New Cherry Audio synth plugin Sept. 16th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 am Also, analog synths (same model) don't sound 100% identical due to small differencies in the components, and analog components also wear out with time, making the synths vary more sound wise.
But they don‘t suffer from aliasing. My demand for all CA synths: an oversampling option… Certainly on 96 kHz its acceptable at least…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:45 am
starflakeprj wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 am Also, analog synths (same model) don't sound 100% identical due to small differencies in the components, and analog components also wear out with time, making the synths vary more sound wise.
But they don‘t suffer from aliasing. My demand for all CA synths: an oversampling option… Certainly on 96 kHz its acceptable at least…
Yeah, that's true, and I have noticed your's and others' complaints about aliasing on CA synths. I'm not bothered too much actually, probably most people aren't, but I respect those who are.

There are mostly some imperfections sound wise in most synths, and more so, in emulations, because there is something you can compare with.

Price/Performance wise, aliasing or not, the CA synths are great. Which, of course, is one reason I'm not as bothered.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I don't get caught up in the whole aliasing thing, though some people seem to obsess over it.

When viewed in the big scheme of things, aliasing is far down on my list of things that are important. We all have our own preferences and priorities of course.

Among things that I see as far more important than obsessing over one minor issue would be these things I'm about to list. If any one of these things is not on point, then it doesn't really matter if there is aliasing on one synth in the project or not.

(1) Song must be great. If your song is crap, and you're obsessing over aliasing, then your priorities are out of wack. You are wasting your time and you are delusional.
(2) Production must be great. Synth patches must be great and fit the song.
(3) Vocals/Instrumentation must be great.
(4) Mix must be great. What's more important, a mix that is too bass heavy causing everything to sound not right, or that a synth used on the song has slight aliasing, which the majority wont even ever hear or notice. I know which is more important to me.

I try to view things through a bigger lens, and aliasing is just not something that will have any significant impact on my track. Those other things I listed will have a huge impact on my track.

Like many people here, I have a ton of synth plugins. When I'm making a track and I want a bass sound for example, I'll choose from one of my many synths, and as long as it sounds good to me, then I couldn't care less about if somebody posts a plugin doctor chart about that synth 2 weeks later and says "look, it's aliasing!". So what.

I don't know the technical specs behind all of my hundreds of synth plugins, nor do I have time to care about that. I'll just open one up and if it sounds good and fits the track, then all is well.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pm I don't get caught up in the whole aliasing thing, though some people seem to obsess over it.
From what I've seen, the sound designers are more bothered by it than the musicians. It's one thing to obsess over the sound of the instrument to the detriment of your attention to the process of writing the music. It's another to not have any music as context in the first place. Not everyone has room for every tool in their particular workflow, and that's fine.
I hate signatures too.

If this truly is going to be a Jupiter 4:

"The VCOs can garner unstable tuning if aging or low-quality electrolytic capacitors are used (two for each voice card). Synthesizer repair shops can replace these tuning capacitors with stable polystyrene capacitors for an instant perfect tune. Individual oscillator card VCO tuning is accessed by four capped holes in the middle of the back of the case, but the unit should be allowed to warm up before adjusting for at least 20 to 40 minutes prior to adjustment".

So even whether the Caps have been replaced or not in the test unit will make a difference in the final emulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Jupiter-4

At any rate I'm going to put $100 down at the sports book on the over/under being four hours after the demo is released before someone says "it doesn't sound like the original".... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pm I don't get caught up in the whole aliasing thing, though some people seem to obsess over it.

When viewed in the big scheme of things, aliasing is far down on my list of things that are important. We all have our own preferences and priorities of course.

Among things that I see as far more important than obsessing over one minor issue would be these things I'm about to list. If any one of these things is not on point, then it doesn't really matter if there is aliasing on one synth in the project or not.

(1) Song must be great. If your song is crap, and you're obsessing over aliasing, then your priorities are out of wack. You are wasting your time and you are delusional.
(2) Production must be great. Synth patches must be great and fit the song.
(3) Vocals/Instrumentation must be great.
(4) Mix must be great. What's more important, a mix that is too bass heavy causing everything to sound not right, or that a synth used on the song has slight aliasing, which the majority wont even ever hear or notice. I know which is more important to me.

I try to view things through a bigger lens, and aliasing is just not something that will have any significant impact on my track. Those other things I listed will have a huge impact on my track.

Like many people here, I have a ton of synth plugins. When I'm making a track and I want a bass sound for example, I'll choose from one of my many synths, and as long as it sounds good to me, then I couldn't care less about if somebody posts a plugin doctor chart about that synth 2 weeks later and says "look, it's aliasing!". So what.

I don't know the technical specs behind all of my hundreds of synth plugins, nor do I have time to care about that. I'll just open one up and if it sounds good and fits the track, then all is well.
Ditto!

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:46 pmAt any rate I'm going to put $100 down at the sports book on the over/under being four hours after the demo is released before someone says "it doesn't sound like the original".... :hihi:
I'll add $50 if they specifically use the words "sounds nothing like"... :lol:

I think we're both going to win some money..... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

beely wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 pm I'll add $50 if they specifically use the words "sounds nothing like"... :lol:
And their only experience with the original comes from watching a youtube video through their iPhone speaker of somebody playing the original.

beely wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:46 pmAt any rate I'm going to put $100 down at the sports book on the over/under being four hours after the demo is released before someone says "it doesn't sound like the original".... :hihi:
I'll add $50 if they specifically use the words "sounds nothing like"... :lol:
Put me down for $100 on "Not even close", followed by many rave reviews by purchasers having too much fun with it to nit pick. :D :D

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:46 pm At any rate I'm going to put $100 down at the sports book on the over/under being four hours after the demo is released before someone says "it doesn't sound like the original".... :hihi:
I think you can safely bet a lot more than that, and it will probably be someone who has never even been in the same room as an original JP-4.
Stormchild

beely wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 pm I'll add $50 if they specifically use the words "sounds nothing like"... :lol:
My money is on “night and day” — the perennial favorite of people who think they’re analog snobs but actually just don’t know what they’re talking about.
Stormchild

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 pm
From what I've seen, the sound designers are more bothered by it than the musicians.
I am bothered as a musician mainly. A glide in the high register just sounds wrong if part of the harmonic content of the sound is moving in the opposite direction… If you play it just with a keyboard without any bends, the aliasing is just a bit of harshness which might be acceptable in a mix context…
I do like the character of the CA synths a lot and prefer them over other emulations mostly. I just must not play them in the higher registers…

So a Jupiter 4 eh? A Jupiter 6 then next perhaps? Dont think either of them has been done before. I'm down fo dat!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Yeah they definitely should have an oversampling option imo.

Return to “Instruments”