MonsterJam - Maschine JAM controller extension

RELATED
PRODUCTS

sp00k wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 pm thank you! it works great, love it!
That's great to hear, thanks! Any detailed feedback you have will be greatly appreciated too :)

Meanwhile I'm back to making music with it, so these updates will be getting more meaningful both in terms of features and bug/QoL issues found and fixed. Feels like a proper release is not too far off.

https://github.com/unthingable/monster- ... g/v8.0-b15

Note expressions editor
* Now self-activated when steps are held, no longer need to press TUNE
* Added single row mode, control one parameter for all notes in a row (just like in Bitwig's clip editor)
* Nudging a note will shorten it if it bumps into the next note, instead of bumping the next note
* Duration adjustments are limited to a single step (so it won't clobber the next note)
* Added parameter popup notifications
Step sequencer
* Added pattern page bank selectors for accessing up to 64 pages (via SHIFT-SCENE)
* Added quick clip selector (hold STEP)
* Pattern page follow disabled when holding steps
* Previous slider mode auto-restores after expressions editor

* Fixed: step size and pattern scroll position could be set improperly when switching tracks
* Fixed: currently playing pages no longer blink for non-playing clips

https://github.com/unthingable/monster- ... g/v8.0-b16

Step sequencer fixes and improvements

* Updated color scheme for alternarting note rows: now it's the note itself that gets the color instead of the background, looks much better
* Fixed regression in quick clip selector activation, could break switching between STEP mode and clip matrix
* Fixed regression in pattern page follow while holding steps, condition was flipped
* Fixed quick clip selector colors, was showing empty scene clips as white
* Fixed SHIFT button forgetting its normal bindings in step mode

Other fixes

* Fixed SONG button indicator for superscene mode, was not lighting up
* REC+GROUP to arm multiple tracks won't trigger transport record unless you mean it (with a single short press of REC)

beautiful, thank you!

https://github.com/unthingable/monster- ... g/v8.0-b17

Step sequencer fixes and improvements

* Added "note interlace" mode and setting
* Added small delay between step press and note param activation (sliders) for less flashy sequence editing. Delay is equal to when the step press becomes long press.
* Added a setting to keep notes within their original steps when nudging
* In "Quick Clip Selector" (hold STEP), pressing an empty slot will create a new clip and select it
* When transport is playing, newly created clips will play too
* Changed alternating note colors to 8 rainbow colors, for better visual separation
* Refactored controller settings: re-add MonsterJam in your Bitwig

wow thanks for sharing!

is monterjam interested in version 5, and the new ALT clip launc | clip stop options? i am still on 4.4 . ... bitwig and moss deal with it by holding shift with one hand and launching the clip with the other. so not elegant.

sp00k wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:05 am is monterjam interested in version 5, and the new ALT clip launc | clip stop options? i am still on 4.4 . ... bitwig and moss deal with it by holding shift with one hand and launching the clip with the other. so not elegant.
It's interested, the remote cursors API is a little problematic at the moment but that shouldn't be a blocker.

If it's not holding shift, how would you envision the ALT behavior working?

I thought about implementing it quickly and also wiring both press+release actions, but that would require a significant change in how it works today. Specifically, long press "selects" the clip without performing launch actions (I sometimes find that useful), and the only way to do that is to do nothing on press except time how long the button has been down. TL;DR it's currently the button release that launches clips, not the press, and it wouldn't be possible to wire both press+release actions without losing the long press to select. Perhaps it's time to give up and just select the clips by holding SELECT.

ah yes indeed. dreaming of being able to play and press the clip buttons with both hands, instead of reserving one hand for pressing/holding alt/shift. also to be able to toggle clips between playing/paused, using the same button: press= start clip, press again: pause clip. that would be awesome

sp00k wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:59 pm ah yes indeed. dreaming of being able to play and press the clip buttons with both hands, instead of reserving one hand for pressing/holding alt/shift. also to be able to toggle clips between playing/paused, using the same button: press= start clip, press again: pause clip. that would be awesome
Press again to pause (well, stop) is already how it works.

What I meant was, if holding SHIFT is too awkward, how else would you physically execute an alt press? To give you a hint, there are only two options: either press in combination with another button, or first press another button (or button combo) to toggle "alt mode" where every pad press is an alt press.

If there were a free button it could conceivably do both (e.g. it works as a combo with pad when held down, or as a toggle when briefly pressed). I don't think there are any single unused buttons though, and it's definitely not SHIFT (it already does too much).

best practice I believe would be a toggle button, press once and then every press is an alt press, press again (untoggle) and every press becomes normal press. thanks again for monster-jam, it is a gem, monster-gem

It's beautiful but can you fix it for Bitwig 5? It's not working
PLEASE!!!

sp00k wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:46 am best practice I believe would be a toggle button, press once and then every press is an alt press, press again (untoggle) and every press becomes normal press. thanks again for monster-jam, it is a gem, monster-gem
Thanks! The question really is which button (or combo) do you think makes the most sense as a toggle, they are pretty much all used up.

fird wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:39 am It's beautiful but can you fix it for Bitwig 5? It's not working
PLEASE!!!
Thank you. Can you describe what is not working in 5?

Its ok! my bad.. :phones:

Return to “Controller Scripting”