Cubase 12 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:56 pm So, how does the Cubase 11 Pro license on the USB key communicate to a non-eLicenser authorization of an upgrade to 12?

open the elicense manager and do a refresh, if you're eligible for the grace period update your license and name will update, then open the new Steinberg license manager and do a grace period check (top right corner there's a dropdown menu icon)... then it's just follow the yellow brick road from memory.

I don't need a grace period, the upgrade is from an extant license on a key

but you seem to be indicating the process starts from eLicenser per se?

...for the grace period licences. For an upgrade I don't know, but i would assume that the process would begin from the new Steinberg license manager. Surely Steinberg would send a (DAC?) code that you'd redeem in the Steinberg license manager.

Actually sorry, i think the DAC code is redeemed in your online Steinberg account dashboard.
THEN when you log into the Steinberg license manager, the license should appear there.

i ve upgraded from cubase 11, i had to update elicenser, download the new steinberg licence manager, put the download access code , activate the cubase 12 licence on my computer . those are the steps i ve done it 2 days ago , i m just not sure about the order of the steps

yeah when i was trying to claim my upgrade Steinberg had ZERO instructions anywhere.
My email to support was just answered a week after i managed to upgrade.

Do you need the dongle if you want to run C11 after that? Or can you run C11 or C10 with the new license manager?

My expectation normally is elicenser will know what kind of license C12 is - it will be one for the upgrade from C11 Pro, $99 - requiring there to be an extant license to upgrade, same as it ever was.
But now I'm seeing The good news is that the new Steinberg Licensing system worked very well and from now on updating won’t require the eLicenser server any more.
which isn't clear to me for more than one reason; one is the definition of update, the other my question here, how would the new system know, otherwise. Over at their forum all kind of problems reported.

My C11 license resides on a key that wasn't even registered before I caught this today.
So there's too many moving parts before we get unto the new world order here, but I more or less follow up to now.

EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:08 am Do you need the dongle if you want to run C11 after that? Or can you run C11 or C10 with the new license manager?
Yes - you still need it to run versions that have their license on a dongle.
I'd imagine I'll probably forget about running previous versions after using C12 for a while.
I still need to use the dongle for Steinberg's Absolute collection too.

It's really great running C12 without a dongle on my laptop though. :tu:
Last edited by felis on Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

double

felis wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:55 am
EnGee wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:08 am Do you need the dongle if you want to run C11 after that? Or can you run C11 or C10 with the new license manager?
Yes - you still need it to run versions that have their license on a dongle.
I'd imagine I'll probably forget about running previous versions after using C12 for a while.
I still need to use the dongle for Steinberg's Absolute collection too.

It's really great running C12 without a dongle on my laptop though. :tu:

Yes it makes sense for anyone with laptop to get rid of the dongle. I suspect only the new releases will be on the new system. Can the older versions be sold (with the dongle)? Or there is no way to register a dongle anymore?

You also need the dongle for all of the soundsets

kritikon wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:12 pm Just checking as one of the things with C12 was its compatibility with Win11. It's still performing OK on Win10? I'm not in any hurry to get Win11 and it didn't sound like Win11 is that much different to Win 10 but you never know, it's exactly the kind of thing Steinberg could have f**ked up - they're not exactly No1 at backwards compatibility.
Of course it will run on W10 and W11 equally the same. Windows =\= MacOs ;)
W10 and W11 are almost identical if not identical at its core. The only difference in performance can be if MS messed up something in W11 but I didn't heard anything about DAW/audio issues in W11.
You don't need to update W10 to W11 for the next couple years and you'll be perfectly fine :)

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:56 pm So, how does the Cubase 11 Pro license on the USB key communicate to a non-eLicenser authorization of an upgrade to 12?
When you upgrade from 11, there is a process where the installer opens eLicenser, and then it changes that license to "non-upgradeable". So the old license still works for all legacy stuff, but you can't sell or upgrade it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”