Help with PC purchase for Adam Szabo Viper synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MAC user taking a plunge into Windows world. I used to own a Ti 61 and Ti Polar but with Access seeming to no longer support the Virus' future development. I am buying a PC with Viper and a VST host as a " synth dedicated module".
Anyone care to share their PC setups and what performance they are getting with multiple instances of Viper.

Would an Intel i3 with 8gb RAM and 128GB SSD be robust enough ? I am trying to stay under $500.00. Also anyone using AMD chips vs Intel Chips?

I am currently looking at the these options :

https://www.newegg.com/intel-bxnuc10i3f ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tigerdirect.com/application ... 190a82b82d

Thanks !

So you will use PC networked with your Mac via AudioGridder and the likes?

That thing on newegg is complete waste of money tho.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 pm So you will use PC networked with your Mac via AudioGridder and the likes?

No networking.
The PC will be a standalone "synth" hosting Viper connected to dedicated audio interface with midi.
All recording of midi data will be done on my main computer Logic Pro will send midi to Viper and the PC's outputs will be connected to my main interface.

Viper isn't really the most CPU intensive plugin in the world, so, it should run pretty well on anything really.

That said, for your $500, you already get a decent i5. And if you want to aim for a desktop computer, you get even more bang for the buck, compared to a laptop.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:31 pm Viper isn't really the most CPU intensive plugin in the world, so, it should run pretty well on anything really.

That said, for your $500, you already get a decent i5. And if you want to aim for a desktop computer, you get even more bang for the buck, compared to a laptop.
Adam said the same thing but I like to work with "numbers" a baseline to judge what my usage might be. How many instances or voices (max) have you been able to get out of Viper ? What is your system ?

Thanks !

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 pm So you will use PC networked with your Mac via AudioGridder and the likes?

What are you using ? what's the max number of voices per instance of Viper have you gotten ?

Thanks

joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:28 pm

No networking.
The PC will be a standalone "synth" hosting Viper connected to dedicated audio interface with midi.
All recording of midi data will be done on my main computer Logic Pro will send midi to Viper and the PC's outputs will be connected to my main interface.
But you will still use that PC with dedicated screen to actually tweak the Viper right? If so, isn't easier to just use AudioGridder on that PC?

You will need one audio interface less, you can install something like TeamViewer on that PC that will start on login and than you can control PC and Viper through your Mac entirely. Awesome thing with AudioGridder is that you will get whole Viper interface loaded in Logic to tweak it right there, host automation, that's huge thing IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NpZnEaPuvc

joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:53 pm

What are you using ? what's the max number of voices per instance of Viper have you gotten ?

Thanks
I'm not using Viper, you can buy second hand retired corporate HP/Dell/Lenovo machines that will outperform that i3 thing by a big shot for 250 bucks and less, something that have i7-4790/i7-6700 and so on, those are still great machines for audio, don't take much space so you can shove them somewhere out of the way, HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Mini and the likes.

joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:52 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:31 pm Viper isn't really the most CPU intensive plugin in the world, so, it should run pretty well on anything really.

Adam said the same thing but I like to work with "numbers" a baseline to judge what my usage might be. How many instances or voices (max) have you been able to get out of Viper ? What is your system ?

Thanks !
It really highly depends on the kind of patch you're playing. So, anything I'd tell you would pretty much be useless for you, because I have no idea what kinds of sounds you use for your music.

I can only say that Viper isn't very demanding. Same class as Sylenth1, more or less, I would say.

Thanks ! I was also looking at refurbs on Amazon and Newegg will look for the HP Elite series
Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:56 pm
joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks
I'm not using Viper, you can buy second hand retired corporate HP/Dell/Lenovo machines that will outperform that i3 thing by a big shot for 250 bucks and less, something that have i7-4790/i7-6700 and so on, those are still great machines for audio, don't take much space so you can shove them somewhere out of the way, HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Mini and the likes.

joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:20 pm Thanks ! I was also looking at refurbs on Amazon and Newegg will look for the HP Elite series
They are asking too much for them most of the times, see local listings, there must be someone doing same thing for much less, don't overpay it.

For around 100-150 you should be able to find something like HP 8300 sff with i7 3770, than from 150-200 you should be able to get something like HP 800 G1 sff with i7 4790, than starting from 200-250 something like HP 800 G2 with i7 6700.

All these machines could handle plenty of instances of Viper, if you want I could stress test most demanding Viper patch on my i7 3770 machine to see what kind of performance ballpark you can expect from those machines?

Great I looked on craigslist nothing yet will check ebay.
If you can would love to hear how many instances with voices before you max out the system
Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:44 pm
joniqwest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:20 pm Thanks ! I was also looking at refurbs on Amazon and Newegg will look for the HP Elite series
They are asking too much for them most of the times, see local listings, there must be someone doing same thing for much less, don't overpay it.

For around 100-150 you should be able to find something like HP 8300 sff with i7 3770, than from 150-200 you should be able to get something like HP 800 G1 sff with i7 4790, than starting from 200-250 something like HP 800 G2 with i7 6700.

All these machines could handle plenty of instances of Viper, if you want I could stress test most demanding Viper patch on my i7 3770 machine to see what kind of performance ballpark you can expect from those machines?

If you can spend $300 or so, you should be able to find a refurb HP Z-series or Lenovo S-series with an Xeon E5, 16GB RAM and an SSD.

https://pcserverandparts.com/hp-z420-wo ... furbished/

biscuitdough wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:14 am If you can spend $300 or so, you should be able to find a refurb HP Z-series or Lenovo S-series with an Xeon E5, 16GB RAM and an SSD.

https://pcserverandparts.com/hp-z420-wo ... furbished/
This is a great deal! :tu:

Yep. :) That's why it's best to buy a desktop for that price. Good bang for the buck.

Return to “Instruments”