vurt - jabberwocky.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the lewis carol nonsense poem.

jabberwocky

Jabberwocky
Lewis Carroll - 1832-1898

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

soup of the evening ,
beautiful soup ...

Good lyrics, but a bit hard to make out at times... ;)

experimental.crow wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:26 pm soup of the evening ,
beautiful soup ...
:party:

sjm wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 pm Good lyrics, but a bit hard to make out at times... ;)
there may be more versions to follow.
just having fun with samplers and fx at the minute :ud:

Jabberwocky in Russian is Barmaglot. It's important to note that the Russian Barmaglot is "zlopastniy" (an adjective which is a portmanteau of "evil" and "dangerous", an equivalent to "frumious" in a way, i guess).

When I think about the sounds which a Zlopastniy Barmaglot would make, that's pretty much similar to what I hear here, but on the other hand, something called "Jabberwocky" would probably make some smoother and kinda wobbly sounds, don't you think?
Last edited by recursive one on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:36 pm Jabberwocky in Russian is Barmaglot. It's important to note that the Russian Barmaglot is "zlopasniy" (an adjective which is a portmanteau of "evil" and "dangerous", an equivalent to "frumious" in a way, i guess).

When I think about the sounds which a Zlopasniy Barmaglot would make, that's pretty much similar to what I hear here, but on the other hand, something called "Jabberwocky" would probably make some smoother and kinda wobbly sounds, don't you think?
interesting!
id never actually thought about made up words having foreign translations?

i was thinking along the lines of the vorpal blades "snicker snack" for the soundscape.

although, this is a picture of my jabberwocky (mcgee) and he looks less smooth and wobbly than his name suggests ...
Screenshot_2021-08-09-16-42-48-412~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:29 pm there may be more versions to follow.
just having fun with samplers and fx at the minute :ud:
It seems like a great sound source, so looking forward to the future versions.

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:48 pm id never actually thought about made up words having foreign translations?
The whole poem was translated by Dina Orlovskaya with use of some excellent wordplay and made up words which are just as intriguing as the English ones.

Well, going by your pic, THAT Jabberwocky would absolutely sound like your track :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

nonsense?

these are all perfectly cromulent words

Quite hard to understand for non English people, especially for those who are not familiar with Shakespeare sonnets :scared: :cry: - you scrambled up the speech obviously. Thanks for giving an impression of chaos on oldschool poetry.. :D :hihi:

Well, that was unexpected. Alien communication from a distant galaxy. I think this would sound so cool with some sci fi background music. I might give it a whirl if it's okay.

Needs a backbeat…. :P
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jancivil wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:54 pm nonsense?

these are all perfectly cromulent words
:hihi:

htcnext2 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:55 pm Quite hard to understand for non English people, especially for those who are not familiar with Shakespeare sonnets :scared: :cry: - you scrambled up the speech obviously. Thanks for giving an impression of chaos on oldschool poetry.. :D :hihi:
my apologies, id ignore shakespeare tbh, hes boring.
chaos and poetry go together well for me, as im rubbish at poetry, if i ever write my own lyrics, ill destroy them even more, as otherwise people might understand them and see how bad i am at writing! :o

Return to “Music Cafe”