Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:09 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:51 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:45 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:35 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:19 am I’ve got a question. I couldn’t find it in the manual, but it didn’t seem like either oscillator was effecting the filter FM. I couldn’t figure out what was. What’s modulating it and how do you control that frequency?
I think the filter uses its own oscillator.
How do you control the frequency and shape?
You can't change the ratio, unfortunately.
Lame.
Tell that to Markus

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:14 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:09 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:51 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:45 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:35 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:19 am I’ve got a question. I couldn’t find it in the manual, but it didn’t seem like either oscillator was effecting the filter FM. I couldn’t figure out what was. What’s modulating it and how do you control that frequency?
I think the filter uses its own oscillator.
How do you control the frequency and shape?
You can't change the ratio, unfortunately.
Lame.
Tell that to Markus
Hey Markus, that’s lame. Implement real filter FM, like you’d find in a Prophet 5 or Model D. Thanks!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The filter does not use it's own oscillator. It is self-modulation.
The filter uses the input as the modulator signal to frequency-modulate the cutoff. FM controls the modulation depth. The oscillator itself controls the modulation frequency and shape.

You can set up a Voice Output -> FM modulation and use the oscillator section as a modulator, if I get that right.

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:47 am The filter does not use it's own oscillator. It is self-modulation.
The filter uses the input as the modulator signal to frequency-modulate the cutoff. FM controls the modulation depth. The oscillator itself controls the modulation frequency and shape.
Oh thanks! But I thought I couldn't change the frequency ratio because of how it works.
Edit: I messed around with the frequency and shape of both oscillators, and I still don't hear anything different. I think the oscillators should be modulation sources in the next update.
Last edited by Korg Supporter on Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The envelope timings seem rather different from the value readout. When I set the envelopes to max, it says 21 secs, but it actually is 1 minute. When set to 8 secs, it is about 20 secs.
Or am I measuring the wrong way?

In analog synths exponentially decaying envelopes are common. in theory they have infinite length and never really reach 0. That's why they must be measured against a threshold

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:40 pm In analog synths exponentially decaying envelopes are common. in theory they have infinite length and never really reach 0. That's why they must be measured against a threshold
So, you are using a different, higher threshold compared to other synth developers? I have not noticed such a huge difference in other synths...

With Retrologue it is even the other way round, the real values are clearly shorter than indicated by the readout :roll:

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:05 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:47 am The filter does not use it's own oscillator. It is self-modulation.
Oh thanks! But I thought I couldn't change the frequency ratio because of how it works.
Edit: I messed around with the frequency and shape of both oscillators, and I still don't hear anything different. I think the oscillators should be modulation sources in the next update.
I feel the best way to implement it when you have a mod matrix is just to have the oscillators available in the mod matrix, like Dune does.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:58 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:05 pm
I feel the best way to implement it when you have a mod matrix is just to have the oscillators available in the mod matrix, like Dune does.
As I said above, it seems to be the "Voice Output" source in the mod matrix. Modulate the FM target with it and play around with the osc section controls, seems very flexible to me.

I don't understand why you choose to update old threads for a new version. The thread was created in 2021, people clicking on the thread for the first time will think version 4 is the same version they heard about or demoed several years ago. I almost thought I was confused and version 4 must be the one I'm already using released in 2021, until I checked the thread, because there are too many versions of plugins for me to remember.

New numbered version should be a new thread to eliminate confusion.

I get your point that the creation date of the first post does not correlate with the release date of Saurus4.
On the other side people frequently necro old threads with products that are deprecated and not longer available (ElectraX v1, Electra2, etc). This creates even more confusion.

The purpose of sticking within a single thread here is to keep the forum clean and to make maintenance more easy.

kNarf_ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:11 am Saurus doesn't seem to work well with a sustain pedal, well at least with my sustain pedal... When I'm playing some notes and apply the sustain pedal, I can't play any new notes until I release the pedal. Which is not how I want to play :lol:

I don't experience this with any other synths btw. Does anyone have similar experiences and/or a solution?
Same behavior here. Works incorrectly, as you described: standalone and VST3 under two different hosts (BC Patchwork and Cubase) in Win 11. Two different controllers on two different input ports - all the same. Pedals are on/off, not continuous. There is no problem seen with dozens of other VIs in my setup.

Markus, any thoughts? This sure feels like a bug to me. Play a key, depress sustain, play the same key again and hold. Second note doesn't retrigger but first note continues. Lift sustain pedal (we still have the key held down) and sound ceases.

I did not make any changes to the Sustain Pedal since the last decade and we did not get any reports from customers. Anyway I will take a look at this.

Please do also keep in mind that Saurus is an analog-modeled synth. Analog synths have a very limited number of voices. The engine handles duplicate notes in a different way than modern synthesizers do.

Just wanted to state that Saurus is Top Notch; also my favorite 'analog modeled' synth.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Instruments”