About CLAP

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:25 pm I just hope this new format will help, not hinder Linux audio.....
Yep. I'm actually hopeful this will eventually make Linux the dominate OS for music.
[/quote]

Give me some of your hope. Why do you think this will help? We just barely started getting a foothold with VST3 on Linux. What problems does this new format solve? Does this format help developers truly write once and compile for many? Until I can learn more details, I'm going to remain worried that this will just muddy the waters and make development harder for developers. I really hope I'm wrong, but what can I say? We know NO details at all about it.....
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

AnX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:45 pm

My guess is, my host will never get the clap :hihi:
you might though. again... :lol:

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:34 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:25 pm I just hope this new format will help, not hinder Linux audio.....
BBFG# wrote: Yep. I'm actually hopeful this will eventually make Linux the dominate OS for music.
Give me some of your hope. Why do you think this will help? We just barely started getting a foothold with VST3 on Linux. What problems does this new format solve? Does this format help developers truly write once and compile for many? Until I can learn more details, I'm going to remain worried that this will just muddy the waters and make development harder for developers. I really hope I'm wrong, but what can I say? We know NO details at all about it.....
My hope lays more in making a more direct and encompassing format that renders the rest to closed and ego-centric systems outdating themselves. Definitely a long term hope, but still a hope.

I've used all four (RIP DOS) for decades. But Apple and Windows have been getting worse and worse. Far more scheming in owning its customers as some form of domesticated livestock. Herds and flocks afraid to go anywhere but where the prods direct them. And most of us know where that leads...

JMO

Music Engineer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:27 pmeven more important could be to get roli on board
ROLI is dead. Also has nothing to do with JUCE anymore. ;)

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:12 pmIf this format doesn't solve more than the Steinberg licensing problem
It solves way more. It's not a clusterf*ck of an SDK that VST3 is. It's simple, it's lean, it's fast, and actually results in plugins that can run more efficiently.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:07 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:12 pmIf this format doesn't solve more than the Steinberg licensing problem
It solves way more. It's not a clusterf*ck of an SDK that VST3 is. It's simple, it's lean, it's fast, and actually results in plugins that can run more efficiently.
Would you please share details? OK, it's lean, open source and efficient. What else? What libraries are involved besides QT? How are you dealing with the QT GTK issues? Is C the preferred language? Details, man! I want details! :P
Last edited by audiojunkie on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

All in due time, since as Urs said, the spec is not yet ABI stable.

At any rate, you can expect something that is not a hundreds of files monstrosity that VST3SDK is.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMO if CLAP (CLP would be better, any three initials is better) can get all the cross platform DAWs besides the ones owned by Apple, Avid and Yamaha, on board, then it could take off.

So if it can get at least FL Studio, Digital Performer, Bitwig, Live, Studio One, Renoise, and Reaper on board, then it becomes a viable alternative to VST and AU. '

The problem is obvious though, it's not going to replace AAX, AU and VST in Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase, so it just become another format for developers to support. Small developers might decide to start with CLAP, but they're going to end up porting to AU and VST at some point...

BTW CLAP stands for CLever Audio Plugin. So if anything, CAP should be the proper acronym. :P

Yes please. I want to see numbers/data for that claim.
rsp
sound sculptist

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:16 pm BTW CLAP stands for CLever Audio Plugin. So if anything, CAP should be the proper acronym. :P
So CLP would make more sense, since not all plugins are audio.

When is this passive aggressive take over due for release?

BBFG# wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:21 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:16 pm BTW CLAP stands for CLever Audio Plugin. So if anything, CAP should be the proper acronym. :P
So CLP would make more sense, since not all plugins are audio.
In this case, they are. From what I can see, there's no MIDI only plugins under CLAP (yet).

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:32 pm I think this is gonna be a pretty big thing, given a bit of time and support from host vendors. If the "CLAP consortium" :) gets at least Reaper, Studio One, Live (especially Live), I'd say it's gonna become pretty interesting.
FLS would be a nice one too

Yeah true, FL is also a good candidate for adoption, since they already wrap any non-FL plugin formats anyways.

Return to “u-he”