are always worth it, meaningful free updates.
Not gonna lie, I'm not spending the money for it, but, that's a nice sounding piano. I'm a sucker for an ambient piano like that.

rod_zero wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 am Omnisphere GUI is one of the worst, so many tabs, so much wasted space. It is my nightmare GUI-
Once again, what are you talking about? Omnisphere's UI is clean and simple and as a result stands out in sea of hyper cluttered crap. For instance, Avenger has probably the worst UI of any synth plugin. It's so cramped as to be almost unusable. THAT is a nightmare UI.

Avenger's UI may be cramped, but it's extremely intuitive and easy to dial in what you want fast, At least for me.

both omni and aveger has good gui.

Gui of Avenger is formidable regarding
the fact that the synth offers tons of features.

rod_zero wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 am Omnisphere GUI is one of the worst, so many tabs, so much wasted space. It is my nightmare GUI-
I absolutely agree with you and have posted thusly in the past about the 1998 style Gui. I have also gotten the immediate disagreement from some.

Just a case of different strokes for different folks I guess.

I love the gui - personally. It's fine as is.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:12 am
bmanic wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm No, Avenger just has way higher quality filters/effects etc. All of their processing takes a lot more CPU cycles than Omnisphere. I suspect it has to do with the age of the plugin too.. thus everything in Omnisphere is rather light on CPU.

If you have a monster computer then Avenger is definitely the "higher quality" system of these two. However, the Omnisphere sample library is vastly superior. It's so much beyond anything else on the market that it's completely it's own thing. Omnisphere is the only software synth, in my opinion, that truly feels just like the Roland/Yamaha/Korg workstations of yesteryear. 4 oscillators, HUGE immediately usable and awesome sounding sample "rom" content. Very easy to just get things going and sounding huge with virtually zero effort.
What are you talking about? Omnisphere's filters sound light years better than the filters in Avenger. I own both synths and there is just no comparison.

You also haven't been paying attention to the huge assortment of DSP and wavetable oscillators in Omnisphere. Sure, you can use Omnisphere as a four partial sample-based "ROMpler." But you can also use it as a virtual analog and wavetable synth. It's far more flexible and powerful than you are making it out to be.
:dog: :dog: :dog:

:lol: :lol: :lol: [troll alert!!! Another new user since march 2023, can we figure out who it is again?] :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

First of all, I have both also, and I highly disagree. The filters are far better in Avenger than in Omnisphere. But this preference is 100% subjective of course.

Just look at what else I wrote about Omnisphere earlier in this thread, you obviously didn't.

I'm pretty sure when it comes to synthesizers in general I have vastly more experience in programming them than you. I know both Avenger and Omnisphere inside and out (.. and 30+ others.. with 35+ years of programming even the most complex of beasts). Yeah, I'm going to draw _that_ card. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the technicalities.

Still, liking a filter is 100% subjective as already stated earlier. Fine, if you think Omnisphere has "lightyears better filters than Avenger", good for you. I'm pretty sure the vast majority would disagree with you.

Funny how you also seem to think that I dislike Omnisphere somehow. You clearly haven't read my previous posts.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

idoru97214 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:29 pm I absolutely agree with you and have posted thusly in the past about the 1998 style Gui. I have also gotten the immediate disagreement from some.

Just a case of different strokes for different folks I guess.
Indeed it is different strokes. I do like the immediacy of Avenger's gui, but it's a little deceptive once you get into it. It has to have tabs everywhere and I have found that confusing at times. It gives the impression of everything being on a single page though it isn't. It's also HUGE if you want to read anything on the controls.

The thing about Omni's gui is that it's consistent and elegant - very uncluttered, almost minimalist. It's the opposite of trying to squeeze everything on a single page, and that's more than valid. The modulation system is well thought through, you don't need to see everything on a single page to route something - it's all there on the right mouse click. I don't see in what world how all that makes the gui 1998.

I do REALLY like the front page controls of the Sonic Extensions too. Each patch is like a bespoke synth begging to be tweaked, very clearly laid out and very musical.

So though I can see the plusses of Avenger's approach, of the two I find Omni superior.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”