Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian

Topic Starter

883 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 am

davidv@plogue wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 am
or every few days, or at whatever interval you want It seems like they don't care much about advertising
Takes time off research :D
Seriously I know, just so many hats I can wear.
Posting a thread on some forums doesn't take that long but will lead to increased sales. I think (based on your idea statement about the time cost) that you're under the assumption that you'll need to respond constantly to every post but that's not true at all. You don't necessarily have to respond to anything if you don't want. Or you can respond every few days or weekly or at whatever interval you want, including no responses.

You could have made zero responses to this thread that I made and there would still be tons of people talking about your synth for page after page. I'm guessing the fact that this thread was made has lead to some sales that would not have happened if the announcement was tucked away in a Plogue specific forum or in that other Plogue thread that was like 50 pages long that no one except Plogue fanboys would read.

People need to know your new product exists in order to buy it. I own almost all of your plugins but I would not have known that ops7 existed had I not decided to check page 50 of a random Plogue thread. The *only* reason I checked it is because I already own almost all of your plugins. I didn't get an email telling me about the release even though I'm a customer, and there were no threads that I saw on the forums I frequent. I almost didn't know this plugin existed despite being your core demographic. That's a big problem.

A simple thread with a title that peaks interest on a few of the forums that are full of habitual plugin buyers, and having a mailing list for advertising new plugins and sales to people who've already bought plugins from you, should be bare minimum level of low time-sink marketing, I would think.

I just want you to be as successful as you can be.

KVRAF
9016 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 am

You’re forgetting about support requests. More sales equals more support. Could be licensing issues, bugs being reported multiple times by different users, feature requests coming in via email, weird PC/host/plugin format related issues, etc. If you have a large user base that can become a fulltime job in and of itself. And if it goes from spending one hour a day responding to emails to four, then it’s probably not enough to hire a support person and you spend half your day writing emails when you want to be doing other things.

User avatar
KVRAF
5930 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:15 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 pm
Did you listen to all these thousands?
When I had the real machine, I learned the lesson that creating the sounds myself is faster than wading through hundreds of presets...; - )
That's usually how I feel -- I don't even mess with presets. With a DX7 though there's a nostalgia element to it, I kind of want to find some of those classic sounds, just not all of them :D And I feel like there are useful starting points for the kind of tweaking I like to do to FM sounds, rather than starting purely from scratch as I normally would.

Anyway, I wound up looking at a subset of the Dexed stuff and picked out a small portion of those as a "favorites" bank. The SYX page in OPS7 made that pretty easy.

KVRian

Topic Starter

883 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:08 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 am
You’re forgetting about support requests. More sales equals more support. Could be licensing issues, bugs being reported multiple times by different users, feature requests coming in via email, weird PC/host/plugin format related issues, etc. If you have a large user base that can become a fulltime job in and of itself. And if it goes from spending one hour a day responding to emails to four, then it’s probably not enough to hire a support person and you spend half your day writing emails when you want to be doing other things.
You think that a fourfold increase in sales should be ignored because there will be more support requests and more bugs will be found? I think that's crazy talk, but to each their own.

KVRist
315 posts since 15 Oct, 2001 from Santa Fe, NM

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am

I just tried to create a Factory ROM1A bank from original DX7 .syx bank. I could save about 6 presets before it goes crazy. When I try to load "06 STRINGS 3" I created, the "presets" screen flashes and says "- Init -" instead of the preset name. I started over creating all presets from scratch and then it did the same thing on "07 ORCHESTRA" preset I created. Another time the preset window would show the wrong preset name (03 BRASS 3) when I picked 07 ORCHESTRA. Giving up for now! I'm using latest Logic Pro on latest Big Sur. Standalone has same problem.

KVRAF
9016 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:17 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:08 am
You think that a fourfold increase in sales should be ignored because there will be more support requests and more bugs will be found? I think that's crazy talk, but to each their own.


We don't know it will be a fourfold increases in sales, nor do we know what the increase in support will be. I think the developer knows more about his business and how to run it than we do and while it's fun to think about how we would do things differently (from the outside), it's literally not our business. It's his. If he'd rather spend his time researching and developing more plugins versus trying to promote his products and push more sales, and everything else that entails, that's his choice. He pretty much stated as much. I respect that.

KVRian
703 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:41 am

The Plogue youtube channels (plgDavid & Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc.) are both fantastic. Just watched all OPS7 videos, it's like a quality documentary. Highly recommended!
Last edited by midi_transmission on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

KVRist
315 posts since 15 Oct, 2001 from Santa Fe, NM

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:42 am

FYI... the original DX7 factory ROM1A bank has good example of a preset that sounds different in OPS7 compared to Arturia and Dexed. BRASS 3 has some breathy noise on the attack of lower notes that's missing on the other 2 emulations - I'm guessing OPS7 is more accurate? But OMG, so wonderfully easy to load DX7 banks into Arturia DX7 V! They just import with 1 click. This seems like a crucial feature for a DX7 emulation. Of course it is dead simple in Dexed because it just plays the .syx banks directly.

User avatar
KVRAF
11370 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 am

Damn, shame this wasn’t out a while ago. I’m happy enough with DX-7 V and I just don’t care that much about a perfect emulation to get another one. Congratulations, though. Seems like a wonderful emulation of a classic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 am

midi_transmission wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:41 am
The Plogue youtube channels (plgDavid & Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc.) are both fantastic. Just watched all OPS7 videos, it's like a quality documentary. Highly recommended!
Indeed. Fascinating... And luckily didn't get into the whole maths of it. For my tiny brain would probably explode.

User avatar
KVRAF
4618 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:00 am

briefcasemanx wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 am
davidv@plogue wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 am
or every few days, or at whatever interval you want It seems like they don't care much about advertising
Takes time off research :D
Seriously I know, just so many hats I can wear.
Posting a thread on some forums doesn't take that long but will lead to increased sales. I think (based on your idea statement about the time cost) that you're under the assumption that you'll need to respond constantly to every post but that's not true at all. You don't necessarily have to respond to anything if you don't want. Or you can respond every few days or weekly or at whatever interval you want, including no responses.

You could have made zero responses to this thread that I made and there would still be tons of people talking about your synth for page after page. I'm guessing the fact that this thread was made has lead to some sales that would not have happened if the announcement was tucked away in a Plogue specific forum or in that other Plogue thread that was like 50 pages long that no one except Plogue fanboys would read.

People need to know your new product exists in order to buy it. I own almost all of your plugins but I would not have known that ops7 existed had I not decided to check page 50 of a random Plogue thread. The *only* reason I checked it is because I already own almost all of your plugins. I didn't get an email telling me about the release even though I'm a customer, and there were no threads that I saw on the forums I frequent. I almost didn't know this plugin existed despite being your core demographic. That's a big problem.

A simple thread with a title that peaks interest on a few of the forums that are full of habitual plugin buyers, and having a mailing list for advertising new plugins and sales to people who've already bought plugins from you, should be bare minimum level of low time-sink marketing, I would think.

I just want you to be as successful as you can be.
Which I why I created the thread on gearslutz, and based on those responses , plogue has a winner on his hands .
Unlike other other companies , plogue places accuracy above marketing and I applaud that .
A product this good will get recognized sooner or later ( it alread has ) , no marketing cherry bubble :)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRian
807 posts since 3 Aug, 2001 from Montreal

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 am

abernathy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am
Giving up for now! I'm using latest Logic Pro on latest Big Sur. Standalone has same problem.
This sounds absolutely weird and first time its been reported. If you are available early next week, would love to get a video recording of the steps.
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

KVRist
315 posts since 15 Oct, 2001 from Santa Fe, NM

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 am

davidv@plogue wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 am
abernathy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am
Giving up for now! I'm using latest Logic Pro on latest Big Sur. Standalone has same problem.
This sounds absolutely weird and first time its been reported. If you are available early next week, would love to get a video recording of the steps.
I will put together a screen recording. Thanks!

KVRist
315 posts since 15 Oct, 2001 from Santa Fe, NM

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:59 am

abernathy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 am
davidv@plogue wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 am
abernathy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am
Giving up for now! I'm using latest Logic Pro on latest Big Sur. Standalone has same problem.
This sounds absolutely weird and first time its been reported. If you are available early next week, would love to get a video recording of the steps.
I will put together a screen recording. Thanks!
Here's a long boring screen recording of this issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tavgedgzxu45 ... s.mov?dl=0

User avatar
KVRAF
4618 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 am

For some reason the plogue dx7 thread at gearslutz is deleted , wtf!
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”