Idea for LinnStrument video series

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Steve,

well, I certainly don’t want to take over anything. As a matter of fact, the idea of doing something like that alone has held me back from doing anything at all up to this point. I do, however, love the idea of a collective effort. I think if we put our heads together we can come up with a nice set of tutorials touching on all those areas that zachaudioguy suggested. Then we can divide up the work and the task won’t seem so daunting.

@Reckon104 What else do you need to figure out to get going on this? If you're stuck somewhere and maybe want to hash out some ideas I'd be happy to hop on a discord channel some evening or weekend and help do some brainstorming.

On the distribution side, one thing that immediately comes to mind when creating a new YouTube channel is who would own it? If it's just a single person making content then that's a non-issue. If there are multiple contributors, maybe a multi-user collaborative playlist could make more sense 🤷. At least if someone falls off the face of the earth, someone with permission could still maintain the playlist.

Fontaine: Fantastic! I would love to work with you on doing this and we see if others want to join as we get underway. I will message you soon and we can start doing a little brainstorming.

Zachaudioguy: Thanks so much for the offer/interest. Let me do some thinking and see if there are any issues that I might benefit from some support with. Also, had been thinking the same thing about youtube, wondering if there was such a thing as a channel with multiple owners? Guess not. Multi-user collaborative playlist sounds good though...wonder if you can have "sub-playlists" on something like that.

As long as the playlist is kept somewhere safe (maybe Roger's), the individual videos can be kept under the youtube account of the person who creates them - that way they keep control of what they create. A playlist can include video from multiple channels.

minorAfno wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:49 pm I am also looking forward to this. If it serves as inspiration, I have enjoyed Oliver Prehn's improvisations lessons for piano. They can be easily transported to Linnstrument, as they are pattern based. https://www.youtube.com/c/NewJazz
It would be just awesome if lessons like NewJazz would appear for linnstrument! Also would be awesome to have on screen virtual linnstrument showing what buttons are pressed at the moment - as in many piano lessons, including NewJazz. Would gladly join patreon to support such lessons' creation if needed (;

Reckon104 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm . . . I've been kicking around the idea of doing a series of videos (free) on youtube that would essentially be about using the Linnstrument to learn how to improvise. So it would be mainly focused on less experienced musicians and complete beginners, but also (in my mind anyway) those musicians who were ruined by their childhood music lessons and have the (mistaken) belief that they "can't improvise." . . .
@Reckon104, I just joined this forum so I could reply to your post and encourage you to move forward on this endeavor. I recently learned about the Linnstrument and will be making a purchase soon, probably the LS 128, which is out of stock until January 25. I tried the Push 1, but it is not an instrument.

The part I quoted from your first post resonates with me. I am a complete beginner, but I want to sit down and create intelligently. I am starting to read my first music theory book. Even though I had piano lessons as a kid and played percussion in school, I feel like I have no knowledge or competency in the subject matter. I can't even look at a treble clef and know what note to play except for the middle C octave.

I don't know where to begin, so I am just jumping in, but posts like yours give me hope that maybe best practices for playing two handed will be shared. Like, if I want to practice scales, what's the best fingering?

This will be my first instrument, and any help to bring out the musician in me would be much appreciated. Thanks for putting this forward.

Hey all, just wanted to alert you to the fact that Fontaine and I have published our first tutorials (and if nothing else, check out the damn funky Giant Steps that Fontaine includes in his)

Fontaine's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrNNKje9siA
Steve's: https://youtu.be/MAraY2bGXuo

Thanks so much, Fontaine and Steve!

To all: I've created a new "Tutorials" playlist on my YouTube channel, where I've placed these two videos plus some others over the years that fit the category:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rogerlinndesign/playlists

I've only watched Fontaine's so far and it is brilliant - thanks so much for taking the time. I'll be on Steve's in the morning... Great job chaps, thanks!

I wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed both videos, I'd put myself as an intermediate and found something of value in each video. It's just so refreshing to hear someone talk through their approach to the instrument.

I have 2 technical recommendations that apply to both videos, please take them in the spirit of wanting to improve future content.

1. Boost/compress vocals. On my laptop with speakers at max volume I had to enable automatic subtitles to comprehend the vocals over the crunching of my toast.
2. Add youtube chapters. This is as simple as adding some text to the description of the video. This is a great feature for educational content, which tends to get re-watched. The feature allows the viewer to jump to an outlined/labeled section of the video. See this tutorial on chapters for a how-to.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks for posting these Steve! I hope some players here on the forum are enjoying them and getting something out of them. So far the feedback has been great…very motivating! 😊
Last edited by FontaineBurnett on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

zachaudioguy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:15 pm I wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed both videos, I'd put myself as an intermediate and found something of value in each video. It's just so refreshing to hear someone talk through their approach to the instrument.

I have 2 technical recommendations that apply to both videos, please take them in the spirit of wanting to improve future content.

1. Boost/compress vocals. On my laptop with speakers at max volume I had to enable automatic subtitles to comprehend the vocals over the crunching of my toast.
2. Add youtube chapters. This is as simple as adding some text to the description of the video. This is a great feature for educational content, which tends to get re-watched. The feature allows the viewer to jump to an outlined/labeled section of the video. See this tutorial on chapters for a how-to.

Looking forward to more.
Thanks for the feedback Zach….That must have been some mighty crunchy toast! 😂 But seriously, those are excellent suggestions. particularly the with chapters. I will do my best to get that sorted on the next videos. 😊

Yes, great suggestions! Definitely a great community to try something like this as a rookie and so fun to work with a pro like Fontaine!

Thank you for making these videos, guys! My Linnstrument is still in transit hopefully getting here sometime this weekend or early next week (fingers crossed). I'm coming into it pretty much completely green. Been watching whatever Linnstrument videos I could find on YouTube so these are perfectly suited for me. Really looking forward to getting started with mine when it gets here!

Thank you Steve and Fontaine. Your videos are of great value. Since I am new to all aspects of thinking like a musician I am spending daily time with Steve's video, but I really appreciate Fontaine's also. You both are so kind to give this gift. Thanks.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”