New Trance - Visible Horizon

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

So another shot at some Trance. Hopefully making a few small improvements as I go. As always I would welcome some feedback good or bad whether on the general feel or on the production. No expert at mixing and mastering so it is as it is :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-268039771/visible-horizon

Thanks in advance

This doesn't sound like typical trance although I can't explain why because I hardly ever listen to that genre. Personally I might de-emphasize the kick drum and give more space to the ambient sounds (although that would make it sound even less like trance). Nice track regardless. :tu:

Not bad. I think the level of the kick is pretty intense. It also sounds like there is some heavy compression going on.

Nice build section. One thing you can do at the end of the build is cut everything for a 1/4 to a 1/16th note to really emphasize that first hit when the beat drops.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Cheers both. Yes stuck a utility on the kick as someone thought it was a bit quiet after the drop, may need to rethink that one!

First 25 seconds you have to grab the listener.
The intro was not exciting enough to retain attention imho.
The arp was not enough to properly kickstart the song at 1m00.
From 1m00 - 2m00 not enough variety.
From 2m00 - 3m00 is pleasant enough, but again 1 whole minute without the needed variety can be a turn off.
You could very easily trim this down to a 3 minute song.
Hope this wasn't too discouraging, because part of it were pleasant.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 pm First 25 seconds you have to grab the listener.
The intro was not exciting enough to retain attention imho.
The arp was not enough to properly kickstart the song at 1m00.
From 1m00 - 2m00 not enough variety.
From 2m00 - 3m00 is pleasant enough, but again 1 whole minute without the needed variety can be a turn off.
You could very easily trim this down to a 3 minute song.
Hope this wasn't too discouraging, because part of it were pleasant.
No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?

Enjoyable listen overall with some interesting musical ideas in there, but...

I think that that it could be cut back in terms of time...not quite enough material in there for 5 mins+ maybe?

The is definitely some serious compression / limiting going on somewhere...makes it quite a tiring listen after a couple of minutes. I suspect that it's the dominant kick that's being heavily compressed? For me that aspect needs dialling back a little bit.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Wrigs21 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?
Variety: introduce a new element and make it the focus. Defocus an old element.
Drop out the bass for a few bars.
Drop out the kick for a few bars.
Drop out the snare for a bar or two.
Filter sounds for a couple of bars.
Study Daft Punk - the masters of variety and keeping you interested. Every few bars , something new.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:24 pm Enjoyable listen overall with some interesting musical ideas in there, but...

I think that that it could be cut back in terms of time...not quite enough material in there for 5 mins+ maybe?

The is definitely some serious compression / limiting going on somewhere...makes it quite a tiring listen after a couple of minutes. I suspect that it's the dominant kick that's being heavily compressed? For me that aspect needs dialling back a little bit.
Cheers, will re-listen. Kicks from a sample pack but did stick a utility on it very slightly after the drop. Not actually compressed much else from what I remember bar the bass

Bansaw wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:17 pm
Wrigs21 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?
Variety: introduce a new element and make it the focus. Defocus an old element.
Drop out the bass for a few bars.
Drop out the kick for a few bars.
Drop out the snare for a bar or two.
Filter sounds for a couple of bars.
Study Daft Punk - the masters of variety and keeping you interested. Every few bars , something new.
Cheers, might play with a few more effects and white noise

Return to “Music Cafe”