Helios & Datamix console emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waves Kramer HLS & PIE

EQ & Dynamics Plug-in

By Sam Inglis
Published December 2010

Eddie Kramer is a producer and engineer who knows a thing or two about rock & roll, so when he gives his name to plug‑ins modelled after his favourite hardware, we expect great things...

As sought‑after British vintage gear goes, the classic Pye compressor is up there with the Helios EQ.

Sound on Sound article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/wav ... er-hls-pie
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

DCrown wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 am So many SSL, API, Neve, why no Helios ?
The short answer is because SSL, API, and Neve are still around to flog their own legends as a way to sell their current lines, with ample help from the likes of Sweetwater.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

A fully modeled Helios Type 69 preamp/EQ is at the very top of my want list. I wish IK would do it, since their Neve and API preamp models are so good. (I wish they would add the preamps to the SSL models, but that’s for another thread.)

I don’t really trust Waves because they always overhype the “character” to cartoonish levels to match their cartoon GUIs, but I may be forced to get the HLS for $29 if someone respectable doesn’t do it.

jamcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 pm
The short answer is because SSL, API, and Neve are still around to flog their own legends as a way to sell their current lines, with ample help from the likes of Sweetwater.
Yes, that's certainly a possible explanation to some extent at least...

btw.: for the Helios EQ section at least there's a module for the Presonus Fat Channel XT as well:

https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-P ... olar-69-EQ
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jamcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:42 pm
I don’t really trust Waves because they always overhype the “character” to cartoonish levels to match their cartoon GUIs
Are you sure about this or do you think your dislike for their GUIs might have tarnished your judgement ever so slightly?

Waves have quite a good reputation by many well respected pros actually. And while I have absolutely NO experience whatsoever when it comes to the original of course, I really like the HLS.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:30 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 pm
Yes, that's certainly a possible explanation to some extent at least...

btw.: for the Helios EQ section at least there's a module for the Presonus Fat Channel XT as well:

https://shop.presonus.com/Fat-Channel-P ... olar-69-EQ
Unfortunately the PreSonus 69 won't work for me because it doesn't model the preamp. As I've mentioned on a few other threads, I've been using console preamp models to drive the signal to Tape Machine 80 on every track with great results. I've mostly been using TR EQ-81, but what I really want is a Helios 69 preamp, because that's the true sound of rock.

I also believe you really can't separate the EQ from the preamp on a console. It completely misses the point when you do, and its disappointing that so many developers (and DAW users) don't grasp that.

The PreSonus Helios EQ does give me hope that they will add a Helios model to their Mix Engine FX lineup.

jens wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:33 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:42 pm
I don’t really trust Waves because they always overhype the “character” to cartoonish levels to match their cartoon GUIs
Are you sure about this or do you think your dislike for their GUIs might have tarnished your judgement ever so slightly?

Waves have quite a good reputation by many well respected pros actually. And while I have absolutely NO experience whatsoever when it comes to the original of course, I really like the HLS.
We've debated this before (well, actually, I stated my opinion and you insulted me.)

I'm (mostly) joking when I say Waves isn't reputable. I do think they exaggerate the "character" of their models, but a lot of developers do. That's partially the fault of the users who expect to really hear their tracks dripping with all the buzzwords marketers and journalists (though I repeat myself) use to describe the sonics of gear, like they're Guy Fieri describing a meatloaf casserole at a diner in Albuquerque.

I'm probably going to bite on the Waves HLS. It seems like Waves plugins are always "on sale" for $29, including now. Are they ever not?

Return to “Effects”