NB01

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's taken a while, but during the winter I've been working on this in spare time and now it's getting close to something that's ready for release. I've rewritten the windowing code completely to be much more stable and I'm hopeful that this fixes a whole bunch of bugs and race conditions related to window position/size and deadlocks when opening or closing the editor.

In addition, I have made the editor scalable, controls now show the actual values when hovering and there's a built in manual if you right click in the editor.

The dsp has had minor improvements: bass response with the knob in neutral position had been improved and other parts have been optimised, giving a 15-20% reduction in cpu usage.

If anyone is interested in beta-testing before I make an official release of this, there are links for downloading below. Thanks in advance!

Links to v1.0.0 release candidate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b7n5rfvh0tii ... _win64.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/210jn0hutz9yv ... ux_x64.zip

Ooh, nice. I'll put this to the test today and report back :)

Some discoveries after a bit of testing. REAPER 6.47rc3 x64 (don't worry about the rc version, they're 99% safe for normal use), Win10 21H2 x64.

The good: window resizing works as expected, the manual is a nice touch.

The bad: sometimes when closing the plugin, both the REAPER and the plugin GUI freeze. Audio still keeps playing though, but after a while of clicking around I get the windows app hang window. Keypresses also aren't sometimes passed through, so for example starting/stopping playback with the plugin GUI open doesn't always work. I'm still trying to figure out when this works and when it doesn't.
What makes everything work though, is running the plugin as a dedicated process, like this:
This basically firewalls the plugin into its own process, separate from the main REAPER.exe. Of course that's not an ideal solution (more like a well working band-aid). So there's something about the GUI that doesn't play nice with REAPER.

I really hope you get these bugs ironed out, this is quite a unique distortion plugin :)

Oh, also worth mentioning is that there's a setting in REAPER ("modal window positioning") that can be set to center a new opened/floating plugin window on the screen. This is the only plugin I've encountered that this centering doesn't work as expected with. By the looks of it, the top left corner of the window is at the center of the screen.

Aw, snap :( I really thought I had is this time as I wasn't able to reproduce it myself anymore.
But after a good 20 minutes of flipping editor windows I did get the deadlock you describe here. Sloppy QA on my part I guess. Thanks a million for trying though. I will get this fixed once and for all someday.

And thanks for pointing out the modal window thing. Didn't know as I don't use reaper as my primary daw.

That centering option actually takes 2 steps for plugins:
1. Preferences -> General -> Advanced UI/system tweaks -> Modal window positioning -> Center on current screen
2. Preferences -> Plug-ins -> FX chain / Floating FX positioning (both set to "Modal default" which take their settings from the one above)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”