Your plugin collection vs starting over again

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread actually reminded me to install the Tone2 synths on my new computer. Thanks!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Wouldn’t change a thing. Have all I need, no more, no less.

That said, I have bought and sold plenty else. If I had my time again, I would pass on most things I ever even considered.

If i were starting over i would do much the same, but probably not buy as much. I would definitely have put more of my time into Reaktor, and much less into samples.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Not exactly the question, but I would put more time into learning and selecting a quality DAW. Then I'd get my workflow in said DAW down to being as quick and efficient as possible. I wasted too many years puttering around in one that was an unusable piece of shit getting nothing done.

Finally I'd learn how the basic effects work and interact to shape a track's sound.

(Then of course I'd rebuy everything I have now, probably some of them twice, who am I kidding.)
A well-behaved signature.

What I planned is not what I'm using now! I planned to use only my MODX and Minibrute with Bitwig (ideally inside Linux or a M1 Mac). I failed because I didn't like the MiniBrute overall sound and then I couldn't let go the synths and drums that I really liked over the years.

So, I just pick few tools for one track and that's it. So, I try to use two or three synths and one drums kit plus my MODX (can be just one sound or more, depends on what I need). This the most I could reach!

I can't decide which synth(s) must stay, but I can decide which synths to let go (mostly those that I didn't touch in years!). After selling and buying the same synths more than once, I reached the conclusion that those are my synths to go plus few new ones.

My main choices are from NI, Rob Papen and Arturia but I also have other important synths like the Legend, Zebra, Invader2, Thorn, OPS7, Knif(something) and few others. However, MODX has replaced almost all samples libraries and Kontakt, so the space is taken mostly by DAWs libraries that I use rarely.

About 90% of my GAS is dead now, so it's no problem for me nowadays :) 10% is mostly for hardware analog synth, but even that not sure! FM/VA/Wavetable synths are more important for me and they are more than enough in reality :)

I should happily live with Bitwig and Max/MSP alone. But I like to have that huge collection of nostalgia as well. Though its inspiring, its also distraction… Having a MPE controller helps to restrict myself to MPE capable synths only, but there are more and more appearing…

I think it is to know when exactly to stop having more tools! Knowing where is the line that if you pass it, you then have too many tools! The problem we are always cheating and draw the line further away :hihi:

If I were starting over, I would probably start with a handful of synths and effects, then keep adding stuff until I once again had hundreds of plugins installed. It is the way.

Return to “Instruments”