IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price of 1

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
KVRist
59 posts since 13 Mar, 2015

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Rational wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm
A little public service warning in case someone didn't catch this like me.

A little rant to let off steam. Mostly my fault in hindsight, so not really completely mad at them as much as myself I guess. But definitely disappointed. I don't like complainers any more than the next guy but it feels good to get it out there at least once. Seems it's the fine print that seems to piss me off the most with these companies. Well, here goes:

So I bought AXE I/O (full version, not the solo version) and Amplitube Max 5 believing that qualified me for the group buy. Nope!

I even asked them beforehand via email and the way they worded their reply upon quick glance I didn't catch the n before or. "The AXE IO nor AmpliTube 5 MAX will qualify for the Group Buy promotion."

I read that as "The Axe I/O or Amplitube 5 Max will qualify you for the group buy promotion."

Typically in proper English we use "Neither" as well when using nor as in "Neither this nor that" to ensure the reader catches the 'n'. But their Italian and I'm the native English speaker so I guess it's on me for missing it.

(Now I understand why they only answered with that one sentence and totally didn't answer my additional questions about confirming they would honor the gb even if the device took a long time to arrive.)

I remember seeing Amplitube 5 in the qualified products so thought I was good. After all, how could I spend MORE for Max and it doesn't qualify? I was believing for sure that was not the case. And bought an interface too. Their top of the line one at that! Turns out the MAX version of Amplutube doesn't qualify. Jeesh. Can't win for lose every time I buy from IK. It's always some minor technicality. I told myself I'd never buy another GB from them (I've bought 2-3 times in the past 15 years) and always ultimately realize it's not quite the value I'm thinking it is. As the smart shopper should have only ever bought one $99 product and then TSMAX3. That's the best value and available to even new customers. Loyalty doesn't count as much as you'd believe with IK. But this GB seemed a great deal. And it is. If you're very careful.

1. This time hardware does not qualify. I'm used to it counting from past GBs. I didn't take notice.
2. Standard and Max versions are different and you cannot assume buying the more expensive version qualifies you.

So, in the end I guess it was my fault for reading their reply too quickly. Sigh.

So now I have a 15th interface on the way (eventually when the backorder is fulfilled) that I don't really need, spent an additional $300 and am still not in the GB. Fun times.

This is what I get for being too busy with work to read forum threads these days and quadruple validate fine details.

Well, I hope the AXE I/O is as great as it's marketed to be and I love it enough to make up for my mistake here. I have a ton of guitars and other gear so hopefully I'll truly love it. I will say they have improved their quality over the years and do seem to be taking input over time as well to improve how they do things. I hope all this inflow of cash leads to more improvement and longevity for the company and therefore further backs my investment. I've especially loved to see how much Peter has supported the KVR community over the years as well. I remember contacting him WAY back about a purchase and he was great even then when just starting out about 15 years or so ago?

So now I have to decide to spend yet another $112+ to still get in the GB. I'm down to $50 in jampoints left though so might be a bit more in total.

Anyway, can someone confirm if buying the gear credits and SampleTron 2 with them via the custom shop is this still a working method? I thought I saw someone saying gear credits or sampetron aren't appearing anymore? I don't have time these days to read every post of these big threads. Thanks guys.

PS, Also having Amplitube 5 Max hasn't ticked all the boxes in CS nor the IK product manager as I'd hoped. (Which is why I'd bothered to go for the interface with Max in the first place.) Not yet anyway. Even after registering the serial for A5Max. In fact it isn't showing A5Max as owned in the product manager for me at all. In CS it now shows I have the upgrade to it, yet many little pedals and amps/cabs still show unchecked. But when you click on it, it says it's already included in A5 and A5 max. I guess I have to open a ticket with them to get it all to appear.

Okay. Rant over. Moving on. Spending more again today most likely to try again to get in the GB.
If you haven't even received the shipment yet, and indeed, if they haven't even sent it yet because it is on backorder, surely you can cancel it for a full refund? How were you able to register A5 max without receiving the hardware? I picked up Arc 3 plus microphone from them and I had to wait for the hardware to arrived before I could register it. Is A5 different? Aside from all this, did you contact support? Perhaps if you cancel the hardware and get in touch with support, they will help you out? It's not at all in their interest to say 'too bad for you'.

KVRian
585 posts since 31 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

@Kindafishy, good question. They weren't forthcoming on their own in offering. And their terse one liner replies led me to believe they cared more about keeping their money than my relationship or how I felt about things. Plus I was ultimately the one making the errors and I tend to eat the cost when it's my error. In the past when it's the company not providing adequate fine print is when I get really upset and stop buying from them like I've done with Slate the last 3 years now.

To answer your question, when I clicked on the AXE I/O to see the cost it said, "Reserve your product today and receive the software now". I knew it was on backorder but when I saw that offer, impulse took over as I thought I could register Amplitube 5 Max immediately and get my group buy items as well immediately. So I thought I had my answer and their not having answered my questions was no longer needed as this was my answer. Nope.

I'd also emailed them back explaining how I misuderstood and see if they'd just review my case and apply the GB promotions considering my near 20 year purchase history with them, but no answer at all back. So I'm just going to suck it up. Again, in the end it was my mistake. Plus their site says "All sales final". So I don't necessarily feel I can ask. If they offer, that's another thing.

I'm sure they have enough customers daily that are very difficult to deal with, so I don't want to pass the line where I'm unreasonable. I'm rational after all. Or at least try to be.

KVRist
98 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Scotty wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:06 pm
I appreciate creativity and economizing but why are we trying to game something that is already an incredible value? You buy in and as of today you get 15 free products and likely a few more before it is through. If all of us turn into resellers of IK gear that would put IK in direct competition with its customers and that just won't sustain a company. They do well, we do well. It is kind of how it works with this promotion. My two bits. Likely unwelcomed but it is how I see it.
I am a quite experienced re-seller.
IKM also makes money from re-sales by charging a transfer fee.
Even though IKM's group buy is a little different from sales that almost last throughout a whole year like Waves or Plugin Alliance sales, the effect will be similar.
U won't get much for these plugins.
Just one example are PA"s console emus (or PA in general!), u can be glad if u get $20, but it might be even less and PA has even less transfer fees to pay if u use their dynamic discounts, so transfer fee could go down to 8 only! And there is always a risk at 2nd hand market, because in many cases u do not know who the seller is and his intentions!
Even if there are some similarities, there are also some important differences. IKM"s sale is an anniversary sale and they have plugins for almost every music genre and also some very good quality. Due to quantity not everything can be for everyone or top notch.
Whereas a plugin released by PA and Waves is immediately or after a short time available for sale price almost throughout a whole year, good quality hard to find at PA, though and Waves has its not very popular wup. So IKM is a pretty good choice imo, but they have too many things like authorizing plus product manager, homepage, custom shop, jam points, gear credits, content download within 180 days?!, TRacks installs all plugins?!, max or deluxe versions, a TRacks and Amplitube version, Sampletank and Syntronik and u will also find Syntronik instruments in Sampletank?!, sometimes a new release will be added for free, sometimes not, strange up- and upgrading concept?! and and. One would have to attend a 3-days course to comprehend everything about IKM! Less is more!

KVRist
337 posts since 18 Apr, 2008

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 am

Scotty wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:06 pm
I appreciate creativity and economizing but why are we trying to game something that is already an incredible value? You buy in and as of today you get 15 free products and likely a few more before it is through. If all of us turn into resellers of IK gear that would put IK in direct competition with its customers and that just won't sustain a company. They do well, we do well. It is kind of how it works with this promotion. My two bits. Likely unwelcomed but it is how I see it.
martinjuenke wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:07 pm
Well said :tu:

To me, even stranger behavior, is when people question the buying and selling of used software. In a sub form dedicated almost solely to the buying and selling of used software. This sub form is the one place where it should be OK to ask about selling unused or unneeded software, without much scrutiny.

KVRist
214 posts since 3 Jun, 2009

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:08 am

Last week I was driving past my local Ford dealer (in my 6 year old Focus) and I noticed a big sign saying "Buy a new Ford Focus and we will give free alloy wheels, aircon and Bose stereo".

I thought to myself "those alloys and Bose stereo would be nice". So I stopped, went up to the salesman and said "I drive a Ford Focus - I will take the free alloy wheels and Bose stereo".

Very rudely the salesman just laughed and walked away.

So I popped to the pub round the corner, found a bloke at a table and sold him my stereo for a fiver.

On returning to the Ford salesman I said "My Ford doesn't have a stereo anymore, I will take the Bose and you can throw in the alloy wheels as well".

Again the salesman was very rude. He laughed and walked away.

So I go back to the bloke in the pub and sell him my wheels for a tenner (seems there is a glut of wheels around these parts).

Walk back to the Ford dealer and say to the salesman "I have no wheels now and no stereo. I will take the alloys and the Bose that you are giving away".

This time the dealer was even more rude and creased up on the floor laughing his head off and pointing his finger at me!

I'm never buying a Ford again!!!

KVRist
337 posts since 18 Apr, 2008

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:53 am

That analogy doesn’t really work. You would have to buy a Ford focus from the dealer. Then try to sell the car without the free items to someone else on the used market.

KVRist
147 posts since 26 Jun, 2010

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 am

DCrown wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 pm

IKM also makes money from re-sales by charging a transfer fee.
Not only that, but one of the likely reasons they even allow re-sale on the 2nd hand market is that it may perhaps obtain them a new customer, someone who wouldn't otherwise want to pay full-price from them, but then they register the 2nd hand product, find out how good IK stuff is and they eventually buy more, and so on and so on like the Prell commercial from the '80s :ud:

KVRist

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm

My guess was 15, now we are close to 16 and maybe we will even reach 17 at the end, this is unbelievable!
Last edited by DCrown on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
1921 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 pm

I'm grateful to this group buy for introducing me to Mixbox. What a fun sound design and mixing toybox. It's definitely one of the biggest highlights for me so far. I've also found many of the T-Racks plugins nicely laid out and pleasant to use. I'm struggling to choose between the tape machines though because they sound so similar to me. Maybe I'm testing them on the wrong kind of material or just don't know what to listen for. Any preferences?

KVRist

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Tronam wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 pm
I'm grateful to this group buy for introducing me to Mixbox. What a fun sound design and mixing toybox. It's definitely one of the biggest highlights for me so far. I've also found many of the T-Racks plugins nicely laid out and pleasant to use. I'm struggling to choose between the tape machines though because they sound so similar to me. Maybe I'm testing them on the wrong kind of material or just don't know what to listen for. Any preferences?
I can't tell whether I do really like the tape plugins or whether I will use them, all I can tell is that they are heavy on cpu.
I have two tape plugins and they are all pretty similar indeed and pretty subtle, too.
I miss some more aggressive tape saturation.
My fav IKM plugin is Amplitube 5, my fav T Racks is Prec Comp / Limiter.
I expected more from Syntron. It has some very nice presets, no doubt, but I don't think I will ever use it in a production. Hammond is a great addition to what I already have, a pretty prominent organ sound, might be great sometimes, but I am glad I have also smoother organs whenever an organ should be just a part of several instruments, not the main instrument, just playing some chords.
I love Sampletanks C7 Yamaha piano and do not like the drum series Bill Cobham etc, pretty weak imo. Modo drum has three drumkits I like, but cymbals or crash generally sound awful. The best snares you still get from Steven Slate Ssd5 imo.
Last edited by DCrown on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

KVRAF
5363 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Just 2 to go, c'mon!

KVRist

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:53 pm

I have just bought 10 items! So please calm down :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
5363 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:58 am

DCrown wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:53 pm
May we kindly ask you to buy another 1.000, please? :pray:

KVRAF
4304 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:49 am

Am I missing something or there is no way to export MIDI loop to DAW using drag and drop for the loop-based SampleTank libraries? e.g. London Grooves.

I could record the audio loop, no worries, but MIDI export would be nice (and expected).

KVRist

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:39 am

martinjuenke wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:58 am
DCrown wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:53 pm
May we kindly ask you to buy another 1.000, please? :pray:
:) no kidding, 17 items would be a great number for me, I am curious whether we will reach next level?!...

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”