Romantic Waltzes

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

These are some Waltzes I'm recording recently:

https://soundcloud.com/user-764724242/sets/wip-waltzes

I wanted to orchestrate with VSTs but I realized this is quite difficult to do, therefore
I got satisfied for now with making a piano arrangement and adding strings.
My objective is to make a version of each one with piano & strings, but once it takes some time for me to practice the piano, I decided to publish the melodies already using strings solely.

VSTs used:

Piano - Noire
Strings - Cinematic Studio Strings
Violin - Joshua Bell
Bayan - Ilya Efimov
There's some Chris Hein instruments too.

Thank you for any advice
Last edited by Ksamphos on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Super.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:33 pm Super.
Thank you! I need much motivation to keep it going and your comment cheered me up. :)

Yeah these are great, very relaxing.

Beautiful! Keep it up :)

Great stuff! Really digging it...

Nice! Waltz no 6 took my attention. :)

I like the piano arrangements, but the strings does not work for me. They sound way too "hard".
More soft strings would greatly improve this.

Are you familiar with MIDI CC? CC1 usually controls Dynamics (hardness/softness) while midi CC11 controls Expression (volume).
You basically map a controller in your Midi panel (in your music software) to a CC, and manually draw curves (by hand) to adjust how hard or soft the strings should sound.

Also add some more vibrato, especially vibrato on soft strings would sound really good.

Karlatin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:02 pm Yeah these are great, very relaxing.
Thank you for your kind cumpliment!
giant_panda wrote: Beautiful! Keep it up
Thank you, panda the great, and for your suggestion too.
unkow wrote: Great stuff! Really digging it...
Thanks, really nice to hear you are paying attention to it.
Ryan Kenneth wrote: Nice! Waltz no 6 took my attention.
Thank you, nice to know, this one with Piano & Strings is my prefered arrangement - I want to record the others this way.
mediumaevum wrote: I like the piano arrangements, but the strings does not work for me. They sound way too "hard".
More soft strings would greatly improve this.

Are you familiar with MIDI CC? CC1 usually controls Dynamics (hardness/softness) while midi CC11 controls Expression (volume).
You basically map a controller in your Midi panel (in your music software) to a CC, and manually draw curves (by hand) to adjust how hard or soft the strings should sound.

Also add some more vibrato, especially vibrato on soft strings would sound really good.
Thank you!
I did little "after editing" on these yet. I'm still looking for a default way to record them, and specially practicing the piano, then I might do some modelling after I have something I chose.
I would like also to edit vibrato/expression while playing, using faders, but I don't have faders at the moment.

I spent a week trying to learn to "orchestrate" with sole Strings, but then I realized it's quite difficult to make it sound well, so, for now, I decided to do a Piano and "simple orchestration". I mean, relying the "harmony/bass" on the Piano, and using the other Orchestra instruments only for Melody and adding colour, but with the Piano doing the hard task of "holding" the music, so to say.

About the hardness of the Strings, it's complicated. The thing is that I'm not satisfied on how I can express the melody using only the "Strings" VST, but I'm quite satisfied with Joshua Bell Violin VST. So, I created this new "instrument" which is Strings + Joshua Bell + some Chris Hein. And it sounds harder than just Strings, but at the same time I don't feel I can express it how I would like without using the Joshua Bell - which is great in playability and expression.

What I mean is that making soft strings using only the Strings VST would be easy, but using JBell together might be a little trickier, but I might try anyway, it's a good suggestion, I realized after reading your commentary that the Strings are sounding quite "strong" indeed.

Return to “Music Cafe”