My first ever multi-track recording!!! /// Year: 1987 /// Track: 'Mystic Sea'

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Private link only - don't really want this one public on my SC where clients can hear it ! :) :oops: :help:

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... 17REFNF2oR

Been sorting out the attic and found a whole load of cassettes that I thought had been lost forever!

My very first multitrack recording in 1987...All done in a single day because we had to return most of the equipment...absolutely no idea what I was doing really!

Not too bad a transfer from cassette, but not 100% successful...stereo is slightly weird at times amongst other issues!

EQUIPMENT: Tascam Porta 2 cassette based 4 Track // SM58 microphone // Loads of equipment borrowed from Rich Bitch Studios in Selly Oak Birmingham - drum machine, home keyboard with built in MIDI sequencer, multi-effects unit.

Those were the days - no compression unit available for this one, no 'copy and paste', no PC etc etc

NOTE: I know it was 1987 because Napalm Death were at Rich Bitch recording 'SCUM'!

Song composed by Nick Taylor
Vocals Nick Taylor

All music arranged, performed and produced by Mark Taylor
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Sounds interesting but track not found at link...

hi Mark, the track was so ancient that it was erased by itself !! :P
track not found :)
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Go to "Share" option on Soundcloud player and copy the link from there, not from browser.

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:39 pm Go to "Share" option on Soundcloud player and copy the link from there, not from browser.
Yeah - thanks...I did, but somehow didn't copy the last bit of the 'private' link :dog:

Complicated it all as I just don't want this 'vintage' piece out there for all on SC...not gonna impress modern clients :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

tomtom1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 pm hi Mark, the track was so ancient that it was erased by itself !! :P
track not found :)
Changed link at the last minute and missed a bit off the end...ALWAYS CHECK!!! Lesson learnt! :)

Should work now?

GaryG wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:06 pm Sounds interesting but track not found at link...
Had a :dog: moment...always check a last minute re-copied and pasted link! :)

Very British, indeed. Considering this was your first recording, the outcome is really great.

4 track tape recorders: I know them back from the nineties, one can do some weird stuff with that machines.

Nice historical add!

You didn't know what you were doing and you came up with this???? I hate you! If this was a single, I would have happily bought it. It's a great song and very well put together musically. You wrote that it was all done in a day, presumably with no previous conceptions. I think that sometimes produces the freshest most natural results. I did a whole album once where every Sunday afternoon, I took some beer and some naughty stimulating pinkish white powder to my room (I don't do that anymore - honestly) and I would just work on a drum machine track on its own without any idea of what I was going to lay on top of it. Once I had recorded that, I briefly concocted a bassline while listening to the drum track and recorded that over the drums. I did the same with the guitar and lead guitar and only then did I set about writing the lyrics. It was some of the liveliest, most imaginative and most enjoyable music I have ever written. Shame the recording got damaged in the end.

Spontaneity rules! Well done with this recording. :tu: :tu: :tu:

htcnext2 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm Very British, indeed. Considering this was your first recording, the outcome is really great.

4 track tape recorders: I know them back from the nineties, one can do some weird stuff with that machines.

Nice historical add!
Cheers for having a listen to this oldie! :)

'Very British' - yeah, I can hear that! :)

I loved my Tascam 4-track...weird things indeed were possible with that technology.

This is such a relic! It has an early Tears For Fears vibe to it. With a proper mixing and editing it could be a great debut single...
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Absolutely had to listen to this one. Goes to show how far you've come. Musically, it's excellent. Recording is obviously flawed but still a lot better than my early recordings where the only thing I knew how to do was pin the meter. LOL.

Good song and recording. Sounds nice
I never got as good recording as you with my tascam porta 2.

Erisian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:19 pm You didn't know what you were doing and you came up with this???? I hate you! If this was a single, I would have happily bought it. It's a great song and very well put together musically. You wrote that it was all done in a day, presumably with no previous conceptions. I think that sometimes produces the freshest most natural results. I did a whole album once where every Sunday afternoon, I took some beer and some naughty stimulating pinkish white powder to my room (I don't do that anymore - honestly) and I would just work on a drum machine track on its own without any idea of what I was going to lay on top of it. Once I had recorded that, I briefly concocted a bassline while listening to the drum track and recorded that over the drums. I did the same with the guitar and lead guitar and only then did I set about writing the lyrics. It was some of the liveliest, most imaginative and most enjoyable music I have ever written. Shame the recording got damaged in the end.

Spontaneity rules! Well done with this recording. :tu: :tu: :tu:
Thanks for the listen and positive words... If I ever get time and my brother's permission I might try and rework this one!

Yeah, just one day to learn, arrange, perform and produce it was kinda fun! My brother actually wrote the lyrics and the bare bones 'piano only' song the day before!

that is some nice oldschool music.
and your brother has a really good voice. a really nice natural voice. you could really have made a lot of it. did he pursue that way (the music) or did he do something completely different?
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”