New Trance - Visible Horizon

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
32 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am

Hi guys

So another shot at some Trance. Hopefully making a few small improvements as I go. As always I would welcome some feedback good or bad whether on the general feel or on the production. No expert at mixing and mastering so it is as it is :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-268039771/visible-horizon

Thanks in advance

User avatar
KVRAF
5699 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 pm

This doesn't sound like typical trance although I can't explain why because I hardly ever listen to that genre. Personally I might de-emphasize the kick drum and give more space to the ambient sounds (although that would make it sound even less like trance). Nice track regardless. :tu:

User avatar
KVRist
224 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Not bad. I think the level of the kick is pretty intense. It also sounds like there is some heavy compression going on.

Nice build section. One thing you can do at the end of the build is cut everything for a 1/4 to a 1/16th note to really emphasize that first hit when the beat drops.
eassae.com
My other moniker: NAUGHT.
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 am

Cheers both. Yes stuck a utility on the kick as someone thought it was a bit quiet after the drop, may need to rethink that one!

User avatar
KVRAF
1548 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 pm

First 25 seconds you have to grab the listener.
The intro was not exciting enough to retain attention imho.
The arp was not enough to properly kickstart the song at 1m00.
From 1m00 - 2m00 not enough variety.
From 2m00 - 3m00 is pleasant enough, but again 1 whole minute without the needed variety can be a turn off.
You could very easily trim this down to a 3 minute song.
Hope this wasn't too discouraging, because part of it were pleasant.

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 am

Bansaw wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 pm
First 25 seconds you have to grab the listener.
The intro was not exciting enough to retain attention imho.
The arp was not enough to properly kickstart the song at 1m00.
From 1m00 - 2m00 not enough variety.
From 2m00 - 3m00 is pleasant enough, but again 1 whole minute without the needed variety can be a turn off.
You could very easily trim this down to a 3 minute song.
Hope this wasn't too discouraging, because part of it were pleasant.
No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?

User avatar
KVRian
1269 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:24 am

Enjoyable listen overall with some interesting musical ideas in there, but...

I think that that it could be cut back in terms of time...not quite enough material in there for 5 mins+ maybe?

The is definitely some serious compression / limiting going on somewhere...makes it quite a tiring listen after a couple of minutes. I suspect that it's the dominant kick that's being heavily compressed? For me that aspect needs dialling back a little bit.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
KVRAF
1548 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm

Wrigs21 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 am
No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?
Variety: introduce a new element and make it the focus. Defocus an old element.
Drop out the bass for a few bars.
Drop out the kick for a few bars.
Drop out the snare for a bar or two.
Filter sounds for a couple of bars.
Study Daft Punk - the masters of variety and keeping you interested. Every few bars , something new.

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:24 am
Enjoyable listen overall with some interesting musical ideas in there, but...

I think that that it could be cut back in terms of time...not quite enough material in there for 5 mins+ maybe?

The is definitely some serious compression / limiting going on somewhere...makes it quite a tiring listen after a couple of minutes. I suspect that it's the dominant kick that's being heavily compressed? For me that aspect needs dialling back a little bit.
Cheers, will re-listen. Kicks from a sample pack but did stick a utility on it very slightly after the drop. Not actually compressed much else from what I remember bar the bass

KVRist

Topic Starter

32 posts since 6 Jun, 2020

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:12 am

Bansaw wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm
Wrigs21 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:02 am
No each to their own. Working on the assumption no one will be listening from the word go as more often than not lost when mixed. When you say variety what would you suggest in terms of additions?
Variety: introduce a new element and make it the focus. Defocus an old element.
Drop out the bass for a few bars.
Drop out the kick for a few bars.
Drop out the snare for a bar or two.
Filter sounds for a couple of bars.
Study Daft Punk - the masters of variety and keeping you interested. Every few bars , something new.
Cheers, might play with a few more effects and white noise

Return to “Music Cafe”