Thoughts from a Potential New Architect User...

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

I've been reading good things about Architect and want to give it a try, but I'm running into a few hurdles:

1. It seems like one of the demo limitations is not being able to load existing "projects", all you can do is save them. As part of my evaluation of the software, I want to load other users' creations and see how they work. It doesn't seem like that is possible.

2. This is admittedly subjective, but the the intro price seems a little high for a beta. In other words, $140 is a lot to ask if #1 is true in my opinion.

Hopefully I'm wrong about #1.

Thanks!

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, I'm afraid one of the demo limitations is that you can't open saved presets. You can, however, import other user's macros, which does allow you to circumvent this restriction in many cases.

I did consider relaxing this limitation in future demos, so I will keep your feedback (and the feedback regarding the price) in mind.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thank you for your consideration! Maybe the next beta/demo version can include a few presets to try out/delve into?

Absolutely. It will, that is the intent with the 0.11 release.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Great, so we only need the releeeeeease now, Colin! :D

140 is really not that much for what you get in return .
A great live midi environment , a gui front end and a complete modular midi toolset to build everything your heart desires , including sysex editors for your hardware.
Amazeballs I tell you !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Still, the main reason I never jumped on it, is the price. I own Max since its version 2.0 and it would have to compete with it. I can easily include Max into my workflow, but can't use it as plugin (the main advantage of Loomer). There is also Pure Data and Camomile. Its a bit of a hassle to create VSTs with it, but possible.
So I am lurking here and follow the development and simply wait for offers which would get me over the fence, but its far from that... I bet if the price is quarter of what its asked for you would get more than 4 times the sales. It would make it also interesting for people who don't want to patch them self, but get their hands on creations from others...
Maybe I should just learn Reaktor which I own as well (but its so much less accessible than Max...)

Thank you for the feedback: I will certainly keep your pricing suggestions in mind. It's a tricky thing deciding the exact price point, and I'm sure that my points of comparison were Numerology Pro and Max.

In a way Architect is a bit like an early Max without the DSP options. I also got Bluecats Plug'n'Script, but I am not really made for lines of code programming. Switching to Max from Modula II (30 years ago) was such a relief and Modula II is already so much better than C (but sort of dead now...). But Plug'n'Script allows to share the exported result as VST, you could even sell it.
I'd also look at the model Cherry Audio is using for their Voltage Modular. There is an option to program your own devices, but if you want to sell them in their store, you need an extra license which probably pays for itself that way...

Also NI with Reaktor and Kontakt have a model that requires the full version of either, but there is a free player which would only work if the developer pays some extra fee to make it playable in the Player...

In the beginning of Max we could share patches, as there was a free MaxPlay. Now they incorporated this into the Max/MSP demo which still can modify a patch, but isn't able to save it. I loved that switch, because often enough I had clients running my patch in a concert in MaxPlay but there was a need to adapt the patch to a concrete situation and the only way was to modify the patch on my computer, and then send it over and see how it works. Practically doing that back and forth until it would function as intended - much easier now...

Many options but most of them think also about creating a sort of eco system within the community. That does need a critical mass to head off, especially a critical mass of those who actually create patches and tools... I just recently could help someone who needed a simple fader with, lets say, an unusual curve. I could create a Max4Live device in Max without owning Live and it worked (as it was dead simple of course)... As a side note, the Max4Live license is in the same price range as Architect, but can do much much more and has a huge community which adds to the value...

Again, thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate this. Plenty for me to consider.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 am Still, the main reason I never jumped on it, is the price. I own Max since its version 2.0 and it would have to compete with it. I can easily include Max into my workflow, but can't use it as plugin (the main advantage of Loomer). There is also Pure Data and Camomile. Its a bit of a hassle to create VSTs with it, but possible.
So I am lurking here and follow the development and simply wait for offers which would get me over the fence, but its far from that... I bet if the price is quarter of what its asked for you would get more than 4 times the sales. It would make it also interesting for people who don't want to patch them self, but get their hands on creations from others...
Maybe I should just learn Reaktor which I own as well (but its so much less accessible than Max...)
Nah ,c'mon : a quarter of the price is just ridiculous and an insult to the developer.
You own max since version 2 , then you know the price was pretty steep back then , sure times have changed , but don't forget that loomer is a one man's company without a big research institute like ircam to back him up .
It's amazing what he has pulled of , years in the making .
This is not your average midi plugin , there are companies out there that charge the equal amount of money for just an arpergiator , all of which is available in architect .
Yes architect is like early max but with rock solid timing .
I own both reaktor and architect , and they complement each other verry well, reaktor is amazing for audio but the midi side is rudimentary to say the least.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 amThere is also Pure Data and Camomile. Its a bit of a hassle to create VSTs with it, but possible.
You can also use hvcc to transpile pd-vanilla patches (subset of objects) to c/c++ and vst2/lv2 plugins.

Imo less hassle (although you still need a bit of a brain to get it done), however no automatic gui as with camomile.

Sorry to be that guy, but any chance of an Architect Black Friday sale? (Just give me a reason to splurge! :) )

Just in case, I added Architect to my short BF watch list.

bigbot wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:17 pm Sorry to be that guy, but any chance of an Architect Black Friday sale? (Just give me a reason to splurge! :) )
Alas, no, I'm sorry to say I haven't done any Architect Black Friday deals this year. I'll have to think of another reason to get you splurging!

Return to “Loomer”