2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:54 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:44 pm Ooo, not a fan of 1010...
It's really just being used as a cheap way to get a drumkit's worth samples out of the little 104hp skiff I have so I don't have to drag over one of the bigger racks. I can plug one MIDI lead out of the 8 track Performer sequencer into it and away you go. Seems to work OK if a little rudimentary. I like to use it to get the basic building blocks then replace some of them with more analogue patches using white noise, filters and envelopes etc later on.

When you say not a fan of 1010, the company or specific products?
Heh, likely they will disappoint you in some fashion, sooner or later.

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:00 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:54 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:44 pm Ooo, not a fan of 1010...
It's really just being used as a cheap way to get a drumkit's worth samples out of the little 104hp skiff I have so I don't have to drag over one of the bigger racks. I can plug one MIDI lead out of the 8 track Performer sequencer into it and away you go. Seems to work OK if a little rudimentary. I like to use it to get the basic building blocks then replace some of them with more analogue patches using white noise, filters and envelopes etc later on.

When you say not a fan of 1010, the company or specific products?
Heh, likely they will disappoint you in some fashion, sooner or later.
I think you all said as much to me too. I do like BlueBox but it’s not without faults. The same goes for BlackBox. And yes I’m disappointed.

They have great concepts but they need a different team in charge of UI and workflow. The also need a better support team.

Well it’s doing what I want it to for now. I looked at the ALM Squid, too much HP for fewer tracks, and the Squarp Rample which seemed pretty limited and the Erica Synths drum one had two tracks for the same money so it seemed like an ok investment for £230. Got a Digitakt if I want something more comprehensive.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Unfortunately, they are like a bad plugin developer, lots of great ideas that they begin and sadly never seem to see through to the end, before moving onto the next great idea. Unlike most plugin devs, their products cost hundreds of dollars and tend to only reach a certain level of development before they are abandoned. If their stuff is working for you then great, hopefully that will continue indefinitely, just don't expect too much more, and don't be surprised if that feature or fix you've been waiting for, finally arrives in ver 2.

Having a blast with this peculiar fellow.
Some of my first recordings with the Cocoquantus 2, processing the Lorre-Mill Double Knot.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/sets/c ... al_sharing

It's confounding but compelling. Reminds me of like a cross between Strega and a Tyme Sefari.

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:03 pm still no word on the pests :cry:
I think it'll be next month at the earliest ... :|

My MINDBURNER MIDI-10 arrived today. Looks cool as ...

mindburner_midi_10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 pm

mindburner_midi_10.jpg
nice!!

yeah, it's not looking too imminent for the pests, sadly.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 pm

mindburner_midi_10.jpg
I’m likely getting one of these too. Didn’t know they existed before confusing it for the Norns Shield. It’s decently priced… Same as the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru box I’m using now, but of course more ports.

This might be an October purchase for me unless I start offloading unused gear. I keep procrastinating because I hate the selling process.

Here's a quick clip of the Cocoquantus with a simple kalimba loop. This might give you a better idea of what it actually does.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/coco-kalimba

This thing just oozes character but it can be surprisingly clean. Perhaps clean is the wrong word... maybe surprisingly recognizable? In any case, you can hear the original unaltered loop at the beginning and end.

Syntakt.
IMG_20220809_104623797_ds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I bought a Virus TI (1) and so far I really like it. Also, no Problems with the VST in Ableton 11.

I just spur of the moment bought a SP404 MK2...good price from Juno (UK) helped. It was the V2 update that rekindled my interest....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:41 pm I just spur of the moment bought a SP404 MK2...good price from Juno (UK) helped. It was the V2 update that rekindled my interest....
the sampler?
i have an old original pre usb version.
definitely plenty of fun :tu:
have been tempted to update, but other things steal funds :lol:

going for a drive today to check out a Marshall jvm 205c 2x12.
at just under 80 lbs, I'm not sure I'll be able to get it into the car (or out of it).
Pretty sure I don't 'need' another 50 watt amp.
I think my overactive 'want' glands will defeat all logical thought processing.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I bought a Genos arranger.
I would have thought it would help with creativity. I thought I'd use it without a computer.

Now I'm reverse engineering the SFF2 format... to hack styles in hex editors.
More time spent for "computer work" rather than enjoyment.
Partially disappointing. Also, it cost me and arm, a leg and I had to make a deal with the devil. I expected more control over the instrument.
I think there are engineers and musicians at Yamaha, and they don't talk much. And I blame the "pro" demos which take your breath away, without pointing out the limitations.

It sounds ok (very cool brass, a little short on synth patches), I like the keybed a lot... but damn, the software is limited. If I get the spec right, maybe I'll write a utility to manage the CASM stuff and share it here.
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”