Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

can hear differences, it's too minimal to worry about

Props to them, it does sound good. But... I also stopped bothering with direct emulations at this point. Much prefer having synths with more sonic possibilities like Massive X or even TAL-Mod.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:07 pm Plugin sounds very nice but....the trouble is I get bored with these simple synths so quickly.

I don't know about you guys but my plugin folder has reached analog saturation.

But still I may pick it up. If it entertains me for a few days it's worth the price. :shrug:
I hear ya. Honestly, I only need ONE synthesizer - software or hardware - to write and record complete songs on. BUT, I have a collection that seems to focus on ressurections from the past gone by, and REALLY enjoy being able to dig out an 8 Voice, MemoryMoog, or even MG-1 to mess about with.
Having them around for musical inspiration (where I'm not about to spend $15,000 on an old, a constant repair model) is a lot of fun.

Perhaps it's because I lived through the era and have owned and played analog hardware synths that they bore me rather quickly these days. How many different ways do we need to run a saw wave through a low pass filter?

But I get the appeal to others and I understand why developers do these emulations.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:47 pm Does Unify help with an overload of VSTs?
Yes, absolutely.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm Those who don't hear any differences in the comparison video need to rinse their ears a bit. :) The OG is ballsier, more intermodulation distortions (CA's sounds too clean and more sterile, particularly in the vocal and bell-like sounds showcased)...

I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
Yea, it didn’t sound similar to me really in the comparison. Obviously similar patch on a synth with the same structure, but the tone isn’t the same to me at all. Normally a big fan of cherry audio.

PS you can DRAG this to size 166% if desired

In the Skippy video, he says the original, each oscillator had its own filter. Does Memorymode do something to match this? I don't see it on the GUI.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Good job on this, even if it's not a 1 to 1,it's definitely the Memorymoog's flavor, I can ALSO appreciate the fact the dev's know how to code emulations that actually use the proper Midi protocol and program / bank changes actually work in a plugin. That's alot more then I can say for most dev's. :tu: I'll be buying
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:18 am In the Skippy video, he says the original, each oscillator had its own filter. Does Memorymode do something to match this? I don't see it on the GUI.
Each voice in a Memorymoog has their own oscs and filters etc but the parameterts of each voice are common, meaning for example there is only one cutoff knob that control the cutoff of all the filters the same.

How does it compare to UVI’s version?

It's not sample based like UVI's option, so you can do alot more in terms of synthesis and actual modulation.

DID I Mention it actually does MIDI program changes / bank changes correctly, unlike UVI.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

wwjd wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:47 pm That comparo video totally covers it.
Hmm.. I wonder if some of these companies would do a bit better with somebody onboard with critical listening experience. I mean, it is all fine and dandy to have coders, graphics designers and preset creators but the emulation might be a bit closer if there was people really carefully listening and examining the comparisons.

At least to my ears, the differences are quite big in most of the sounds. Not just timbral differences but also in the actual envelope shapes. Am I being too picky?

I don't know what it is with these Cherry audio synthesizers but literally all of them have left me quite unimpressed in terms of emulation.. and in terms of overall sound I never liked the basic sound output of the Voltage Modular either. That is of course entirely subjective as it would be silly to use the modular for emulation only.. however whatever it outputs, I seem to have some kind of inherent dislike for the sound. It all just sounds quite flat and unexciting to my ears.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Yeah, I am somewhat with you here. I own the 8-voice SEM modulation, and I like it. It is not perfect but good bang for the bucks. I have demoed the others, and my verdict is that you get what you pay for. However, I must say that Cherry know how to price them fairly, as if they are well aware how far they really have taken them towards authenticity. And the free MG-1 Plus is a generous gift. At some settings, it can really make some original deep reso-sweepy bass tones that would fool me in any blind test.

I think the overall standard and chosen prices reveal that these devs are not overestimating themselves and demanding sky high prices for nothing like I think more than few other companies are (no names). Self-awareness and honesty rule the game, and for that they deserve all positive reinforcement, I can give.

Keep up the good style, Cherry and congrats with your new synth :tu:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 am Perhaps it's because I lived through the era and have owned and played analog hardware synths that they bore me rather quickly these days. How many different ways do we need to run a saw wave through a low pass filter?
nothing new in today's virtual synths.... same old stuff repackaged..... no matter what the synthesis type

'new sounds' = emperor's new clothes

there is nothing new

maybe you hate guitars and pianos and drums too, they are so old and boring

Return to “Instruments”