Vexatious Permutations - after Satie

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/user-625890828/v ... rmutations

Satie's Vexations transformed by permuting the content so they never repeat.

This is a selection made from all 840 (non-repetitions) for your enjoyment.

The score including all 840 permutations is available for a small fee.

(for those who dont know Satie's original https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexations, this is a joke completely upending his joke- although funnily enough my joke has the same effect on the listener as his)

Well, for those who are into classical music or so. Nice attempt!

htcnext2 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:29 am Well, for those who are into classical music or so. Nice attempt!
there's even a bit of rubato-ing :)

No one truly knows why Satie scribbled down his original vexations, but I suspect that there was no deep meaning or intended humour to it all whatsoever. (I'm not aware of any writings that ES left regarding the piece and it was never performed during his lifetime and probably never intended for such).

Sometimes those who come afterwards (quite a few over the years in this case) interpret and over-analyse what might simply have been a composer doodling in a few spare minutes! :)

Your interpretation - it works on a structural basis, but it might've been interesting to have more slowly morphing / sudden variation in such areas as the tessitura and dynamics maybe?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:06 am Your interpretation - it works on a structural basis, but it might've been interesting to have more slowly morphing / sudden variation in such areas as the tessitura and dynamics maybe?
Thanks for listening and your thoughtful comments. I played around with the piano(s) register a bit in the ways you suggest and decided against it as too much muddying the waters, Perhaps I should have continued more with that. I did not play around with dynamics really. As always with pieces like this one can go in all sorts of directions and I decided to keep it simple and not push aspects of musicality. Perhaps that was a mistake.

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:50 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:06 am Your interpretation - it works on a structural basis, but it might've been interesting to have more slowly morphing / sudden variation in such areas as the tessitura and dynamics maybe?
Thanks for listening and your thoughtful comments. I played around with the piano(s) register a bit in the ways you suggest and decided against it as too much muddying the waters, Perhaps I should have continued more with that. I did not play around with dynamics really. As always with pieces like this one can go in all sorts of directions and I decided to keep it simple and not push aspects of musicality. Perhaps that was a mistake.
No, certainly not a mistake at all... The more minimalistic approach that you chose is perfectly valid and effective in its own way... I was just thinking out loud regarding other possibilities.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

I thought this was quite hypnotic. I think I listened 5 or 6 times. I was particularly intrigued by the sustain which was working away in the background.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 pm I thought this was quite hypnotic. I think I listened 5 or 6 times. I was particularly intrigued by the sustain which was working away in the background.

Good work :)
Thanks for all that repeated listening :) I used two instances of hammersmith piano, one tuned down an octave, plus an instance of Una Corda. On the master bus is sound particles Air, then reverberate, then Inspirata reverb with the listener at the back of the hall

Return to “Music Cafe”